Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Cassis Quenot

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » Cassis Quenot « Previous Next »

emiliano lee, aka melinelly (Emmy)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Emmy

Post Number: 32

Posted on Sunday, February 9, 2003 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

or a more blue-collared approach: drop some in a stout or lager. also just fine as a summer refresher with just some soda or sparkling water.
Spoon Boy (Absinthespoon)
le Duc
Username: Absinthespoon

Post Number: 216

Posted on Sunday, February 9, 2003 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Cassis is meant to be used only to make kir. white wine + cassis, makes a great aperitif. Or kir royale, with champagne.

I actually like cynar. Drink it as a bitter, after your meal. It's supposed to aid digestion.
Emmy
Posted on Thursday, February 6, 2003 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

think more along the lines of homer simpson :)
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, February 6, 2003 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Could somebody please explain the appeal of the exclamation, "Woohoo"?

It sounds like something a U. of Madison sorority sister would shout out at the Cheese Festival.
Zman7
Posted on Wednesday, February 5, 2003 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Scored some Belgian "Bellevue" kriek and framboise for the weekend.
Baz
Posted on Wednesday, February 5, 2003 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you can ever get a good geuze, you MUST try it. If for no other reason, to know how all those flavored lambics start. Most of the stuff I've had in the states sucked, tho-I guess it has just been abused in transit. Man, it is Pucker-you-up sour. The main description I've seen for it in reviews is "horse blanket", and yet I love it.
Bjacques
Posted on Tuesday, February 4, 2003 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Framboos!

Raspberry that is. My neighborhood beer shop (Bierkoning, behind the royal palace) has a half dozen different lambics!
Zman7
Posted on Tuesday, February 4, 2003 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nope,it was a Framboise.
Zman7
Posted on Tuesday, February 4, 2003 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

MMMMM, Lindeman's. I got one in the fridge. Woohoo! Kriek I think.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Tuesday, February 4, 2003 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

mynar
Artemis
Posted on Tuesday, February 4, 2003 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

cynar
Celticgent
Posted on Tuesday, February 4, 2003 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

yeah, I've had the framboise and kriek lindeman's. I really liked both. neato purple head too.......
Admin
Posted on Tuesday, February 4, 2003 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

BTW Trader Joe's has $4 Lindeman's (sp?) lambics.

wahooooo! tastes like candy.
Emmy
Posted on Tuesday, February 4, 2003 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

i lub campari and pimms, there's just something about cynar that puts me off.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Tuesday, February 4, 2003 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I also bought some Underberg for
after dinner. This Cynar reminds me
of Campari or Pimms or something.

You're prolly right about the Cassis.
I was gaagaa at the sight of all of
that booze. It all blurred together.
Emmy
Posted on Tuesday, February 4, 2003 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

which one did you go to headster? i used to work at the one in jack london square...

you're probably thinking of the various cassis liquers they carry. we usually only had one cassis lambic beer (as well as a few other flavors, raspberry being the top seller).

and omg you bought some cynar... ick ick ick hehe

but definitely grab some lambics next time you're there though head. they are yummy.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Tuesday, February 4, 2003 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just went up to BevMo and saw a
few versions of Cassis Lambic on the
shelf.

Wish I'd read that before I left.
I ended up coming home with a bottle
of CYNAR! Artichoke Liqueur.
It looked intersting.

Did they have any BELLS? Nope.
Artemis
Posted on Tuesday, February 4, 2003 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you ever see a Cassis Lambic (Lambic being Belgian "naturally fermented" - i.e., sour, ale), by all means try it. As that description notes, you can almost feel that purple working on your teeth. It's very aromatic, for sure.
Barsnake
Posted on Tuesday, February 4, 2003 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Several years back, my favorite vintner, Bonny Doon, released a Cassis in very limited quantities.
"NV Cassis
A nice, fresh, new batch though same profoundly disturbing intensity. Americans still donít know from the pungently bitter, dentition dissolving and insanely aromatic black currant fruit. If you have never experienced Cassis, this may well change your life. Pour some Cassis into Big House White and show someone you kir."

This was the brief write up that was in the newsletter. - I never tried this, but did enjoy the flavor of the cassis with a nice big cigar after an artery clogging steak dinner.
Artemis
Posted on Tuesday, February 4, 2003 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Not quite.

Duplais, in the Traite de la Fabrication des Liqueurs (1900) says:

"La presque totalité des liqueurs par infusion est connue sous le nom de ratafias. D'après certains auteurs, l'origine du mot ratafia serait la même que celle de ratifier, et dériverait des deux mots latins rata fiant ... "

Almost all liquors from infusion are known by the name ratafias. According to certain authors, the origin of the word ratafia would be the same as that to ratify, and derived from the two Latin words rata fiant.

He goes on to say this is because some people would seal a deal at the end of a meal (he was a poet but didn't know it) by drinking a sweet pleasant drink.

Among the many recipes in the book for cassis drinks and/or ratafias:

Ratafia de cassis

Infusion de cassis, premiere 25 litres
Alcool a 85 degres 12 litres
Sucre 12 kilogram 500 gram
Eau commune 54 litres

As you can see, the primary thing is that infusion is involved. In this case there is no wine, but proof spirit.

There is another recipe in the book for Cassis Ratafia of Dijon, which includes cherries, raspberries, and instead of proof spirit, Vin de Bourgogne. Since the infusion is made ahead of time, the strength of the alcohol at mixing isn't of paramount importance. As far as I can tell, the "cremes" amount to the same thing, just more sugar. I think those are what we would call liqueurs, such as Creme de Menthe.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Tuesday, February 4, 2003 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ratafia is an aperitif made with wine, brandy, spices and fruit. I'm told it used to be almost exclusively made at individual homes or taverns -- kind of like cider or beer.

Cassis liqueur can be very comforting.
Artemis
Posted on Tuesday, February 4, 2003 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Probably what in the day they would have called a "creme" or a "ratafia" is my guess. It would have been sweet and syrupy, so we'd probably call it a cordial.
Sambeau
Posted on Tuesday, February 4, 2003 - 6:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the info Artemis. I guess it was an aperitif or cordial?
Sambeau
Posted on Tuesday, February 4, 2003 - 6:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Loner,

"Luthier" Acoustic Guitars OM and Auditorium types. It is more hobby than profession.
Artemis
Posted on Monday, February 3, 2003 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Cassis is a liquor flavored with blackcurrants.

Quenot was (is?) a French distiller.
Loner
Posted on Monday, February 3, 2003 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Luthier. So, what do you build?

Collector, afficianado,

Liam Coyle
Sambeau
Posted on Monday, February 3, 2003 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Any one know what it was/is?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page