Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Coupling

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » Coupling « Previous Next »

Celticgent
Posted on Thursday, February 6, 2003 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Great FLick! I LOVE that version of "Mad World".
Drinkslinger
Posted on Wednesday, February 5, 2003 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Donnie Darko... I liked it. Anything that provokes thought these days, is thumbs up for me.
Bjacques
Posted on Sunday, February 2, 2003 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Coincidentally enough, the soundtracks from those two movies were the first to use the "melt your Apple CD player" protocol, for which Philips refused to allow the "Compact Disc" symbol.

Funny, I did get that world map graphic on a DVD of Donnie Darko, but I was able to switch the region on my PC's DVD drive. You can swithc regions only 5 times, unless you upgrade its firmware and use the free program DVDGenie.
Marc
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have a Jaton region free player. Its great. American made.
It converts Pal without artificial stretching like other
players.
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

We needs us a DVD player smart enough to hold all the region codes.

Where do the codes live? Eh? Volatile memory or CPU?
Raschied
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

One word of warning about "all-code" players.

Sony so far is the only one to use it, but the other DVD producers may jump on the bandwagon. I'm talking about RCE - Region Code Enhancement. It's a yukky technology add-on that was developed to combat region-free players. If your player doesn't support it, or doesn't have a region assigned at all, the disc won't play.

If you put an RCE disc in a region-free player, you will just see a world map, and a message saying that this disc is region 1 only.

What sucks is RCE discs are not backwards-compatible with older players (like my region 1 Fisher DVD player) and thinks the older models are region-free, when they aren't! Any DVD player you buy today will support RCE, but the older players (a year old or so) won't necessarily work.

So far the only 2 major titles I know of with RCE are "Spiderman" and "XXX" but the list may grow in the future.

We now leave this tech rant, and return you to your regularly scheduled topic - British Sex!
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A guy I worked with LOVED that
Daewoo...
Thegreenimp
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Pick up an Apex 1500 DVD player (very inexpensive)......then go to this website

http://www.nerd-out.com/

Reflash the firmware and you can play anything.
best deal under a hundred bucks that you will ever find.....( Next to Emile Sapin)
Lot's of good info on other players there too.
The Daewoo 5900 is a good canidate too.

Jay
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

There's a dillemnema...
A player of 5 with only one region?
Or a player of 1 that plays every region?

Or "fuck it, gimmie bo'fum!"
Admin
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I will get an all code player some day. Because there is so much foreign media I am simply dying for.

The only thing is, I'm in love with my 5 disc Sony changer ...
Emmy
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

the promlem with that link for us in the states, nola, is that the uk version won't play in most of our dvd players because it's coded for a different region. however if you've got an all-codes player you'll have no prob. i been meaning to get one myself, sometimes you can find one for like $250. a lot of anime sellers also offer all-code dvd players since japanese dvds are yet a different code.
Nolamour
Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006G9X4/ref=ase_petesipplespages/026-4937977-6271621
2loucheltrec
Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

good, i've managed to catch a couple episodes on pbs on recommendations from people on this forum and was hoping it would be on dvd.
Admin
Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

was it Bob? I bonded with someone on the BBC's "Coupling" series ...

just to let ya'll know that they've finally released season 1 on dvd:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000797E5/sepulchritude

keeping fingers crossed for season 2 and 3.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page