Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through February 7, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru March 2003 » Thank you. » Archive through February 7, 2003 « Previous Next »

Pataphysician
Posted on Friday, February 7, 2003 - 6:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"McDonalds: Over 1 Billion Served"

That represents almost three pounds of beef!
Jakaroe
Posted on Friday, February 7, 2003 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

How do you all feel about Sebor?
Mclion
Posted on Thursday, February 6, 2003 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Skanker2 - go and get a bottle of Kübler, F. Guy, Un Emile or Segarra and I'll send you a sample of King for free. After the first (and last) glass you will immediately agree to everyone here, that King is absolutly rippoff! King is only interesting for the producer (they also produce the Staroplzenecky...) made to make quick money. They use cheap alcohol and add some wormwood. No destillation or anything. Everybody could do that for $20. It's absolutly understandable, that beginners (who tend to the sorts with the highest thujone content) want to try this, but in fact King has nothing to do with Absinthe. This is the reason, why I do not offer it!

Markus
Emmy
Posted on Thursday, February 6, 2003 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

with a jack in the box about a football field's length away from where i live, and open 24 hours, i do not even want to try to guess at how many of those 2 for 99 cent tacos i've eaten over the years... almost all after hours returning home drunk from the bar heh...

to get back on topic, skanker, as for secondary effects, just explore and drink what you find that you like. i personally wouldn't touch the "King", and you'll find with experience and time that any secondary effects though they may be noticable will be mild at best. just go with what pleases your tongue, your spirit, and your creative mind.

for a comparison, drinking products like absinthe king can be likened to smoking banana peels... which i did in my naive youth... sometimes maybe i thought i felt something, but usually it just gave me the secondary effects of having a headache and a nasty cough :)

a lot of it is mental. the first "absinthe" i ever had was mari mayans. i swore i felt something more than an alcohol buzz, but whenever i drank it again after that it never came. it was just the anticipation and expectation. if you believe in something strong enough, it will be there for you.
Vortex
Posted on Thursday, February 6, 2003 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Last time I had a taco bell taco (about 10 years ago), the hot sauce was LUMPY!!!! ARRGH!!!!
Crosby
Posted on Thursday, February 6, 2003 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Heart disease and stomach cancer are some damn fine secondaries. But those taco's sure hit the spot when you're hung over.
Thegreenimp
Posted on Thursday, February 6, 2003 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Get one of those evil Jack in the Box Tacos, I hear the grease has a high Thujone level....(and great secondaries)
Jay
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Thursday, February 6, 2003 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, me and my refined, experienced taste
is about to go get some fuckin' Taco Bell.

"This salsa's made in...
NEW YORK CITY?!?!?!"
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Thursday, February 6, 2003 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think a loop just opened.
Verawench
Posted on Thursday, February 6, 2003 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think a loop just closed somewhere.
Crowlyman
Posted on Thursday, February 6, 2003 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Now who's being sarcastic?!?

;)
Skanker2
Posted on Thursday, February 6, 2003 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It was actually anther discussion forum, I hadn't heard any negative reports on that particular board, though apparently this site holds a collective, hostily different view. All apologies for offending your refined, experience tastes with my inexperienced misunderstandings.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Thursday, February 6, 2003 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well I've had both recently
and I can't say which I like
better? The minty gasoline
kick of Hills or
the bile like KING!
Absinthespoon
Posted on Thursday, February 6, 2003 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

From what I have read, it is the closest thing to the true absinthe of the 1900's.

Where did you read that? From the ordering page for Absinth King Gold? This drek has absolutely nothing to do with "true absinthe of the 1900's", and I can't imagine you would find such a description anyplace except the advertisement.

I actually tasted Absinth King once (I don't think it was "Gold"), and it was incredibly vile. I guess I would have to rate it higher than, say, Hills but I would have to be pretty desperate to drink that shite.
Skanker2
Posted on Thursday, February 6, 2003 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

you may be surprised, but I have in fact read the faq. Despite the denial of the effects of thujone, it does appear as though the absinthes with the higher thujone contents had more reports of effects...check for yourself.
_Blackjack
Posted on Thursday, February 6, 2003 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

The thujone content is ten times that of Deva. Anyway, thanks again.

So's the thujone count in Vic's Vap-o-Rub, but I wouldn't want to drink that, either.

Absinth King Gold bears LESS resemblance to the absinthes of old than Deva. Deva, at least, is made from adding distilled herbal oils to alcohol. Absinth King Gold is just made by tossing a few twigs in the bottle of alcohol.

The absinthe of old (the good kind, anyway) was made by distilling herbs which had been soaked in alcohol. There are only a couple of absinthes being made like that today, and fewer still that aren't watered down or sweetened to sneak them past various regulations. Absinth King is, at best, the stuff you are supposed to distill to GET absinthe...

It's like somebody selling rye mash and calling it burboun...
Thegreenimp
Posted on Thursday, February 6, 2003 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

http://www.feeverte.net/thujone.html

Right here on this website, for all to see.
Crowlyman
Posted on Thursday, February 6, 2003 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

oo oo oo! Can I go now?

Secondary? No such thing. A big drunken misunderstanding you see.

Find the article Absinthe: Myth or Reality? or some such name. Quite informative. I don't know the link but do a search in the forum, it's here somewhere's.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Thursday, February 6, 2003 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Do a little more research, Skanker."

Hey now! You're supposed to
Flame him, censor him, ban him
THEN tell him to go read the FAQ.
Giovannigray
Posted on Thursday, February 6, 2003 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Or, you could buy a liter of vodka, throw some wormwood in the bottle, and Presto! Absinthe King Gold!

Do a little more research, Skanker.
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Thursday, February 6, 2003 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My turn!

I hope you, dear Skanker2, were not being sarcastic. Cause everyone else in this thread was.

Absinthe King Gold is crap. It is nothing at all like the absinthes of the Belle Epoch. It is shite.

For something close to the original stuff, try Un Emile, or Francois Guy. They taste very good. Which is how it is supposed to be. That whole 'bitter and undrinkable' thing is a combination of myth and memories of very bad absinthe. The off brand, colored with cupric salts and literally poisonous kind.

Thujone has not been indentified, either through experience or science, to be the thing that gives those secondary effects.
Skanker2
Posted on Thursday, February 6, 2003 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, this is true. The exorbitant price would require a joint venture, being as I cannot possibly afford it at the moment, which is a largely contributing factor to my hesitation. And of course the possibility of getting so fucked up I'd speak in tounges to unamused police...
Greenmeanie
Posted on Thursday, February 6, 2003 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

At $200 a bottle it HAS to be good. Right?
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Thursday, February 6, 2003 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh go on. Treat yourself.
They don't call it "The King"
fer nothin'!
Skanker2
Posted on Thursday, February 6, 2003 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

At last I have had my first taste of absinthe; about four glasses (around a shot each diluted with water, using an absinthe spoon for sugar and all) of Deva 50%. For all the contradicting reports of secondary effects, I can say they were present. I felt, and still do feel, as though I finally understand romantacism. As a writer, I can truely say I understand why the artistic revoliutionaries of bohemia fell in love with the drink. I am happy, most of all, that I do not despise the taste of licorice the way many of my friends sharing in the experience do. Anyway, just wanted to say thank you to everyone involved with this site, it provided the most even handed information on this truely unique liquor I have found.
I must ask though, has anyone tried the Absinth King Gold? From what I have read, it is the closest thing to the true absinthe of the 1900's. In all honesty, the prospect of drinking such a thing frightens me...I wouldn't want to ruin a beautiful thing for myself. The thujone content is ten times that of Deva. Anyway, thanks again.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page