Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through February 14, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » The Monkey Hole » Archive Thru March 2003 » The latest media hype - Salvia Divinorum » Archive through February 14, 2003 « Previous Next »

Carl Guderian (Bjacques)
le Duc
Username: Bjacques

Post Number: 199
Posted on Friday, February 14, 2003 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've only tried it once but it was fun. For about 2 minutes I felt like I was made entirely of ball bearings. Then back to smoking weed. That was over a year ago, but as far as I know, the smart shops still sell it.
Paranoid Absintheur (Crowlyman)
le Duc
Username: Crowlyman

Post Number: 302

Posted on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, I noticed that sleep came on pleasantly. Some of the thoughts from the journey (journey?-can't believe I said that) seemed to have cemented themselves into my dreams and thoughts for at least a couple of days.
Karl (Raschied)
le Duc
Username: Raschied

Post Number: 251
Posted on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I used Daniel Siebert's "Emerald Essence" tincture, following the directed first-time dosage, and the results were very enlightening. The effect lasted for roughly 20 intense minutes, with another 2 hours of comedown time, which was very gradual.

In those 20 minutes, I experienced roughly 3 hours (subjective) of vision experiences, including what your wife described. I was taken back to early childhood, and talked with people who told me "I shouldn't come this far so soon." Sunflowers. I remember sunflowers. I also remember the pushing/stretching effect as the effects come on.

What really made me interested in trying Salvia came from the fact that I was recently laid off, and a number of different job options have come my way, all involving life changes. I was searching for an answer. I didn't find anything relevant in the vision I experienced, but I think that may have been due to the expectations of the stuff. I want to try it again in a couple of weeks, when the time is right.

No lasting side effects, other than I had one of the most restful night's sleep last night.
Rock over London, Rock on Chicago.
Orkin - one call destroys 'em all.
Paranoid Absintheur (Crowlyman)
le Duc
Username: Crowlyman

Post Number: 299

Posted on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have used Salvia D about two or three times. I smoked it and since I don't smoke anything else it irritated the hell out of me. The first peculiar thing I noticed was my center of gravity seemed to collapse in on itself. This was the same every time I have smoked it. Many waves (you can see wind) of color and shaped of sound. Not at all like lsd or psilocibin. It really seemed to be over before it began really. I am going to try to get some fresh leaves and chew on them and see what happens.
I do not condone the banning of substances the moment someone discovers that you 'get something' from it. It is nowhere near as dangerous as most banned substances can be and not very easy to ingest.
This one subsubstance that needs precaution for sure, but not really dangerous IMHO.
Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 788

Posted on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It is kind of entertaining that the non-addictive, relatively safe drugs which are only of long-term interest to really intorspective types, like LSD and Psylocibin, are all Schedule I, but the really addictive, dangerous, or otherwise antisocial drugs like cocaine, morphine and methamphetamine are Schedule II.
Marc (Marc)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Marc

Post Number: 196
Posted on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

my one experience with salvia was powerful, insightful and brief. The effects last a couple of minutes. I was visited by a giant talking plant. No shit. I couldn't understand a thing the plant was saying. Its voice was low and deep. And my arms and legs seemed to stretch out to infinity. My wife had an amazing experience on salvia. She went back in time to when she was a child. She said she actually went back. Was lying on the lawn, felt the grass, saw her childhood home. At one point she lifted herself off the bed, as if rising from the lawn, and I had to grab and hold her. She was clearly somewhere else.

Salvia is the real deal. You have to smoke the enhanced leaves. You should have someone with you.
And be prepared for a very intense trip. If you have a bad experience it will be brief, so just ride it out.
Baz (Baz)
le Duc
Username: Baz

Post Number: 157
Posted on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"your date would look like stevie wonder"

what's wrong with that?
Swarez (Swarez)
Paysan
Username: Swarez

Post Number: 4

Posted on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Re:Ketamine
Anyone who has seen a cat come to following a dose of ketamine wonders why the hell one would take a dissociative anesthetic. They look like I feel on a really bad drunk, unable to stand, head weaving back and forth, scared of their shadow -- and to think it is used a date-rape drug...Your date would look like Stevie Wonder!
Hell, at least I can lick myself...
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 786

Posted on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Re: Ketamine

As a rule, I stay away from the Animal Tranquilizer Food Group...
Karl (Raschied)
le Duc

Post Number: 249
Posted on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Okay, I tried it. It lives very much up to the hype as a medative aid. I will also revise my "nut-grabber" statement I made earlier -

I don't want to see this stuff banned, but I would like to see it's sale limited to over-18 establishments.

