Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Absinthe de vidangeur

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru March 2003 » Absinthe de vidangeur « Previous Next »

Traineraz
Posted on Monday, February 3, 2003 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

If yer referin' to the "Serpis shits"
I think that was Trainerazz...

Hey, MY bed ain't never been RED.
Bjacques
Posted on Sunday, February 2, 2003 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ah well, it was an interesting experiment and fun to verify a bit from a para-historical novel in which Mimi from "La Boheme" would be hanging out in the hacker scene.
Emmy
Posted on Sunday, February 2, 2003 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

absinthe in lager however is interesting and oddly tasty...

after comin across a Picon-Biere recipe in one of my drink recipe books (shot of Picon in the bottom of a pint glass, fill with lager beer), i went and threw some NS in a glass and cracked open a beer from the fridge.
Petermarc
Posted on Sunday, February 2, 2003 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

absinthe mixed with red wine sucks, period...
same goes for champagne...
also, according to 'dictionnaire de l'argot du 20éme siècle' originally published in 1901 and republished in 1993 by fleuve noir ('l'argot' means slang in french-no, i don't know yet how to find a copy, but will)
an 'absinthe du vidangeur' was just a glass of red wine...
Drinkslinger
Posted on Sunday, February 2, 2003 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Champagne's sweetness varies greatly. There are some very sweet ones... and very dry ones. I've tried the "death in the afternoon" with some relatively cheap ($20-$50) bottles of bubbly of various types (Extra Dry, Brut)... I have to say that the taste doesn't really agree with me. I prefer my bubbly with only bubbly in it (well sometimes a sploosh of chambord if the bottle is too cheap).
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Sunday, February 2, 2003 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've tried this too, and I think it is a Bad Idea. Why fuck up a nice Pinot Noir like that?

Maybe I don't have an accurate picture of this drink's origin -- but it seems like a way of getting maximum kick out of a combination of cheap red wine and cheap absinthe, neither especially worth drinking on their own.

Death in the Afternoon isn't very fun either, but maybe I did that wrong. Was champagne sweeter in Hemingway's day than now?
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Sunday, February 2, 2003 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If yer referin' to the "Serpis shits"
I think that was Trainerazz...
Bjacques
Posted on Sunday, February 2, 2003 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Haha, well after that one time you mentioned its rather disgusting, er, tertiary effects...
>:-D
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Sunday, February 2, 2003 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"...can't be nastier than Slerpis!"

Oh you fucker! THOSE ARE FIGHTIN' WORDS!!!
Bjacques
Posted on Sunday, February 2, 2003 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Scavenger's Absinthe"

Absinthe mixed with red wine, according to "The Difference Engine," and a deleted article on the Swedish website winespot.com.

from Google summary:
"...tvivelaktig smak. I Absinthe minuit blandades den gröna spriten med vitt vin och i Absinthe de vidangeur med rött. Man kunde möta..."

which mentions "dubious taste" and then "absinthe minuit," which uses white wine, and "absinthe de vidangeur," which uses red.

Dubious is right, but it got me curious, and can't be nastier than Slerpis!

It's toward the end of The Difference Engine
(William Gibson & Bruce Sterling, 1991, about an alternate 1855, 25 years after Lord Byron returned from Greece and became PM, and gave Babbage money to build his monster Analytical Engine)

when a character visits a Paris cafe that's a hangout of French hackers (chief among them, the doomed Theophile Gautier), who drink absinthe and dress in black.

I tried it with one of my mediocre absinthes (Neto Costa) and some South African Pinot Noir, mixed about 1:3. It wasn't very good, but it was intriguing. Has anyone else tried this or knows of a better recipe? Or is this just generally a Bad Idea?

There's not much online, but I found these (unrelated) links:

Dictionary of mid-19th century slang:
http://abu.cnam.fr/DICO/excent/index.html

The 'Pataphysical Calendar!:
http://untilheaven.tripod.com/id93.htm

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page