Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

My BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » My BOY!!!!!!!!!!!! « Previous Next »

Crowlyman
Posted on Saturday, February 1, 2003 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, I heard about it...things like that don't float very well with the Chicagoans. Reinsdorf may finally be run out of town for that.
Artemis
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's not Comiskey any more. They renamed it today. Somebody paid $68 million or so to name it after a corporation.
Crowlyman
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Might be awhile before that can happen sadly. Maybe around baseball season as I'd really like to catch a Cubs game or three this year. I am mainly a Sox fan, but Comiskey offers me nothing but ghetto and robbery.
String
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Crowly,
Congrats!
I will share my Emile 68 with you. Email me next time your coming up to the northside of town.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That's the whole damn problem, it's a crap shoot.

Did my downstairs neighbor just keep having kids in the hope one would be the Hidden Imam? He's up to nine, and counting...

But yes, he's a glorious little Jack, on his way to joining the esteemed ranks of London, Nicholson, Pollock, Kennedy and all the rest. Maybe he'll save us all.
Crowlyman
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It sure would be nice of any of the usual suppliers to hook up a small discount on shipping of some absinthe....
:)
I haven't had the Emile 68 as of yet....hmmmm

;)
Nolamour
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I had my sons name picked out long ago...

Xiu Xiu, Raise the Red Lantern, Red Firecracker Green Firecracker, King of Masks, Farewell My Concubine, etc...All great Chinese films. There's a good one that just came out called "The Blue Bicycle" or something like that...it's pretty good, but not old school.
Crowlyman
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I like your idea about Buddhism being a toolkit for the mind and body rather than a religion...that bodes well with me.
Artemis
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"lucious color"

Has always been a staple of Chinese films, apparently. Years ago, in Chinese language school, they used to take us into town on Fridays, to the local Chinese theater (this was in California) to see a movie. Sometimes it was only a hop and chop feature, sometimes not; the only thing that mattered was that the movies were in Chinese. I remember a movie in which the change of the seasons was featured; the autumn colors seemed to bleed right off the screen. Autumn by Van Gogh.

For an introduction to Buddhism as Buddha is said to have taught (this would be the Theravada sect; there are numerous Buddhist sects), you can't do better than "What the Buddha Taught" by Walpola Rahula. See:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0802130313/002-8566655-5194413?vi=glance

This isn't an endorsement of Amazon, just an easy way to show you what I'm talkin about.

Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind and The Three Pillars of Zen, also listed on that Amazon page, are good introductions to Zen, which is a Mahayana sect of Buddhism. I've never really looked at Buddhism as religion so much as a toolkit for the mind; you can work it in with the bits and parts of other religions you choose to follow if you like. I hear what you're saying about Catholics; I was raised Catholic myself.
Crowlyman
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I dig the Pee All You Can Pee romper!
Crowlyman
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks everone. Nola, are you really naming your upcoming boy Jackson? If so, how's that fer coincidence?

Artemis, if you like Chinese film check out Xiu Xiu The Sent Down Girl. A great tragedy and the most lucious color in any film I have seen in quite some time.

Also, for someone who seems to have alot in common with Buddhism (myself--sans study) how or where do I begin looking into it? I have decided (along with my lovely wife) that Jack needs some sort of spiritual guidance as he grows up and we both abhor Catholicism (her upbringin) and I dislike Christianity as a whole. To me, most religions want to be Buddist but fail through the political ends. Buddhists are always so positive while most Christians (especially catholics-no offence) seem bitter and cold. I'd like to raise Jackson in a very positive home. That's a rare thing these days, but hey, shoot for the moon right? Never know, I might hit it.
Artemis
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Haven't seen that movie, but it sounds right up my alley. Is it in Chinese? I like sappy tearjerkers. They offer relief from my everyday cynical life. And I shed a tear when I saw the Buddha face on that baby. No, really. The little guy looks so happy to be here, who am I to deny him his 75 years? Go for it, Jack.
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Saw it, but found it sappy. Seemed more a tearjerker than anything else. But maybe I was having a cynical day.
Nolamour
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Artie...

Have you ever seen a movie called "King of Masks"? It's got the living bodhisattva character as a Chinese Opera singer.

It's actually one of the best foreign films I've seen. You should check it out.
Artemis
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm out.
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Say hello to Jack!"

Um, okay ... Hi Jack!

(Airport Security rushes forward and drags me away in handcuffs.)

Over and out. Back to you, Artemis.
Artemis
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Avalokiteshvara (Kuan Yin) was a disciple of the Buddha Gautama. Having achieved perfect enlightenment, he would never have to undergo human life again, but he vowed to do so, again and again, until the end of time, to help everyone achieve what he achieved. Therefore he is the bodhisattva of infinite compassion, "he who hears the cries".

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~mooncharts/heartsutra/
Artemis
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

But in itself, is the addition of one more life to the teeming multitudes really anything to celebrate?

Yes.

No.

Maybe.

He's got the Buddha face; his arrival could be a very good thing indeed. You never know when Kuan Yin is checking back into skin and bones to show the teeming multitudes the way.

http://www.baus.org/baus/library/ekye1.html
Nolamour
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Kick Ass Crowlyman...

Very cool name you've given to your new son...my son's first name will be Jackson as well. Via Andrew Jackson.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Really, I'm never sure it's appropriate to congratulate people when they reproduce. I mean, if that's what they wanted, great; their happiness is my happiness. But in itself, is the addition of one more life to the teeming multitudes really anything to celebrate?
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Congratulations, that's a small red person. Apparently you've reproduced. Way to go. You've fulfilled one of your basic biological imperatives. Rock on.
Barsnake
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Congrats on yer new arrival!
You need to get him one of these!
http://www.wackyplanet.com/peeallyoucan.html
Crowlyman
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

But of course my dear sir!
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Despite that name you put on
the birth certificate...

You ARE going to call him
"Head" right?
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Looks like a lil' Serpis baby
all wrapped up in green.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Congrats, congrats!! That lil' feller looks freshly squeezed.
Crowlyman
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My boy has arrived!!!!!! Now I need to replenish my absinthe supply. Tis a difficult task with a preggers wife and a new house.

http://www.growingfamily.com/webnursery/babypage_view.asp?URLID=8H9V0F9P0A

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page