Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

The fish thing

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru March 2003 » Archive Thru January 2003 » The fish thing « Previous Next »

Giovannigray
Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I usually drink my absinthe at a water:abs ratio of 3:1, but yesterday I had a glass of Emile 68 with less than my usual amount of water, a little over 2:1. The result was an extremely smooth, extremely complex, flavorful drink. This stuff never ceases to amaze me.

Oh, and the fish smell...still there in my six-month-old bottle, but it makes no difference at all. There's no trace of it in the finished drink. If anyone reading this thread is hesitant to try Emile 68 because of all this fishy talk - forget it - don't deprive yourself of the best commercial absinthe on the market.

Can't wait for their La Bleue.
Wolfgang
Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have a chick on my screen but no, I can't detect any fishy smell... HO wait !...
_Blackjack
Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

Did everyone who detected a fishy smell have a chick in the room?

As if any guy on this board has ever seen a real girl...
Nolamour
Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I spoke of this on the other "Fishy Emile" thread.

I remember grabbing the package off my porch: Black and Yellow bag with some odd box shaped contents. My thinking was that I smelled some flowers from across the way in the garden. When I brought the package inside and began dissecting the bag...There it is again, that floral smell. I didn't think of fish, but flowers...and there was my 1st Emile.

That has not happened again, however, but it was from the bottle or the package itself. Anyone else get the floral scent?
Destiny
Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Grab your bottles of Hydorgen Peroxide and remember... if it fizzes, stay away.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Where's the Forum Ho's when you need them?
Destiny
Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think I've solved it. Did everyone who detected a fishy smell have a chick in the room?
Zman7
Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Both my bottles of Sapine and E68 still have the slight "fish" thing going on. It's not all that noticeable, but it is there. After watering and sugaring, it fades way, way, way, back into the background. For my money, Sapin and E68 are the best out there today, commercially speaking.
_Blackjack
Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My initial theory may have been half-right, in that when the bottle was more full, there was less surface area from which the smell-inducing chemicals might take flight, so while it was there all along, there wasn't enough to detect. I dunno. My girlfriend, who smells real good ;), didn't detect anything fishy at first, either.
Admin
Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My understanding is that they've solved all fish problems, which wasn't much of a problem in the first place. heh.
Sambeau
Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Has anyone noticed the fish thing with the Sapin? I was planning to buy one or the other before Feb 1. I was leaning toward Emile "regular" but now I don't know.
Artemis
Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My guess is that it was there but not noticed at first. I know that was the case with me and Emile. I don't understand it getting WORSE, though. It usually gets better.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I had a similar experience. Once I received a sample that tasted really good, actually excellent. After some time (a month, two) I went to drink the rest and the taste was really off, undrinkable. Not fishy, or bitter, or anything I can put my finger on, just disgusting.

I have never read of a process that would produce this effect.
Gasspectro
Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

BJ,
I don't know why it would be showing up six months after opening the bottle. I would be the last person to call your organoleptic senses into question, but I would bet that the smell was there from the begining, and you, for whatever reason, didn't notice it. That particular smell can also be attributed to pushing the temperature of the distillation too hard, or not maintaining an even temperature as the distillate flows. Alot of the old texts are quite clear about monitoring the temperature, not just for absinthe, but for most distallations.
_Blackjack
Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Then why would it start showing up 6+ months after the stuff was distilled?
Gasspectro
Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The fish smell is "tails" creeping into the heart of the distillation. Some of it will fade with time, but once it's there, there will always be some.
_Blackjack
Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

To answer my own question, a fishy smell is often associated with amines, which doesn't narrow things down much, since that includes a huge number of organic compounds.
Baz
Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

not what I expected to see in this thread after reading that topic..
_Blackjack
Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Back when the whole Emile 68/fishy smell thing started, I was one of those who declared that there was no fishiness to my bottle. Well, I just happened to stick my nose to the bottle last night, and dammit, if there wasn't a slight, but not unpleasant...nautical tone.

Here's my theory: I hadn't drunk much of my Emile since I got it, and it was probably only last month that the level got down past the neck of the bottle, exposing a larger surface to the air. I'm guessing that there is SOME reaction taking place when the surface of the liquid is exposed to air, and that all you alkies had drained your bottles so quickly that it happened more quickly for you.

The question remains, what is causing it? Do any of our chemists know what chemicals can produce a fishy smell? Have the later bottles of Emile shown this tendancy?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page