Of course, what will probably happen is some teen fuckwit will be chewing leaves driving his car, phase into another dimension for 10-15 minutes, and wake up in a heap of wreckage wondering what the hell happened. The relatives of the people he ran over will cry "Salvia EVIL!" and that'll be that - welcome to Schedule A.

If I were to try to describe the sensation, imagine the feeling you get during very very intense dreams; the kind where you feel really really good. Just as it kicked in, I had the sensation of melting into a pool, looking up at the stars. Very intense. a quiet roon is about all I could handle. I was also taken back to childhood.

Was this stuff known in the '70's? I think it's possible I've experienced this when I was a kid.
Baz (Baz)
le Vicomte

Post Number: 156
Posted on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I find it odd that you would put absinthe in that group...
Karl (Raschied)
le Duc

Post Number: 248
Posted on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ketamine also causes seizures and can lead to a brain hemorrage. Real fun stuff.

It's really funny, because in my teens we deliberately stayed straight because all the grownups around us were the drug fiends. I still won't do LSD after seeing what it did to my mother. My best friend's father lost a kidney due to chronic meth abuse.

Now that I'm in my 30's, I'm starting a new phase of experimentation. It started in 99 after major surgery, and spending 4 days on mainline morphine. Then in 2000, I had a lovely prescription for Vicodin. I tried hash for the first time in 2001 in Amsterdam, absinthe in 2002, and now I'm looking to try Salvia for the first time in 2003. Go figure.
emiliano lee, aka melinelly (Emmy)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Emmy

Post Number: 34

Posted on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

i have some friends who have done or been into Ketamine... aka special K... aka K... it's not doing it on its own that's the kick. they did it in tandem with coke or speed. they say it's like a roller coaster. upper downer in betweener... your body and mind at times can't figure out what the heck it's going through. kinda like that simpsons episode where homer takes the dead guy's big rig on it's final trip and he pops a bunch of uppers to stay awake but takes too many so he pops a bunch of downers and floats in between the two for a while...
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 780
Posted on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Of course, somehow Ketamine (a disociative anasthetic) has become known as a "party drug", even tho it essentially turns you into a drooling stooge with no awareness of the outside world for an hour.

Kids today. I blame the Ecstasy! In my day we didn't take drugs that made us nice to people! We took drugs that made us surly and stay up for 4 days straight!
Baz (Baz)
Paysan

Post Number: 154
Posted on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have some growing in my bedroom right now, but I rarely use it. I mean, how often can you completely lose your sense of self and enjoy it? It is to be respected. Meditational medicine, not party drug.
Karl (Raschied)
le Duc

Post Number: 243
Posted on Saturday, February 8, 2003 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, Nemo. That was exactly the information I was looking for. I did end up ordering some online, and plan to use it in the manner it is designed for.
Wheaties, Breakfast of Champions.
Andy (Mr_nemo)
Paysan
Username: Mr_nemo

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, February 8, 2003 - 7:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Although no longer in the cult of the psychonaut, I spent some time trying many a mind altering substance in my day. I no longer feel the need to explore reality, as life is interesting enough at a certain point. These days I occasionally smoke pot at a party, and embibe a fine glass of absinthe, but a while back, I did indeed try Salvia Divinorum (Diviners Sage.) The bottom line is if it gets banned, it will be a crime. IT is NOT, (let me repeat this) NOTHING like Extasy, LSD, or any other hallucinogen commonly available in the US. In fact, the reason that they will need to pass a special law to make it illegal is because chemically it is like no other drug on this planet. (US drug laws make classification swift for drugs that have the same base compounds as other illegal substances.) Understand this drug was traditionally used by shamanistic religions, and it is the first drug that I have experienced that I believe should be left alone for the people who use it for meditative puposes. It is not a party drug in the least, and should not be disrespected like that. It will take you on a very short (15-30 minutes) journey, but you will no longer be in your living room, in your house, or on this planet. Having any real-time conversation on this drug would be very difficult if not impossible. I remember buying some a while back because a friend who went to Mexico described his experience to me, and quite frankly I was doubtful of his story. He described "seeing Gods" and being taken far away for what seemed like a long time, but he came back to reality 20 minutes later a changed person. I remember buying it and wondering what it would be like. When I finally had my first experience with it, I knew I would not use it often (I bought some four years ago and still have some to this day), and I would not turn others on to it at a party, or in a social environment. It is a useful substance, but only for meditative experiences. The experience is like no other I have even dealt with. (Oh and for the few people out there who may have traveled along a similar pasth as I did in my youth it is NOTHING like DMT or any DMT derivative.)

