Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Absinthin?

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru March 2003 » Archive Thru January 2003 » Absinthin? « Previous Next »

Artemis
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

C15H20O4, that's absinthin.

Absinthol is just another word for thujone, I believe.
Artemis
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"he told me they'd found out that most of it doesn't seem to make it into the final distilate"

I've been saying that here for over a year. You previously wrote:

"The main goal(of the distillation) isn't to extract the wormwood oil but the absinthin ... "

If their goal is to extract absinthin, but most of it isn't making it into the distillate, I submit the Three Stooges haven't joined the forum but are working the still.

Zman's post was 100% correct. "Absinthins" is what they are. They are bitter. You don't need to search for a better word than bitter; there isn't a better word, but I seem to remember Don telling me they were tannins, so astringent wouldn't be off-base.
Threestooges
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The numbers are all over the place, plus the information is incomplete. You would have to know the quantity of wormwood, the percentage of alcohol, the quantity of alcohol used for the primary maceration, temperature, and the length of time of the maceration. These factors will produce consistent results, given that you used wormwood of the same consistency (flowers, leaves, stems).
Tuivel
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you all. I thought something smelled fishy there.

"In what way is this person "associated"? Going for donuts? They better keep him away from the stills. "

Well i'm not sure, but he answers their emails, he's got the same surname as the boss, and he has the power to make the Tech's at the still's do little experiments concerning thujone.(he told me they'd found out that most of it doesn't seem to make it into the final distilate, mentioned something like "1kg of the macerated woormwood yields between 1 - 7 mg thujone in the distilate depending on the quality of the wormwood")
Threestooges
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think there may be some problems with the terminology used, however the physical results are the same. Most of the undesirable tastes and aromas will not distill. The online article “Absinthe & Thujone” updated by Don Walsh at:
http://www.chem.ox.ac.uk/mom/absinthe/absinthe.html describes absinthins as extraordinarily bitter compounds, which must be excluded from the distillate. While the famous book titled “Absinthe History In a Bottle”, page 153, describes the oils derived from wormwood as “absinthol”. I would describe the extraordinarily bitter compounds as astringencies; these astringencies are left behind in the distillate. The distillation will produce clean absinthium bitterness, along with other characteristics based on the herbs that were macerated. As a note, some of the undesirable taste “astringencies” will escape with the alcohol vapor, this is due to the saturation of these undesirables toward the end of the distillation, especially when the temperatures increase due to the change in the ratio of alcohol to water.
Artemis
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Zman is correct.

In what way is this person "associated"? Going for donuts? They better keep him away from the stills.
Zman7
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Absinthin is the bitter compound(s)you want (for the most part) to leave behind by distillation. Some of it sneeks by though in the distillation process, hence your absinthe (real absinthe anyway)has a slight bitterness tasted neat. If you were trying to get the abisinthins in, a simple herbal maceration in alcohol would do.
Tuivel
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Today someone who is associated with a large professional comercial Absinthe distillery told me something like this:

The main goal(of the distillation) isn't to extract the wormwood oil but the absinthin which is the main flavorgiving compound of the wormwood plant. Most of the wormwood oil goes into the heads/tails of the distillation and is thrown away.

I thought it was the other way round? Arent the bitter Absinthin's supposed to be left behind?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page