Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

The latest media hype - Salvia Divinorum

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » The Monkey Hole » Archive Thru March 2003 » The latest media hype - Salvia Divinorum « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through February 14, 2003Carl Guderian (Bjacq25 2-14-03  8:54 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

james McDaniel (Phirebug)
Paysan
Username: Phirebug

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, March 8, 2003 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

that's exactly the picture i was talking about. i tried to find it on the internet but couldn't. thank you! any idea what the jar of valeriana is?

rock over london, rock on chicago
wheaties-breakfast of champions
Karl (Raschied)
le Duc
Username: Raschied

Post Number: 256
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Veddy interesting!
Rock over London, Rock on Chicago.
Orkin - one call destroys 'em all.
Heathen Beaner (Emmy)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Emmy

Post Number: 56

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

st. martin de porres was actually a new world saint, and the first black american (meaning north and south, not usa) saint... here's a little blurb on him:

SAINT MARTIN de PORRES
Patron of Interracial Justice
--------------------------------------------------

Saint Martin de Porres was born in Lima, Peru on December 9, 1579. His mother's was Anna Velazquez, a free black woman and his father's was Juan de Porres, a Spanish nobleman. Martin was illegitimate, and when his father saw his dark skin he despised him and for many years abandoned his son. As a young child Martin exhibited a call to holiness. People often referred to him as the "holy negro".

Because of his reputation, his father became interested in him and brought him to Spain where he saw to Martin's education. But when affairs of government called him, Juan soon abandoned his son once again. Martin then returned home to Peru and his mother. Prior to the educational opportunities provided by his father, Martin had apprenticed with a barber-surgeon.

Martin decided to enter religious life and chose the Dominican Priory of the Holy Rosary. When he entered he requested not to be a priest or a brother (both would have been barred to him by Church and State law because of his race) but instead he asked to be admitted as a lay servant, doing the lowest tasks in the house.

When his father heard this he was furious, more for his own reputation than for Martin. He demanded that his son be admitted to full rank in the Order. Even with his father's intercession on his behalf, Martin had to be commanded by the superior to become a religious brother.
Martin never forgot where he came from. His ministry as a barber-surgeon extended to the poor and most abandoned of the city of Lima. They flocked to the Priory by the hundreds. Martin slept only a few hours, he spent his days working and giving service to the needy and his nights he spent in prayer with God.

Saint Martin was an organizer. He founded an orphanage, a hospital, schools and a home for young women to stay in before being married. Martin's charity embraced not only the people of Lima but even animals would come to him to be healed.

Dominicans are called mendicant friars because they beg for their living. Martin begged in order to help the poor who asked for his help. He tried to help people so that they would grow and be able to help themselves.

Saint Martin spent his whole life doing good for others. He practiced severe austerities, eating only bread and water during Lent and he scourged his back three times during the night. Martin wore only the most thread bare habit and wore a night shirt under his habit. He also wore an iron chain around his waist.

Martin predicted his own death, falling sick with a fever. With his Dominican Brothers around his bed chanting the Salve Regina and the Creed Martin died on November 3, 1639.
--------------------------------------------------

saintmartindeporres
Dr. O (Dr_ordinaire)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Dr_ordinaire

Post Number: 441
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

We re talking about different Salvias here. Salvia divinorum is a New World plant and was unknown to the Western World until a few years ago. Which is the salvia in the portrait, salvia officinalis?
Lordhobgoblin (Lordhobgoblin)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Lordhobgoblin

Post Number: 681

Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

James, everything portrayed in pictures of Catholic saints means something. I wonder if there is a Catholic website that could explain the significance of valerian and salvia to St Martin de Porres. I'm sure the Jesuits could give us the official reason.

james McDaniel (Phirebug)
Paysan
Username: Phirebug

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Interesting and coincidental sidenote, i was at a wedding last weekend and the church had a number of pictures of Catholic saints hung about the lobby. one of them was of Martin De Porres, and he was standing next to two pots, one marked Valeriana, and another marked Salvia. A later websearch revealed that he was known to have frequent and intense visions.

A large portion of the accounts of salvia divinorum that i have read, perhaps even a majority, describe a vision of spiritual revelation.

None of this probably means anything, but i found it an interesting coincidence if nothing else.

Deadest Elephant (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 582

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Okay, now I understand smart. It's the energy drinks, "smart" drinks, etc. I had no idea those things were so big. I haven't been in a head shop for years, so I wouldn't know what you find in those these days, either.
Karl (Raschied)
le Duc
Username: Raschied

Post Number: 253
Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, I've been in some of those "smart shops" - they put american head shops to shame. You can buy seeds, 'shrooms, and all kinds of accessories. Plus, they have all the "smart drinks" for the rave crowd. I think I have pictures somewhere...

shop near the Dam
Rock over London, Rock on Chicago.
Orkin - one call destroys 'em all.
Althea (Rosietwobears)
Mousquetaire
Username: Rosietwobears

Post Number: 17

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

im not sure about in the rest of the world, but in holland smart shops sell drinks and herbs, most of which are legal (in NL at any rate) but harder to find. i think they aim mostly at ravers who are looking for an energy boost and who want to steer clear of MDMA.
ive been in one or two with friends but im no rave kitten and i wasnt paying all that much attention. maybe i should have been!
Absinthe maketh the heart grow fonder
Deadest Elephant (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 580

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

What's a "smart shop"?

Is that like a head shop, or do you just mean a trendy shop?

FWIW, this plant was discussed at great length some time back in this forum. What intrigues me is the consistent reports of going back in time, which of course only means throwing chemical switches in the brain, but it's very tempting.

I have a cartoon frame from the "For Better or Worse" comic strip saved; the dad of the family is telling a carney worker in a ticket booth:

"I want a ticket on a ride that will take me back in time" ...

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page