Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

CHARBAY PASTIS anyone ?

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru March 2003 » CHARBAY PASTIS anyone ? « Previous Next »

Spoon Boy (Absinthespoon)
le Duc
Username: Absinthespoon

Post Number: 227

Posted on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Spenger's used to be awesome, but I haven't been there since it was sold. Thanks for the heads up, now I definitely won't go.

Absinthe is just about my favorite restaurant. Yummy bistro food, excellent wine list, and the desserts are great too. I had some thyme ice cream once that was very nice, and the lavender crème brûlée is awesome. And it's 5 minutes from my house.
Heathen Beaner (Emmy)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Emmy

Post Number: 48

Posted on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Kallisti (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 815

Posted on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, they did a million dollar clean up and then changed over all staff and management.

I couldn't find one decent review for it, and most of it was complaints about *awful* service.

very sad.

k a l l i s t i

http://www.feeverte.net
Heathen Beaner (Emmy)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 47

Posted on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

yah if memory serves me, spenger's was close to going under just a couple years ago... they were supposed to close the doors. i guess someone bailed them out, but i guess also they changed some things. last i knew it was still the place you remember. but that was a couple years ago when they were supposed to go belly up.
Kallisti (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 814

Posted on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I like that bar alot (which I've said alot, heh) ...

We popped into Spenger's Fish Grotto for drinkies in Berkeley last weekend. Oh, my gram used to take me there when I was small. When I was 8 I passed out face down into a plate of spaghetti after my single uncle had taken me to the beach all day without sunscreen.

And I got all nostalgic for the sea faring decor and thought we should go back for dinner.

And then I read the reviews.... I've never been so sad. It's purportedly now one of the worst, overpriced places around.

How the mighty have fallen.

k a l l i s t i

http://www.feeverte.net
Heathen Beaner (Emmy)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 46

Posted on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

oh. not sure where you can buy it anymore. some specialty stores may still have some. as for the bay area though if you want to taste it, they have a bottle at the Absinthe restaurant & bar on... hayes and gough?... they have a nice selection of pastis. actually, a nice selection of everything, and though normal drinks are more than at your usual bar, the more expensive drinks are actually quite reasonably priced for what they are.
Heathen Beaner (Emmy)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 45

Posted on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

s'ok. nothing special. wasn't very impressed by any of their products to be honest. bevmo stopped carrying the pastis a few years ago. their flavored vodkas are nice, but probably only because they have uncommon flavors such as key lime, melon, and i think there was a blood orange flavored one or somesuch.
Absinthe Queen of Reviews (Head_prosthesis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Head_prosthesis

Post Number: 1625

Posted on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Looks good. Tell Moonie go make me some.
What war?
Moonman's friend (Wolfgang)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Wolfgang

Post Number: 850
Posted on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

http://www.charbay.com/pastis.asp

Incredible but true, an artisanal pastis made in the US !

Is it good ?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page