Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through February 13, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » The Monkey Hole » Archive Thru March 2003 » Duct and Cover » Archive through February 13, 2003 « Previous Next »

Absinthe Queen of Reviews (Head_prosthesis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Head_prosthesis

Post Number: 1623

Posted on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Heh heh ( 0 guests, 0 members 0 Anonymous Members [ View Complete List ])

Oops! Um, forget I said all that.
What war?
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1622

Posted on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I guess they didn't take offence
to that since they're off "over there"
doing their little "whore hole" thing???
What war?
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1621

Posted on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Little whores that don't know
what's good for 'em. Fuck 'em!!!
Fuck 'em in their little whore holes!!!
What war?
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1620

Posted on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

And they do. Like little whores!
What war?
Deadest Elephant (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 563

Posted on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thought I'd liven things up.

Threads take their own path.

Everybody COULD go to that other forum ........................
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 561

Posted on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Who the fuck was talking about taxes?"

The dipshit whose article you pointed to. He wanted to talk about duct tape, but typical of a leftist "journalist", he couldn't help taking a swipe at "the rich".

"They went so far as to broadcast this recommendation on national television the other night."

We talked about that, too.

"I thought you might, for once, have the wherewithal to see beyond the lefty rhetoric to see the humour in it all."

I was laughing the whole time.
Kallisti (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 812

Posted on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Who the fuck was talking about taxes?

I posted a funny article about how the government is recommending we use tarp and duct tape to protect ourselves from imminent attack. They went so far as to broadcast this recommendation on national television the other night.

I thought you might, for once, have the wherewithal to see beyond the lefty rhetoric to see the humour in it all.

Oh well. Humorless fuckwads.

k a l l i s t i

http://www.feeverte.net
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 560

Posted on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show up at the table anymore."

Not to mention, their wealth finances the companies that provide the employment that allows the others to show up at the table with any money in their pockets in the first place. Or it used to, before the government became grand employer of all, robbing people to finance sit-on-their-ass bureaucracies such as the anti-baby-drowning label police.

Unfortunately, rich man and not-so-rich man alike are kept at the table at the point of a gun. Reminds me of Reservoir Dogs:

Mr. Pink: "I don't tip".
Joe the Boss: "What da ya mean, ya cheap bastid! You kick in like everbody else!"

Only, NOT everybody kicks in.
Sambeau (Sambeau)
Mousquetaire
Username: Sambeau

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

That's a good story. It is exactly how things seem to work. It reminds of the sales tax increase on yachts story. The logic was, "Hell, if these rich bastards can afford a yacht, they can afford the tax." What happened is the rich bastards quit buying yachts. The regular quys that built yachts for a living and some of the people who worked for the companies that supplied the materials to the yacht builders lost jobs.
Barsnake (Barsnake)
le Duc
Username: Barsnake

Post Number: 139
Posted on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

A little "Tax Lesson" a friend sent me -
Suppose that everyday 10 men go to PJ's for dinner. The bill for all ten comes to $100. If it was paid the way we pay our taxes -- graduated by income level -- the first four men would pay nothing; the fifth would pay $1; the sixth would pay $3; the seventh $7; the eighth $12, the ninth $18; and the tenth man (the richest) would pay $59.

The 10 men ate dinner in the restaurant every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement until the owner threw them a curve. "Since you
are all such good customers," he said, "I'm going to reduce the cost of your daily meal by $20."

Now the dinner for the 10 costs only $80. The first four are unaffected -- they still eat for free. How to divvy up the $20 savings among the remaining six so that everyone gets his fair share became the question to answer. The men realized that $20 divided by six is $3.33, but
if they subtract that from everybody's share, the fifth man and the sixth man would end up being paid to eat their meal.

The restaurant owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man's bill by roughly the same proportionate amount and he proceeded to work
out the amounts each should pay.

And so the fifth man paid nothings ($1 less), the sixth man pitched in $2 ($1 less), the seventh paid $5 ($2 less), the eighth paid $9 ($3 less),the ninth paid $12 ($6 less), leaving the tenth man with a bill of $52
instead of $59 ($7 less).

Outside the restaurant, the men began to compare their savings. "I only got a dollar out of the $20," declared the sixth man pointing to the
tenth, "and he got $7!" "Yeah, that's right," exclaimed the fifth man.

"I only saved a dollar, too. It's unfair that he got seven times more than me!" "That's true," shouted the seventh man. "Why should he get $7
back when I got only $2? The wealthy get all the breaks." "Wait a minute,"
yelled the first four men in unison. "We didn't get anything at all. The system exploits the poor."

The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up. The next night he didn't show up for dinner. So, the nine men sat down and ate without him. But, when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something important. They were $52 short!

And that, boys and girls, is how the tax system works. The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show up at the table anymore.
and the beat goes on...
Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 793

Posted on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, so far NONE of the justifications anyone has presented for this war are very realistic. The oil story only requires that Bush be stupid and greedy, while the weapons story means he'd have to be paranoid, deluded AND stupid. Take you're pick...
Sambeau (Sambeau)
Paysan
Username: Sambeau

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If the goal was cheap oil, it seems to me the best thing US could do was extend the olive branch to Saddam and see that He gets Most Favored Nation Trade Status. He has alot of palaces and a nuclear weapons program to catch up on. I'm sure he needs a little extra cash. To raise that needed revenue, he would then flood the market with dirt cheap oil. This would cause oil prices to plumet. Even if one thinks Bush is absolutely insane, the argument that the US is going to invade and permanetly occupy Iraq in front of the entire world just so our Surburbans can make a few more trips to Pier 1 and Home Depot isn't very realistic.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 791

Posted on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 5:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The fuel prices might have something to do with the ongoing strike in Venezuela, our #2 supplier. Fuck it, if we're going to fight a war for oil, can we at least fight in the countries we actually get oil from?
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 790

Posted on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 5:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Code Orange is designed to protect us from possible attacks by Etrigan the Demon.

