Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through January 29, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » Lautréamont Quote of the Week » Archive through January 29, 2003 « Previous Next »

Pataphysician
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

or here
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

my picture
No poetry here.
Pataphysician
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"But know this: poetry happens to be wherever the stupidly mocking smile of duck-faced man is not."
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

More please!
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 7:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ain't you tired of Lautréamont yet?
Alphasoixante
Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

catching up for lost time:

Humankind is so great that its greatness shows itself above all in its refusal to acknowledge its misery. A tree knows not its greatness. To be great is to know one's greatness. To be great is to refuse to acknowledge misery. Humankind's greatness refutes its miseries.
Alphasoixante
Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

a bit late, but here it is:

THERE IS MORE TRUTH THAN ERROR, MORE GOOD QUALITIES THAN BAD ONES, MORE PLEASURES THAN PAINS.
Pataphysician
Posted on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 6:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Placing his hands like a crown upon refuse of every kind piled on the ground, while his leg was still caught in the twisted rails, he would reassume his normal posture, go to dip his hands in a rickety bucket whose soapy water had seen whole generations rise and fall, and then hurry away as quickly as possible from these suburban slum alleys to breathe the pure air near the town centre. When the client had left, a stark naked woman would emerge in the same manner, and make for the same bucket. There from various parts of the courtyard the cocks and hens would come thronging, attracted by the seminal odour, and knock her to the ground despite her vigorous struggles, trampling over her body as on a dunghill and pecking the flaccid lips of her swollen vagina till the blood came. Hens and cocks, gullets glutted, would go back to scratching at the courtyard grass; the woman, clean now, would get up trembling, covered in wounds, as when one wakes from a nightmare. She would drop the rag she had brought for drying her legs and, having no further need of the communal bucket, return to her lair as she had left it, to await another job. These scenes made me, too, long to enter that house!
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

?
Pataphysician
Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Pataphysician
Posted on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 6:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Man and I, immured in the limits of our intelligence as a lagoon often is within a belt of coral islands, instead of joining our respective forces to defend ourselves against mischance and ill-fortune, move away from one another trembling with hate, and take opposite directions as if each had wounded the other on the point of a dirk! It might be said that the one understands the contempt he inspires in the other; driven by the incentive of a related dignity, we take pains not to lead our adversary into error; each keeps to his separate way and is aware that were peace declared it would be impossible to preserve. Well, agreed! Let my war against man last forever, since each recognises his own degradation in the other...since the pair are mortal foes. Whether I win a Pyrrhic victory or succumb, the combat will be noble: I alone against humanity. I shall not use weapons made of wood or iron; my foot shall spurn the layers of minerals extracted from the earth: the harp with its potent and seraphic sonority shall at my touch become a formidable talisman. In more than one ambush man, that sublime ape, has already pierced my breast with his porphyry spear: a soldier does not display his wounds, however glorious they may be. This terrible war will bring sorrow to both parties: two friends stubbornly trying to destroy one another, what a drama!
Pataphysician
Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 6:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

YaHahahaha! A politician! Exactly:

"Which is what I wanted to drive at--so as to make you aware of the foundations upon which present society is based."
Traineraz
Posted on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wow, Pata, I was fooled . . . at first I thought the man was a Mormon, but now I see he's a politician.
Alphasoixante
Posted on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

...the trees whose gently-cradled leaves are so many mysteries that the dogs cannot understand...
Pataphysician
Posted on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

How nice he is, this child seated on a bench in the Tuileries Gardens! Moved by a hidden purpose, a man comes and sits beside him on the same bench, with questionable demeanour. Who is he? No need to tell you, for you'll recognize him by his devious conversation. Let us listen, let's not disturb them.

