Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through January 31, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru March 2003 » Louchelounge.com??? » Archive through January 31, 2003 « Previous Next »

Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh yeah, it's a tall one too, baby!
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tell you what I know...

I'm enjoying a glass of something
almost two years old that STILL kicks
the asses of anything commercially
available.

nyah nah,nyah nah,
nyah nyah!!!

"Nah yall can go on
an' rahd yer bahcycles!"
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ah, I see, BJ, that you are also language challenged. So I will post it again.

"OK, this is the last fucking time I talk about the NYGT. " "

It's OK. The sheep have been bleating for almost two years now, it's hard to change routines.

You guys have been fucked in the ass (HARD)by Jade for two years.... TWO YEARS!@!!!!

And you get all worked up about a sample of an amateur out of Petaluma, CA.???
_Blackjack
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I don't think it's so much a question of the quality if your absinthe as your insistance that those criticizing it must somehow be in cahoots to smear you. Marc is not the sort of person who would go to the trouble to concoct a fake sample and send it to other people just to make somebody look bad. If Marc has a problem with somebody, he'll cuss them out in public, not concoct an over-elaborate cockamamie scheme behing their back.

"And it would have worked too, if it wasn't for you meddling kids!"
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Listen, Lavinia, I was talking about Jade's marketing mistakes. Why bring the NYGT up again?

Fine. My absinthe is the worst absinthe in the world. Happy now?

Jade is still the most amateurish badly managed attempt at making absinthe ever made.
Marc
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

dr. o,

you have created the controversy.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Arty, I appreciate (really) your olive branch.

But I think that by now my absinthe has been too much an object of controversy.

I will be happy to live in an universe where my absinthe has been much appreciated by people for 5 years, except for the time at the NYGT where it became a piece of shit.

Maybe it was a piece of shit all the time. So be it.

Send it to a panel of experts? It has been. To experts, not a panel. But whatever they told me in private, I can't reveal, so I have to admit that to the world, my absinthe is what was described in the NYGT.

The worst absinthe in the world. Fuck, I'll live.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dear Kallisti:

Since you have problems understanding plain English, I will quote your quote of my quote (or whatever)

"Dr.Ordinaire Posted: Jan 28 2003, 02:55 PM

OK, this is the last fucking time I talk about the NYGT. "

What part about "...last fucking time..." don't you understand?

BTW, didn't this Forum have a rule about personal attacks? Has it been suspended for this thread?

Or maybe "liar", "paranoid", "delusional", "sick", "prick" and "miserable piece of shit" don't count as personal attacks?

I wasn't talking about the NYGT, or anything. Tell La-la-la Lavinia to lay off, I'm not interested at all in fighting with him.
Artemis
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Dr.Ordinaire Posted: Jan 28 2003, 02:55 PM"

That 02:55 PM irritates me. 02:55 is by definition is 02:55 AM. There is no such thing as 02:55 PM. But I digress. I never saw that post; was it erased? Doesn't matter; I've seen it now.

Everybody makes mistakes; most people get better at what they do. Dr. O, you could redeem yourself by making killer stuff and submitting it to a panel of respected tasters for review. If it's shit now, it doesn't matter what it was in the past. If it's great now, ditto. And if you don't care, you ought to let it rest. I'm confident that no matter what was in that other stuff, nobody did anything to it other than taste it.
Admin
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

sorry, but I need to interject.

Dr. O, the idea that marc deliberately sabatoged the Dr.'s brew sent to him or replaced it with another foul concoction is patently obsurd. I'm saying it here because there doesn't seem to be anyone over there saying it.

Quote:

Dr.Ordinaire Posted: Jan 28 2003, 02:55 PM

OK, this is the last fucking time I talk about the NYGT.

Yes, BJ, when I came into the Forum I was using 3 g of A. absinthium in
the coloring process. We all know that since I was (to my knowledge), the
only guy there who ever shared his recipe. Shortly afterwards, I became
aware of Artemis' excellent translation of the Treaty on the Manufacture
of Liquours.

Dr. O, not being an imbecile, quickly saw that NONE of the traditional
recipes used A. a. in the coloring step. So he changed his recipe.

That's what let him know that was not his absinthe what was tasted at the
Forum: there, one expert after the other tasted the 3 g of Artemisia
absinthium THAT WAS NEVER THERE.

And, BJ, what you actually said of the Dr's brew in the Forum was that you
had liked it at the time but since then you had tasted better things.

Can we start talking shop now?

This is to make Hogsmackers here slightly envious.