I thought I would post this, becuase if any group of people understand what hype and misinformation can do, it would be people on an absinthe board.

Thanks,

Nemo
Emmy
Posted on Friday, February 7, 2003 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Of course, what'll probably happen is some fucker will run naked across the Golden Gate grabbing his nuts, and jump off the bridge. His family will cry "Salvia EVIL!" and that'll be that - welcome to Schedule A."

don't give me any ideas ;)
Crosby
Posted on Friday, February 7, 2003 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

To put humanity back in medicine, you'd have to take the drugs out of the hands of politicians and the police and put them back into the hands of doctors. Makes too much sense, it'll never fly.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Friday, February 7, 2003 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

S. divinorum has been used for divination and shamanic purposes for thousands of years (so many, in fact, that the plant is a cultivar, it does produces no viable seeds).

The problem is that people here found a way to concentrate the active principle (Salvinorin A) and make 5X and 10X herb. At these concentrations Salvia can be very powerful. It is only a matter of time before some uninformed kid rolls a joint of 10X and tokes while driving and then...it's going to be GHB all over again...

BTW, Salvinorin A is the second most powerful hallucinogen known, after LSD. 500mcg is a strong dose.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Friday, February 7, 2003 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Frankly I would LIKE to see dextromethorphan taken off the shelves -- and codeine put back on the shelves, like it is in Canada or Mexico. Well, actually, in Canada you have to walk up to the counter and ask the pharmacist for it, and it can only be sold in combination with another drug (e.g. aspirin), but it's available.

BEST damn thing for a nagging bronchial cough, AND it helps you get some rest, which is what you're supposed to do when you're sick, right?

DM, on the other hand, makes you nervous and fidgety, even if you're not taking enough to trip out on it. Controls the cough reflex, sure, but not in a comforting way.

Can't we put a little humanity back into medicine?
_Blackjack
Posted on Friday, February 7, 2003 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

From what I understand, the experience (when it works, which isn't easy to pull off) is intense and potentially unpleasant enough that it's not likely to be the next party drug. But I suppose we have to find more stuff to ban. My local news ran a story on the horrors of dextromethophan (Robotussin) last week!
Raschied
Posted on Friday, February 7, 2003 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

They also say that it is active by just chewing the leaves, though. That was the traditional way of ingesting - absorbing the active ingredient sublingually.

There is also a guy selling an essential oil that gives effects by holding drops under the tongue for roughly 15 minutes.

I did read that the effective dose of the pure active ingredient is in the microgram range, and a dot on the head of a pin is enough to really really freak you out.

One of the reported effects is that the tripper wants to get up and walk away, often with no idea where he or she is or what he/she is doing. One site described the look in the tripper's face as "like a deer in the headlights."

I'm kind of mixed about the effort to ban this stuff. I mean, if the hype is halfway true about salvia, and my kids (8 and 11) can legally buy this stuff, I'm for some kind of regulation to at least put it in the same class as alcohol.

Of course, what'll probably happen is some fucker will run naked across the Golden Gate grabbing his nuts, and jump off the bridge. His family will cry "Salvia EVIL!" and that'll be that - welcome to Schedule A.
Drinkslinger
Posted on Friday, February 7, 2003 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Keep reading about it's effects. You have to heat the leaves to a very high temp before the chemical will work... more like crack temps than pot. There are several disclaimers about the difficulty in judging when you've inhaled "enough" for the effect. And what an effect they describe-Delerium, seizure, dimentia... They recomend you have a "guide" whenever you use the stuff. Just in case you decide to run out in the street, or start trying to slice your wrists.

This doesn't sound like a THC high... more like some drugs I never want to try again.
Raschied
Posted on Friday, February 7, 2003 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Locally, the media is pushing Salvia Divinorum as "the next thing to be banned," saying it can produce effects similar to Ecstasy when smoked. It's a completely legal herb at this time(except in Australia), but California is leading the way to get this plant on the schedule A listing of controlled substances.

I know Salvia is the same plant family that sage comes from. S. Divinorum comes from the mountains of Mexico, but that's all I know about it. The web sites all talk of smoking or chewing the leaves to produce visions. They also said it's more of a personal quiet experience, and it's not a good thing to use as a party drug.

Comments? Personal experiences? According to the article, it's not hard to get a hold of - any local head shop with sell you a bag for $20 in the States.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page