Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

And you thought Absinthe was expensive

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru March 2003 » And you thought Absinthe was expensive « Previous Next »

Moonman's friend (Wolfgang)
le Duc
Username: Wolfgang

Post Number: 849
Posted on Saturday, February 8, 2003 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Laphroiag and Lagavulin are the heaviest tasting I know so far."

Guys, you should get your hands on a bottle of Ardbeg 10 before they run out of the original production. It is a very strong Islay full of smoke and iode. It's like a medicine. Impressive but not for my everyday drink.
2loucheltrec
Posted on Thursday, February 6, 2003 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

your macallan 12 is safe from me but the lagavulin is at serious risk (seeing as i'm currently out), DS, i've yet to try laphroiag but if it's like the lagavulin, you better guard that too. luckily ( for you ) you live far enough away it's difficult to sneak away and play "the mouse" draining your stash.
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, February 6, 2003 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I get through a couple of bottles a month at the moment ..."

Good Lord! Hopefully, you're sharing the stuff -- otherwise it sounds like alcoholism in action.
Mclion
Posted on Thursday, February 6, 2003 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm sure you will like most of the Islay Malts, but Laphroiag and Lagavulin are the heaviest tasting I know so far. Bowmore darkest is also very nice. Try to find some of the Gordon MacPhail Connoisseurs Choice stuff - always worth to try (maybe Caol Ila).

Markus
Timk
Posted on Thursday, February 6, 2003 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have developed quite a taste for Laphroaig recently, I get through a couple of bottles a month at the moment, I have never tasted anything quite like it, can anyone make some suggestions?
Mclion
Posted on Thursday, February 6, 2003 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Prefer my Port Ellen....

Markus
Drinkslinger
Posted on Wednesday, February 5, 2003 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've got 1/2 bottle of Lagavulin 16, 3/4 Laphroiag, 1/2 McCallan 12, Some Balvenie double wood, some Dalmore... should I go on or are you going to drive up here!
2loucheltrec
Posted on Wednesday, February 5, 2003 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

ssshhhhh!!! your making my dalwhinnie 15 call out, i hate when that happens, it's difficult to ignore, thank god there's no lagavulin 16 left or i'd be face down about now.
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, February 5, 2003 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Now I think I'll have a glass of Macallan...but just the 12 years old ;-)
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, February 5, 2003 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I wouldn't trust someone who's president of an association related to alcohol who doesn't drink... Well in fact I wouldn't trust anybody who doesn't drink, unless there's a serious medical reason.
Nolamour
Posted on Wednesday, February 5, 2003 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Damn Right, Macallan - I don't know if I'd pay that price, but I know I've spent more than I should on a similar bottle. And all that's left is the memory.

The president of the Single Malt Society (AZ) told me of his story in Scotland where he purchased a shot of scotch for $375. Swirled it, sniffed if, looked at it in the light, took a last whiff, and handed it back to the bartender. The amazed proprietor said, "Aren't you going to have a drink" and he said, "No, you can have it." It was consumed by the bar guy. Come to find out, the president of the SMS is 18 years sober.
Emmy
Posted on Wednesday, February 5, 2003 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

when i worked for BevMo, we kept the more expensive stuff in a vault... the most expensive we carried were a couple bottles of cognac... one was in the $15k range, the other was over $35k... neither kind had ever been sold in the history of the store, but some of the bigger bevmo stores do keep them on hand in the vault just in case.
Celticgent
Posted on Wednesday, February 5, 2003 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Check out the auction reserve on this vintage Macallan:

http://www.themacallan.com/vintages/archive/1856.html

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page