Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Baby bleue arriving soon!!!

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru March 2003 » Baby bleue arriving soon!!! « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through March 5, 2003Bob (I_b_puffin)25 3-5-03  9:46 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 657

Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Maybe some artist will, at sometime, make such an artisanal creation."

He already did. A whole series of them, in fact.

"Probably what I should have said was, 'I'm not aware of any commercially made absinthes that contain juniper.'"

Neither am I.

"A brief perusal of my old liquor making texts also do not indicate juniper being used in absinthe of old."

At times one may encounter some crazy Viking inclined to try all the fruits of his native land in wild concoctions dedicated to Odin.

"As a side note, a.pontica (used in the final flavoring/coloring step) lends a somewhat gin-like aroma and flavor to absinthe,"

Agreed. Just imagine what Juniper does. Not to everyone's taste, to be sure. Christmas tree absinthe. Balder's absinthe.
Quelle vie ont eue nos grands-parents
Entre l'absinthe et les grands-messes... ?

Z (Zman7)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Zman7

Post Number: 214
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Absinthe with juniper poses an interesting possibility. Maybe some artist will, at sometime, make such an artisanal creation. Probably what I should have said was,"I'm not aware of any commercially made absinthes that contain juniper." A brief perusal of my old liquor making texts also do not indicate juniper being used in absinthe of old. But these texts probably don't show all the many variations of the theme of absinthe. As a side note, a.pontica (used in the final flavoring/coloring step) lends a somewhat gin-like aroma and flavor to absinthe, that fades over time.
Imperial Order of Absinthe
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 656

Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've had absinthe with Juniper.

Z (Zman7)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 213
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Agreed, cineol is in other plants, but I am not aware of rosemary, juniper, or eucalyptus being in absinthe. The hypothesis was that if cineol is in absinthe, it would be a strong indicator of star anis.
Moonman's friend (Wolfgang)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Wolfgang

Post Number: 891
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

About cineole 1,4, it can be found in many other plants (ex.: juniperus communis berries and rosemary) so finding trace amount of it is not a sure indication of star anis use.

Also note that the camphor like smell and taste found in star anis comes also from cineol 1,8 (eucalyptol, found of course in eucalyptus )and not only from cineol 1,4.

ref.:

Cineole 1,4 data:
http://www.thegoodscentscompany.com/data/rw1029041.html

Star anis chemicals:
http://www.oller.net/staranis.htm

1.8 cineole and eucalyptus:
http://www.fgb.com.au/products/cineoleStandard.htm

PS.: ...anyway, I don`t know many people who would go through the trouble of doing a GC analysis to find out if there`s cineol 1,4 in their absinthe... Maybe Ted but who else ? ;-)
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 890
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 7:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Most green anis seeds we can find are brown and come from Turkey or Spain. I`ve found only one (local, not availlable on the web) source of organic ''green'' green anis. Those seeds are about half the size of the regular one and it is more green than brown. I`m still trying to get more info on those but the people who sold it to me are very secretive about it, probably affraid that I could bypass them.

If I ever get both kinds + a film in my camera at the same time, I`ll take a side by side picture of it.

For sure those little green seeds are much better (sweeter and tastier) than the regular one.
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 653

Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I thought green anis = leaves and flowers??"

Seeds only. No leaves, no flowers. How green it is varies according to where it was grown; it's generally not very green and certainly has nothing to do with the green-ness of absinthe. When they say green anise, or anise verte, they're probably just assuring that it's not star anise.

Mondino de' Luzzi (Drinkslinger)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Drinkslinger

Post Number: 187
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The label on the Blanche is the same label as the other products. It's rather generic. I guess that's where the "other herbs" part comes into play.
Z (Zman7)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 212
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Star anise=cheap
Some of the la bleus (and most all of the Spanish)absinthes I've tasted have that unique "hotness" that is part of the flavor profile of star anise (illicium verum).
Anise verte is the seeds of the anise plant (pimpinella anisum). Also, green anise is part of the parsely family of plants, while star anise is part of the magnolia family of plants.
While both plants have anethole, the star anise has 1,4 cineol. Looking for trace amounts of cineol is a way to determine if the absinthe has any star anise in it, because true anise does not contain cineol. Perhaps it is the cineol that gives the star anise the undesireable hotness to cheap absinthes.
Spoon Boy (Absinthespoon)
le Duc
Username: Absinthespoon

Post Number: 239

Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wolfgang, I thought green anis = leaves and flowers??
le Duc

Post Number: 238

Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

OK, here's my ignorance of la bleue showing... I thought it usually has star anise.
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 652

Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"GREEN anise (which surprised but delights!)"

Don't know why it would surprise. That's the ONLY kind of anise ever used in absinthe. Star anise is the other, but that isn't really anise.

Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 889
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

green anis = anis seeds.

For sure it does have a definite and pleasant taste of wormwood.
le Duc

Post Number: 237

Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I got mine today too. After 1/4 glass, I can tell you I have a new favorite absinthe.

It says on the label that it is made with wormwood and GREEN anise (which surprised but delights!) and other herbs.

Bravo, LDF!
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 888
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ok, there it is.

After 4 hours of aeration, I slowly added 4 parts of very cold spring water over 1/2 sugar cube.

This is an excellent absinthe blanche. It is simple like most lableu but it is well done. Fresh with wormwood and anis seeds and maybe a bit of fennel but I'm not even sure about it. Maybe a hint of melissa and hyssop... It's very difficult to tell what's in a glass of absinthe, even for someone who work with those herbs almost everyday...

My small glass is already gone now and I'm making another one with 1 oz absinthe and more sugar, less water and without waiting for aeration. This glass is not as good as the first one. Aeration does help a lot. I think I`ll pour my bottles in a wine decanter and let it sit there until tomorrow.

Even with sugar we can taste the delicate herbal bitterness of properly distilled absinthe. It also goes straight to the head...

There`s also something in the aftertaste that reminds me of cinnamon (?).

This is an exceptional commercial product. Congratulation guys !

PS.: A sample of Emile blanche will be colored by Moonman and sent back to where it came from. We will call it ''Moonman`s tribute to the best commercially availlable absinthe on the market''. Moonman is still thinking about what herbs to use in this coloration...
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 887
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I got it ...I'll review it later today.

So far I just opened the bottle and poured 3/4 oz into a small glass to let it breath before I taste it.

Straight, the smell is typical of this distillery, but maybe fruitier/fresher.
le Duc

Post Number: 236

Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Did anyone get theirs yet? I thought it might come yesterday but nothing yet...
Bob (I_b_puffin)
le Vicomte
Username: I_b_puffin

Post Number: 79
Posted on Friday, March 7, 2003 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just got mail from absinthe online, "La blanche est arrivée."
It's shipping monday.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page