(And if yu got that, you're even sadder a geek than I...)
Darrin, Stalker of Head (Traineraz)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Traineraz

Post Number: 848
Posted on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

Back to the plastic film. I see some idiot on TV tonight, taping up a room so he can hide in there and be safe, from God knows what. Hello, idiot!!

Hey, he's just doing what the brilliant Republican Dubya's administration is telling him to do.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 558

Posted on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Also, fuel prices have been soaring around here the past few days. Apparently, some sort of shit's about to hit some sort of fan.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 557

Posted on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"So, let's stop telling childish fantasy stories attempting to insult political parties with no basis in fact, OK?"

I'll tell any story it suits me to tell. The writer of the stories to which admin referred is a shit-for-brains, kneejerk hack with his tax refunds to the rich bullshit, and he and his (obvious) party deserve nothing but insult.

Back to the plastic film. I see some idiot on TV tonight, taping up a room so he can hide in there and be safe, from God knows what. Hello, idiot!! Did you tape up the vent, too? What are you going to breath? The air comes from, guess what, OUTSIDE!! And the contamination from a "dirty bomb" will do its worst inside you, after you've breathed it. But it's not plastic wrap boy's fault. He doesn't know shit about radiation safety, and nobody is going to try and teach him until it's too late. The powers that be got caught with their pants down on September 11th, and just so they can say after the (next) fact that they tried to warn us this time, they send people jumping through such useless hoops.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1608

Posted on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

ah yes... but like Fat Tony sez...

"It's funny, cuz it's true!"
What war?
Foamy D Psycho (Mr_rabid)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Mr_rabid

Post Number: 455
Posted on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A republican and a democrat are walking down the street, and they come to a homeless person.

They both studiously avoid making eye contact and walk a little faster. Each feels a sense of relief that the bum didn't accost them.

Later that day, neither makes any attempt whatsofucking ever to help the homeless person, but they both feel kind of bad that sort of thing happens to people, in a vague way.

It just doesn't have the same swing as Artemis' version, somehow.

Realism in Jokes Must Be Stopped!
Darrin, Stalker of Head (Traineraz)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Traineraz

Post Number: 847
Posted on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Too bad the Republican didn't realize that the guy was homeless because American CEOs had sent most decent-paying jobs overseas, and the fellow had been working three part-time McJobs to pay the rent . . . with no benefits like sick pay, retirement savings, or health insurance, of course, but just slightly too high an income for Medicaid. Then his antidepressants ran out, he couldn't afford the prescription and . . . well, you know the rest of the story.

Guess what, many people on the streets have mental health or addiction issues. Blithely offering them jobs doesn't help if they don't receive treatment so they can manage to show up for work! That, and they can't even APPLY for jobs without an address. So, let's stop telling childish fantasy stories attempting to insult political parties with no basis in fact, OK?
Gasspectro (Gasspectro)
Mousquetaire
Username: Gasspectro

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, TOO precious...and all true true.
Alphasoixante (Alphasoixante)
le Vicomte
Username: Alphasoixante

Post Number: 84

Posted on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"The Republican gave the homeless person his business card and told him to come to his business for a job. He then took twenty dollars out of his pocket and gave it to the homeless person."

HA! that is TOO precious!
Heathen Beaner (Emmy)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Emmy

Post Number: 37

Posted on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"The Bush administration has set the Homeland Security threat level at Code Orange, but out here in the homeland of Northern California we're at Code Red."

a friend of mine who's in the DoD was talking to me about this monday night. he had just gotten done with a day of patrolling the bridges and waterways of the bay area with a 9mm at his side, an ak-47 over one shoulder, and a shotgun over the other. he pretty much let me know that whatever the official "code" is, we're only a step away from martial law here in the bay area and other hot spots around the country. we have armed patrols all over the bay area right now, for the most part they're keeping out of sights tho, except for the national guardsmen posted at places like the golden gate bridge. but they're there and ready to act. as my friend says, they're the biggest gang in the world, and they're on the prowl.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 555

Posted on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"hand back big tax refunds to the rich"

I thought "back" was built into "refund"? How do you hand "back" a refund?

Anyway, it would seem to make sense that the people paying the BIG taxes would get the BIG refunds. Better, I suppose, in the eyes of that hack, to spend the money on a bureaucracy, to enforce warnings on the plastic sheeting and duct tape in several languages, to make sure some poor child isn't smothered in it by mistake.

A Republican and a Democrat were walking down the street when they came to a homeless person. The Republican gave the homeless person his business card and told him to come to his business for a job. He then took twenty dollars out of his pocket and gave it to the homeless person.

The Democrat was very impressed, and when they came to another homeless person, he decided to help. He walked over to the homeless person and gave him directions to the welfare office. He then reached into the Republican's pocket and got out twenty dollars. He kept fifteen for administrative fees and gave the homeless person five.

Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't.
Kallisti (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 811

Posted on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2003/02/12/MN43918.DTL

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2003/02/12/MN98907.DTL

k a l l i s t i

http://www.feeverte.net

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page