Are you saying that you sent marc his sample *after* you posted the Dr.'s pendell based recipe here and henceforward changed it? If not, please enlighten, because the archives are confusing me on this score.
Raschied
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I came from a similar situation in the video industry. The company I worked for went to every video trade show hyping a product that would revolutionize the video world, and would sell for 1/100th the cost of the traditional gear. In 1997 at the NAB show in Vegas, we had the other video vendors around us vehemently denying we could ever bring such a product to market. They were interrupting our demonstrations with questions about how poor the quality would be, how it wouldn't work, how we had been promising this for 2 years with no results, etc.

By 1998, we finally shipped the 1.0 version, and it sold like hotcakes. Everyone forgot about the the 3 year delay, and loved the product.

After a similar delay (despite the heavy hype by our marketing team, we were a small company with only 15 programmers,) we got the 2.0 version out the door in 2000. It was buggy, the newer editing component didn't work right, and it didn't live up to the hype. By 2001, the company was out of business.

The moral of the story: If it lives up to expectations, people will forget the delay in development the moment you ship it. Fail to meet expectations, and you're out of business.

Now, I have never tasted Jade, and I'll probably wait to order until I hear a few reviews here. But I'll order if it lives up to the hype, and I think everyone else here will too.

On the other hand, if Emile beats it hands down in the Pepsi Challenge, it may not be on the market long...
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 6:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh, Marc, I know you don't mean it. You're just "prodding" me.
Renee
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 2:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

This is very entertaining and educational...
Marc
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I know what we're talking about you prick. I was waiting for you to slither into the forum so I could tell you what a miserable piece of shit you are.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Err...Marc? We're talking about something else here...
Marc
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

hey ordinaire,

you are a liar, paranoid and delusional. You have accused me of doctoring the absinthe that you sent me, and that I sent on to the New York Gathering, in an effort to fuck with your reputation. You're sick. I wouldn't even know how to go about messing with your absinthe. How could I have possibly made it more abysmal than it already was?

I was linked to ordinaire's blather by friends in this forum. Where are you now?
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Chev, there is a problem with your analogy.

If your friend takes two years opening a Belle Epoque absinthe cafe in Santiago, Chile, he will still have the only Belle Epoque absinthe cafe in Santiago, Chile.

When Jade announced his "imminent release" two years ago, who was the competition? Hill's?

Since then, do I need to tell you how many good absinthes have been released? Even the claim to be the "only authentic" has been co-opted by Un Emile.
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I agree. And I'd add that, psychologically speaking, the years of waiting are much harder on the businesses' owners than on the customers-to-be.
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Your friend is wise... If you want to be the boss, you have to own the business, otherwise it belongs to the bank.

Anyway, what is 2-3 years if you can live from it for the rest of your life after that ?!
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think that it can take a LONG time for people who are not rich, and who choose not to get themselves up to their necks in bank debts, to start a manufacturing business from scratch -- especially when the materials they require, such as high proof grape spirits, are not easily had.

A Chilean friend of mine is working on restoring an old building and opening it as a "belle epoque" absinthe cafe -- and it's still not open, after nearly two years of effort. The reason is simple: money. He's not accepting any loans from the rapacious banks. This doesn't mean that something's gone wrong; it's just that my friend is taking a safer, if slower, path. Luckily for him, his brother owns the building.
I_B_Puffin
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"1) Jade will be launched, unless something goes very wrong."

What makes you think that something hasn't gone seriously wrong? Why else would it be 2 years past its expected delivery date?

Most new business fail in their first year, so what do you expect will happen when a business has been around 3 years and has yet to even release a product.
Baz
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Listen, most of the bitching is frustration. Everyone here wants Jade. Everyone here wants Jade now. You're right, we'll all buy it if it is made available. But the situation that has arrisen is to be expected; If I tell you for two years I'm going to show you the greatest thing on earth next week, and keep putting it off, you will eventually lose faith.

Market it, and I'll sure as hell buy it.
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 7:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Duh. Here's what'll obviously happen:

1) Jade will be launched, unless something goes very wrong.

2) Whether or not Mr./Ms. Forumite likes Don; whether or not he/she is pissed off that Jade hasn't been released yet, or that there have been no updates for a while, or that some "conspiracy" has occurred ... Mr./Ms. Forumite will STILL buy, try or cadge at least one of Jade's varieties (if not all of them) two seconds after they're launched. Result: Jade will win, the forumite who gets it will win, and his/her protests will collapse from their own spinelessness.

I seriously doubt that anyone here will give force to his/her complaints in any way. Will you boycott Jade, for instance? If yes, fine: at least you're willing to add acid to your teardrops, childish though they are. You'll also be leaving the sensible rest of us with more bottles to buy.
Baz
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 6:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"That Place" must be awfully cool to get this much press here. Hey, do they have those little smiley faces and gremlins?? Maybe I should check it out...

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page