-- What were you thinking about, child?
-- I was thinking of heaven.
-- It's unnecessary for you to think of heaven: there's already enough
to consider about earth. Are you tired of living, you who have barely been
born?
-- No, but everyone prefers heaven to earth.
-- Well, not I. For since heaven, as well as earth, has been made by
God, you may count on encountering up there the very same evils as here
below. After your death, you will not be rewarded according to your
deserts, for if injustices are done you on this earth (as you will find out
later by experience) there is no reason why, in the next life, you will not
be further wronged. The best thing for you to do is not to think of God
and, since it is refused you, to make your own justice. Were one of your
playmates to harm you, would you not be happy to kill him?
-- But that's forbidden.
-- Not as forbidden as you believe. It's only a matter of not letting
oneself be caught. The justice laws purvey is worthless: what counts is
the legal skill of the injured party. If you hated one of your playfellows,
wouldn't you be unhappy upon reflecting that at every moment you might
have the thought of him on your mind?
-- That is true.
-- So there's one of your companions who would make you unhappy
all your life. For seeing that your hatred is only passive, he will merely
continue to flout and harm you with impunity. There is, then, only one
way of putting a stop to the situation, and that is to get rid of the enemy.
Which is what I wanted to drive at--so as to make you aware of the
foundations upon which present society is based. Each man must mete
out his own justice: if he does not, he is simply an imbecile. He who gains
victory over his fellow men is the slyest and strongest. Some day wouldn't
you like to dominate your fellow men?
-- Yes, yes.
Pataphysician
Posted on Monday, January 6, 2003 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey! That was runner-up for LQOTW!
Alphasoixante
Posted on Monday, January 6, 2003 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Two columns that it was not difficult and yet less possible to take for two baobab trees appeared in the valley, larger than two pins. As a matter of fact, they were two enormous towers. And although two baobab trees do not resemble at the first glance two pins, or even two towers, nevertheless while skilfully manipulating the strings of caution it may be affirmed without fear of error (for if that affirmation were to be accompanied by a single morsel of fear it would not be an affirmation; although the same name expresses these two phenomena of the mind that present characteristics sufficiently clear-cut that they are not easily confused ) that a baobab tree does differ so very much from a column that the comparison should be forbidden between these two architectural forms...or geometric forms...or the one or the other...or neither the one nor the other...or rather, massive and elevated forms. I have just found, I make no pretense of maintaining the contrary, the correct adjectives for the substantive column and baobab tree: let all men understand it is not without joy mingled with pride that I make the remark to those who, having raised their eyebrows, have made the most praiseworthy resolution to con these pages while a candle burns if it is at night, or while the sun shines if it is day.
Pataphysician
Posted on Monday, January 6, 2003 - 5:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Now you resemble a Red Indian prisoner, at least (let us note this before all else) through your expressive lack of hair. Not that it won't grow again, since physiologists have discovered that in the course of time even the brains of animals reappear after their removal. But my thought, halting at a simple statement that is not, from the little I know of it, devoid of a tremendous delight, does not even in its boldest inferences go as far as the borders of a wish for your recovery, and remains, on the contrary, entitled through the implementation of its more than suspect neutrality, to consider (or at least to wish) as presage of greater ills, what can be for you only a temporary loss of the hair which covers the top of yOur head. I hope you have understood me.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It was a foody joke. Gotcha. I'm sure 2ly got it.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

General Information:
Rich and buttery, the avocado boasts a sweet, nutty flavor. The Haas avocado has dark, pebbly skin and is smaller and creamier than the Florida avocado. Many people think of the avocado as a vegetable, but it is a fruit. In Hawaii and South Africa, the avocado is served with sugar and lime juice for breakfast. The peak season is from February to October.
Midshipman's Butter
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Another term for avocados: "Midshipman's Butter".

Watch out when bending over, sailor!
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"The name avocado appeared in English at the end of the 17th Century. The English thought an avocado was some sort of pear and so dubbed it an 'avocado pear', but later began calling it an 'alligator pear' for no other reason than that 'alligator' was a more commonly known word than avocado ..."
Louched_Liver
Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I thought the English name for avocado was "Haas".
Raschied
Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You've been eating at Chipotle again, haven't you?
Pataphysician
Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I did not know that. Lautreamont would be proud.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page