Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through January 31, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru March 2003 » Emile 68 vs La Fee revisited... » Archive through January 31, 2003 « Previous Next »

Emileguysmiley
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's Bacchus, the flask is from the Godinger 1983 catalog (there was a maching corkscrew and I think a decanter). They go for about 15 bucks in the secondary market. They come up pretty regularly in the used silverplate market.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The Green Man in a flask. Oh my...
Emmy
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

woot, arty! ever since the nola gathering i been trying to remember what that looked like :) always thought of carrying a flask, but yours inspired me to finally do it. one of these days i'll find one that suits me as yours does you.
Artemis
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

flask
Emmy
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

i was just suggesting a cheapo alternative, plus you get to drink the 4 little bottles of wine and end with 4 little empty receptacles for your favorite liquid if you wish. i use them sometimes if i wanna bring a sample to someone's house and might not intend on leaving with it.

i personally have a leather bound flask that i use for my own imbibing that i picked up at BevMo a while back. a 7 ouncer i think.
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

There you go again ... blowing your own horn!
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I never realised how phallic
that thing was till now...

*hack, spit, pttptt!!!*
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The boatswain's pipe... ahh my childhood.
Mom bought me one and I would blow it
everytime Dada came out of the toilet...

Dada was always letting ships and subs
loose in there.
_Blackjack
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I like drinking N.S. 70 straight out of my flask. But may favorite club has starting frisking people on the way in...
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 6:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

http://www.stanleylondon.com/flasks.htm

Check out the miniature 1-ounce stainless steel flask.
Celticgent
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 5:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was thinking the same thing, Renee
Renee
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 2:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Anybody heard of a flask?
Emmy
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

for a cheapo vial great for just such instances, buy one of those little 4oz Gallo wine 4-packs, and save the bottles and their little metal screw tops. the tops are flimsy since they're not made for reuse, so after you rinse the bottles out, test the caps to make sure you won't be leaking... and if you're really concerned, just wrap the top in a little cling wrap. :)
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bret, ear the voice of a dedicated absintheur... Put some absinthe in a little vial that fits in your pocket. At the bar/club/wherever, order a Ricard. Drink the Ricard fast before the ice cubes melts, go to the toilet and refill the glass with your absinthe and water.

Of course you'l have to use tap water and to do it fast, which will result in a crapy absinthe...that's why you should use cheap absinthe to to this... In this department, Deva is the winner. F.Guy or Segarra would also be nice because the color is closer to Ricard...

Ok now forget about all this shit...

For a good absinthe, drink it quiet at home ;-).
I_B_Puffin
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If it got warm the anethol would melt and could be stirred back into the drink. It's insoluble in water and has a melting point of 22.50 - 23.00 °C.
Brett
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've considered putting some absinthe, water and sugar in my water bottle when I go out, but not only would it likely get warm, it would also likely seperate as happened to DS, and besides, how do you answer a question of "why does your lemonade/milk/white Sobe (or whatever you tell people it is) smell like licorice?"

I guess you could always tell them its a health tonic of herbal water and star anise.
Destiny
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The "smooth" taste of La Fee is the oil coating your throat. And you're certainly correct about the green part.

Just yankin' yer chain, I think La Fee's okay. The La Fee eyeball hypMotizes the little goth girls!
Drinkslinger
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

One time I thought I was being crafty by putting my mixed (Absinthe, H2O, sugar) cocktail in the fridge. I just couldn't finish the last glass. I figured if I put it in a closed plastic water bottle it would be as good as new in the morning.

The next day I pulled out the bottle and found, not the pale green mixture I stored the night before, but a sickly-clear-green fluid with lots of floatie things. Eeeww. It looked like a 5th grade biology project, complete with ameobas.

Never again.

Now I make sure I swill the last glass no matter how schnookered I am!
Nolan
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh well, here's my 2 cents. The new Pernod 68 tastes better than la fee, and the vesinthe blanche is, well, it has been described acurately
here. Hell try La Fee and new Pernod. They are both o.k. but Emile isn't worried about either of them.
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the 'Insider info' folks...
Giovannigray
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was disappointed by Versinthe La Blanche. All it really tastes like is regular Versinthe (strange and unsatisfying) with more star anise to enhance the louche, which, as 2louche notes, it does very effectively. But don't be fooled. It tastes nothing like a Bleue - at all.
Giovannigray
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

For flavor alone, my two favorites are Emile 68, Emile Sapin and La Fee (okay..three favorites). My impressions of Emile and La Fee is in synch with yours, 1888.

Drinkslinger's right.. you really don't have to try La Blanche... wait for the good folks at Liqueurs de France (Emile) to introduce their upcoming absinthe blanche, and proceed with Pernod or F. Guy.
2loucheltrec
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

my god does the le blanche louche, i'm sure a couple of ya' have fallen asleep (passed out) with a partial glass of absinthe laying around, right.... now that you've admitted to that you also know your absinthe will "unlouche", the remaining le blanche in my glass did not "unlouche" over night so i decided to perform an experiment ... it took just over 48 hours to "unlouche"... i haven't drank any since.
Drinkslinger
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I suppose if you like like La Fee you'll probabably like the new Pernod.

I dislike P68. It tastes sweet, and too much like anise.. with not much else.

La Blanche? It's like generic "cola" compared to Coke. Yeah, it's clear, and there's a louche, but beyond that I don't find much.

On the other hand, F.Guy is very tasty. A little light, but still very good.

I vote F.Guy next!
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ok... so I got a restock of La Fee, so I just compared my Emile 68 next to a glass of La Fee.

The Emile 68 is so very good... but you know, (I know about the LaFee being an oil mix and all...) that La Fee goes down so smoothly!

I can't explain it any other way than to say it (La Fee) is so 'creamy'. It just glides through your mouth. It leaves you in extreme anticipation of the next sip while the Emile is more like a wine. You drink... swish if that's what you do, swallow (please refrain from any embellished comments here...) and reflect.

The La Fee... you drink, swish, smile, swallow and then think to yourself that the Green Fairy truly exists and is actually living in this glass that you're drinking.

Ok... so maybe it's just me.

But as of right now, La Fee is my #1 choice followed very closely by Emile.

I've been wanting to try the Pernod 68 ... I think only because of the name and I feel like I should try the La Blanche, La Bleue or the Guy next.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page