Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Damn....What a Horror in The Sky!

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » The Monkey Hole » Archive Thru March 2003 » Damn....What a Horror in The Sky! « Previous Next »

_Blackjack
Posted on Thursday, February 6, 2003 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Things will be much simpler once you all declare me God-Emperor.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Wednesday, February 5, 2003 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Why do congressmen, who am not experts in, well, much of fucking anything, get to make such decisions?"

The alternative is having people who aren't elected or accountable to the public make those decisions for us. Does that sound better to you? Do you really think those people will be more immune to political pressure, or less concerned about the health of their own bank accounts?

Arguably this happens anyway, since the aforementioned non-experts usually rely on 'expert' testimony before making any
decisions at all.

It would be nice to see a body of academics set up to oversee NASA spending who were not compensated for their efforts, beyond expenses, and who faced rigorous peer review with regard to their decisions, and weren't tied to the aerospace industry in any way...

Good luck finding any.
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Wednesday, February 5, 2003 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The cost per launch and cargo room would be OK if we had built the goddamn moonbases we were supposed to be going to build.

I think they designed the shuttle to become cheaper as it went- just like anything else initially rare and specialized, the systems involved would come down in price because, hey, there would be like 1000 of the motherfuckers.

You know, to supply Lunar City and New New York and shit.

Sigh.

I think a redesign at this point would probably end up being cheaper in the long run, but then again I'm not a pork barrel spending asshole who goes by the name "mister congressman."

Why do congressmen, who am not experts in, well, much of fucking anything, get to make such decisions? Why dothey get to decide strategies during wars? Or make the call about a medical procedure or scientific research?

They don't know shit about shit. Literally, I imagine, yet if some brilliant turdologist were to show up with some great leap forward in poop-tech, they wouldn't listen to him.
Raschied
Posted on Wednesday, February 5, 2003 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I saw an interesting proposal for a cargo-carrier for orbit. It involved an extremely large laser, ground-mounted, as the propulsion system. One could be built today that could lift about 1500 lbs. into space at a time. The beauty of it is the propulsion system would never leave the ground, and it would be ready to fire again in minutes. Great for lifting smaller satellites and parts to make a space station with.

Incidently, the ISS is already crippled any posibility of going back to the moon, since they put it in the wrong orbit to use as a stepping stone for moon exploration. Stupid.
_Blackjack
Posted on Wednesday, February 5, 2003 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's not just a matter of not spending enough money. It's how the money was spent. The shuttle was ENOURMOUSLY expensive to run, relative to what it actually did, but it was a cash-cow for Boeing and Lockheed-Martin. They lobbied hard against developing newer, cheaper technologies, or against using unmanned rockets for work that didn't need humans, because they were making so much money off the shuttle program.

The fact is, the shuttles were over-built. There was no need for something with that kind of cargo capacity AND the ability to transport people. It was designed to do things we never used it for, AND it ended up costing far more per shot than had been planned. The Soviets/Russians mothballed their shuttle program after a single, unmanned flight, because they realized it didn't do anything that they couldn't do with Soyuz and Progress modules, but cost a hell of a lot more.

I certainly think we need to devote more money to the space program, but we also need to devote the money to the RIGHT programs.
Artemis
Posted on Wednesday, February 5, 2003 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

They did build a bomb.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Wednesday, February 5, 2003 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Of course congress won't give them the goddamn money, that money is needed to build bombs.
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Tuesday, February 4, 2003 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That song flew into my mind as soon as I heard.

"I saw a show on the NASA channal about ion and pulse engines, why aren't these engines in use"

Because neither provide the kind of power you need to climb out of a gravity well.

NASA recently rejected two proposals of reusable, VTOL, updated shuttles, because of course Congress won't give them the goddamn money...
Artemis
Posted on Sunday, February 2, 2003 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

People don't change much. They descended upon the bodies of Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker 75+ years ago for "souvenirs"; supposedly one asshole tried to cut off Clyde's trigger finger. Two of Clyde's grave stones were chipped to pieces by the same sort, the current marker is the third one I think, now made of metal and flat in the ground.

I knew nothing of the space shuttle incident until I read of it here. Later in the day, on TV, Fox News I think, I saw a boy standing in a field with a few other people nearby, and a black hearse parked not far away. The camera panned to a space helmet lying on the ground, and then zoomed in real close. What's the point, I thought, it's dark under there. But TV cameras are remarkable; a quick gamma correction and you could see as plain as day: what appeared to be a thatch of human hair. I was pretty well stunned.

It's a miracle as well nobody on the ground was killed along with the crew - Devo's "Space Junk" comes to mind -
"She was walkin
Through the alley
Her name was Sally
She was hit by ....... space junk
She was killed by ....... space junk"
Uncle
Posted on Sunday, February 2, 2003 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

9/11 and now this. All this death raining from the sky! NASA needes funding! This thing was flying around when I was in the fifth grade! Just a thought , let's take all the funding for wepons of mass destrucion and give it NASA! We(U.S.A.)have enough already. Let's blend air travel and space travel.How old are these aircraft thats flying around? I saw a show on the NASA channal about ion and pulse engines, why aren't these engines in use. What happen to progress?
Bjacques
Posted on Sunday, February 2, 2003 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah. I happened to be watching CNN when it happened. They were going to cover a quasi-historical landing, because of the Israeli astronaut onboard. Then they lost communication over Texas, then the news footage of the awful and beautiful trail across the sky and then I knew.

It was remarkable how quickly NASA figured out the likely cause of the accident and how quickly they communicated it to us. I used to work there, and knew the tile damage theory was probably right, since no other systems would fail all at once like that, because of built-in redundancy. Even if they could have done a spacewalk, which they couldn't really, there was no way to fix the tiles.

Some asshole put the Shuttle on eBay, but it was taken off in a few minutes. The guy needs a public ass-kicking.

Poetic justice for souvenir-hunters; that MMH/NO4 fuel is nasty, carcinogenic stuff.
Nolamour
Posted on Sunday, February 2, 2003 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, I saw Buzz as well...What a dire event.

There are assholes hording pieces of debris, for which the government has stated there will be serious consequences if caught...keep an eye out on eBay - Nothings sacred for some.

I also heard there were people trying to handle fallen debris and burning their hands. Darwin award winners no doubt.
Raschied
Posted on Saturday, February 1, 2003 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

To see Buzz Aldrin break down on NBC this morning in a middle of a report pretty much summed it up. Damn.
Crosby
Posted on Saturday, February 1, 2003 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tragic!
Thegreenimp
Posted on Saturday, February 1, 2003 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

No matter how routine it all seems, Manned Flight is still an art not without risk.
A longtime ago someone wrote, "Flying in it's self isn't inherently dangerous, but like the Sea, to a greater extent, it is very unforgiving of any error".
What a horror for the families to see on live TV.
Jay

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page