Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

New Article for Fee Vertians to chew ...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru March 2003 » Archive Thru January 2003 » New Article for Fee Vertians to chew on ... « Previous Next »

I_B_Puffin
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

all the Absinthe I drink makes me really really slurry and hammered after 24 oz!

All the absinthe I drink kills me after 24 oz. But I'm feeling much better now.
Destiny
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Then give me extra wormwood in that pastis, the wormwood is my favorite part of pastis (except for the nipple underneath!)

>;-p
Drinkslinger
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Sorry sir, that's not legal in this state"...

"Perhaps a nice pastis instead"?
Louched_Liver
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Pint of absinthe, barkeep. And spare the water!"
Drinkslinger
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

This fellow calls for "roughly 3oz" of absinthe in each glass. He's trying to tell us that after 8 glasses of absinthe (24oz) that he's amazingly clear headed?

I gotta start drinking the czech crap, 'cause all the Absinthe I drink makes me really really slurry and hammered after 24 oz!
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Come on, it gets better:

"Eight glasses in and I was starting to get drunk—and something else."

Maybe this was the guy who died after 9 shots.
Drinkslinger
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Liquorish-Good
Licorice--Not so good
LickHerItch-- It depends on what's causing the itch.
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Licorice, liquorish, lick-'er-itch ...
Crosby
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sounds yummy.
Artemis
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

Foremost of the stimulants is thujone, the psychoactive chemical at the heart of the herb wormwood, which, along with anisette, gives absinthe its bitter, black liquorish taste.

I stopped reading right there.
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Do we really have to read it?

"Holy Christ, what the fuck is that?" sounded better in THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT.
Artemis
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

You drink absinthe and you think, “Holy Christ, what the fuck is that?”

Since the writer was drinking Czech "absinthe", I would have to agree.
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

http://www.moderndrunkardmagazine.com/issues/11-02/11_02_absinthe.htm

If this was already posted, well, read it again goddamn it.
Artemis
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

I think that the point is rather that the final concentration of thujone in all samples is far lower than has hitherto been quoted and is almost incidental, as it will depend on so many variables. Our own experience shows that thujone can vary considerably from batch to batch even using the same recipe.

ALMOST INCIDENTAL!!

Told ya so. It kills rats, though, if you dump a truck load of it on the rat, so look out.
Tuivel
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

5mg/l in beverages with up to 25% alcohol.
10mg/l in beverages with more than 25% alcohol.
35mg/l in beverages that are labeled as 'Bitterspirituose'. (amer aux plantes d'absinthe)

I'm not 100% sure but it looks like you can label almost anything as 'Bitterspirituose' as longs as it's above 50% and contains some herbs. So i believe that it's not today's thujone-limit that's to blame for crappy modern Absinthe.
Destiny
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I thought that the legal limit was 10mg/l.
Tuivel
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 2:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

>>The part that I find interesting is that the La >>Bleau has 250% of the allowable thujone, as per >>the EC.
??
The La Bleue in the article is well below the legal limit of 35mg/l. If it wasn't illegal to produce in switzerland they could sell it anywhere in Europe.

So if you can make a good Bleue with 25mg/l i don't think there's a need for comercial producers to adjust the recipes. Just label it as a 'bitter' like Matahari,Versinthe and Ulex have done.
Destiny
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I know that going after optimum thujone level is not the goal, but is the thunjone level in absinthe dependent on the quality of the wormwood or the time of year it was harvested? The potency of herbal extracts can vary greatly depending on these (and other) variables - is wormwood any different and do the distillers take this into consideration to provide a consistant product?
Absinthedrinker
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think that the point is rather that the final concentration of thujone in all samples is far lower than has hitherto been quoted and is almost incidental, as it will depend on so many variables. Our own experience shows that thujone can vary considerably from batch to batch even using the same recipe.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The part that I find interesting is that the La Bleau has 250% of the allowable thujone, as per the EC.

So, what is it? Are the Swiss "piling up" on the wormwood, or are the commercial absinthe makers "adapting" their traditional recipes to comply with EC limits?
Admin
Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ian has graciously allowed me to publish his erudite article "Absinthe - Separating Myth from Reality"

http://www.feeverte.net/thujone.html

and I'm still working on getting the Frenchman/Artemis Dox updated and corrected. sooooon!

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page