Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Interesting Idea for an Absinthe Glas...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru March 2003 » Interesting Idea for an Absinthe Glass... « Previous Next »

Moonman's friend (Wolfgang)
le Vicomte
Username: Wolfgang

Post Number: 848
Posted on Saturday, February 8, 2003 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tristan...then try some low-anis absinthes...
Tristan_Ii
Posted on Thursday, February 6, 2003 - 4:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wow. You know, I had stopped coming around here.... I had purchased a bottle of Herbsainte, and hated it. I was worried that I would hate the One Drink when I finally got around to buying it.... I'm not sure I like Anis.

But when I came across the glasses on a whole other board, I felt I had to share. I'm glad... and the glasses and such are beautiful.
Traineraz
Posted on Saturday, February 1, 2003 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

Traineraz collects this type of glass, I think.

Traineraz is currently throwing out all unnecessary CRAP. Collecting ugly glass does not work within that mindset. If'n I cain't eat it, drink it, er fuck it, I don't be a-needin' it! :)
Absinthespoon
Posted on Saturday, February 1, 2003 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oxy those are beautiful! I'm very envious. (these would satisfy both of my collecting obsessions!)
Oxygenee
Posted on Saturday, February 1, 2003 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Uranium glass was used for a variety of absinthe-related items: here are 3 swirl glasses, an Absinthe Mugnier carafe and a spoonholder advertising a well-known glassworks.

Uranium Glass Daylight

Uranium Glass UV
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Heh heh, he said "Hills".
Crowlyman
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The feds are on this thread by now! you could be telling the TERRORISTS WHERE TO GET MATERIAL!!!!!!!!!!! run for the hills!!!!!!!!!!
Artemis
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That's why I was so excited about meeting him. I had read the New Yorker piece only a few months before I heard he was going to visit that plant - no way I was going to miss that show.

He seemed politely amused that a technical type such as I was so thrilled to meet him, the sculptor. He was far and away one of the most fascinating people I've ever met. He told me he had never bothered to read the New Yorker piece that made him famous; he laughed when I related parts of it to him but didn't deny anything.

I had forgotten all about him until the uranium kitchen ware was brought up. I didn't see the lecture at artscatalyst until about five seconds before I posted the link here. Nice how this forum opens (reopens) all sorts of doors.
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wigged out and very intelligent. Fiction can't touch it.
Artemis
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oops! He did get a license of some type, just not for a mining/milling operation. The NRC has oversight over all types of licenses for doing all sorts of things with radiation.

See:

http://www.artscatalyst.org/htm/eots/nuc.htm
Artemis
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Obviously I was wrong about the guy obtaining a license, but he looked into it.
Artemis
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I found the picture I had taken of the sculptor and me - his name is James Acord.

At the time he had a traveling show with a nuclear physicist named Robert Schenter: art and medicine in the nuclear age. Acord once called the power plant I mentioned previously to ask if they had any spare Uranium!! Somehow he got forgotten on hold on that call! To keep up his Fiesta mining operation, they wanted him to to put up $380,000 for a license. James wanted the reactor kept open so he could make art, the physicist wanted to make sources for radiation treatment of illness. They put on a good show and of course got everybody at the plant to write to the president in support of keeping the reactor running, but the government shut it down anyway, supposedly for lack of money.
Artemis
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Denver because of the high altitude. You're closer to the sun, with less atmosphere between it and you for protection. The sun of course emits radiation.
Artemis
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, it's not any big deal as plates and saucers, but this guy had ground up a LOT of orange Fiesta ware, more than you could probably get your hands on today, because back then it wasn't so desired by collectors. What he had would definitely give you a significant dose if you carried it around in your pocket; that's why they took it away from him. If I remember correctly, he actually finagled a license from the NRC at some point so he could get his hands on some serious source material. He later gave all the Rube Goldberg stuff up when they allowed him access to the test reactor; after that he was playing with the big boys toys.
Alphasoixante
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

why denver in particular?
_Blackjack
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My girlfriend was briefly enamored with Fiesta Ware, but got scared off by the whole radioactivity thing. The exposure rate standing 1 m from a display of 40 orange Fiestware dishes for 1 hour is less than you'd get from 1 in an airplane at cruising altitude, and only a little more than you'd get from living in Denver for an hour. The absorbed equivalent dose is probably less than that. What isn't altgether clear is how much of the uranium oxide might get leeched into food when eating off of them, in which case the danger isn't so much radiation but nephrotoxicity.

Personally, it falls well withing my personal margin of risk, which is that I'm not afraid of anything that is less risky than driving on the Washington Beltway.
Artemis
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The orange Fiesta ware was made with Uranium to lend the orange color. An artist in the Northwest U.S. became fascinated with the idea of working with radioactive materials some years back - he wanted to make a table top reactor. Not being able to obtain the necessary fuel, he began collecting all the orange Fiesta ware he could find at garage sales, etc. He ground the stuff up, flushed out the pottery and retained the Uranium until he had somewhat less than a little 35mm film can full. At a certain point, it finally dawned on him that the stuff could be dangerous, so he took it to the Washington state authority that deals with radioactive safety. They put a geiger counter to his film can and promptly confiscated it. I read all this in The New Yorker. I later met the guy in person at a nuclear power plant in the Northwest - he was campaigning to keep a government-owned test reactor open so he could continue to use it to make his art (he had moved up a long way in knowledge and access to resources since the magazine article). Fascinating guy.
Absinthespoon
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 7:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I collect vaseline glass too. They actually still make it. It contains 2% uranium oxide.
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 5:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Traineraz collects this type of glass, I think.
Tristan_Ii
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 4:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Apparently it was popular in the past to make glasses and other glass items with a small amount of Uranium in the mix.

It creates a glass that is yellow to green in color, that flouresces.

http://www.parkcity.ne.jp/~ken-toma/L1/L1-4.jpg

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page