Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through February 21, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru March 2003 » Perhaps Distressing “Old Absinthe House” News » Archive through February 21, 2003 « Previous Next »

Masqued Reveler (Nolamour)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Nolamour

Post Number: 612

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Very ironic that this thread turned to flooding...cuz, that's what's happening here. Heavy rains, highway flooding...more coming tonight.

The first real Mardi Gras weekend starts tonight...6 parades are waiting for the go ahead and may not be able to ride.

Pussies! ...ride in the rain! I'll show up.

Laissez le Bon Temps Rouler!
Aion (Aion)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Aion

Post Number: 112
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Artemis,
as always your reflections are wise and, yes,
almost painfully true.
Legalizing absinthe would not help to save traditions, but maybe help to pervert them even more. The Hill´s Hut - ouch!
It seems that I once more tended to overate the importance of our small group of real-absinthe-enthusiasts.

Tourism, that is another of the big problems today. I just can not understand, why more and more people travel thousands of miles to foreign
countries and then stay for weeks in an all-inclusive-club, not interested to move their ass out of this getto even once.
the country - uninteresting,
the people - uncivilized barbarians,
the culture - boring,
the food - no thank you, get me a Big Mac!

A.

Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 593

Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Such a flood has never hit New Orleans; what they're talking about is a powerful hurricane on a path that would bring the tidal surge from Lake Ponchartrain toward the city. It's possible, but they've been lucky so far in that the hurricanes were weaker and/or took a different path. Straight up the Mississippi isn't as bad a scenario, and hasn't been all that uncommon. But the river alone would do the damage if it were not controlled by the levees and spillways.
Heathen Beaner (Emmy)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Emmy

Post Number: 55

Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

can also see pics at http://www.geocities.com/melinelly/absinthe.html from the nola gathering march 2001. there are a few of the fountains in question. damn shame if one is missing its statue... believable some nutter would go and swipe it tho :-(
Kallisti (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 850

Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I did alot of research before I moved there, and that was one of the things that came up. And it's happened before, in the 50's? Not sure ...

They said all that has to happen is that the eye hits the Mississippi or Lake Pontchartrain and it would just pick up the water and dump it in the city, which is like a big salad bowl. And no, the pumps aren't strong enough.

Our neighborhood flooded twice while I was there, and only after a decent day of constant rain, regular style.
“A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere.” - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 608

Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Additionally, if New Orleans were to experience a level 5 Hurricane (not the drink), we would be under water by about 40 feet...the whole city. This is a fact that the city discussed this past Hurricane season, even on NPR. The pumps cannot handle this much water.
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 607

Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

About 2 weeks ago I was in both Hut and Lafitte's - One of which was missing a statue at top of its fountain. There was only a metal bar dangling from inside. If I cannot find both pictures, I will be down there this weekend for some Mardi Gras festivities and I'll get the current pictures up.

Yes, the building itself cannot be torn down; it can just be transformed to the owners' preferred business. God, please no more Daiquiri Huts! And Yes, You could sell horse piss in a Styrofoam hat and become financially wealthy doing it.

Perhaps Mr. Breaux can read this and give us some insight on what he thinks or knows about this.

Kallisti (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 849

Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Here are Treeman's pix from the nola trip. This is, of course, The Absinthe House *BAR* (cum daiquiri shop) and *not* (Lafitte's) Old Absinthe House. And I just found one of my old ebay purchases that got lost in the miasma ... an old old postcard of the Absinthe House Bar, with the bar still in it etc. Will try and post pic later, for your enjoyment.

Fountain 1

Fountain 2
“A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere.” - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 591

Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

In not much longer than that, it will be under water. If you turn the Mississippi River loose to build some delta, everybody drowns. If you don't, the Gulf of Mexico eats away at the marsh, closer and closer every year. New Orleans is on borrowed time.
Marcellin (Marcellin)
Mousquetaire
Username: Marcellin

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nolamour, can you post your pictures here? I'd like to see them one last time - if indeed it is one last time. Thanks.

p.

Jay & The Imp (Thegreenimp)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Thegreenimp

Post Number: 211

Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The mental image of tourists, staggering down Bourbon St. holding a flaming glass of Hill's, in a plastic "to go" cup, with your pressed foil burning spoon, is more horrific than I want to comprehend.
Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 820

Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It happened to Las Vegas. It happened to New York. You can't stop it. In 10 years New Orleans will have simulated animatronic corrupt police for the tourists to get their pictures taken with...
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 588

Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

So if absinthe could be sold legally, especially these 2 locations would become THE hot spots of the nightlife in NOLA, and the daiquiri hut disaster would be history.

With respect to my European friend, you could sell piss from a jug at a cardboard street stand in New Orleans and make at least SOME money. It's about turnover to tourists, who are already there to be taken. If neither one of those bars had ever existed, the remaining drink sellers would never have noticed. Alcohol is everywhere and people want to get hammered. The very few that are after the absinthe experience can get something a lot closer to it off Bourbon Street altogether.

If absinthe were made legal, the hut would not be history. Many more of them would spring up to sell Hill's in go cups to the ignorant. Some other locations which even now benefit from a proper setting (outdoor tables, etc. - hardly any such on Bourbon Street) and absinthe appreciation on the part of the owners would become, IMO, the new hot spots for true believers.
Kallisti (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 845

Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My understanding was that they can't change the *outside* of the building without jumping through logistical hoops, and even then ...

That is why you have so many neon lit tshirt & daiquiri shops in an area that *appears* as if it is quietly crumbling. I know they have very specific regulations on what colors you can use to paint your building in the quarter, and even general maintenance on the outside of buildings has to be cleared.

k a l l i s t i

Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 587

Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was under the impression there was very little you could change about any building in the French Quarter without jumping through some historical society hoops. But as always, money talks.

Witness the club in Chicago in which 21 people were killed in a stampede a few days ago. The city had ordered the place shut down last year, but somehow it stayed open. Now it's revealed they had 500 people a night in there, at a cover charge of $20 a head, minimum. Now people in Chicago (rightly) wonder whether it's business as usual there. In other words, if somebody in city government got paid off.

My friend Aion has a good point, but to be fair, what he describes is business, not "American" business.

There is really no local feeling for absinthe that would come to the rescue of that building. Contrary to what outsiders might think, there is virtually nobody in Louisiana who knows what absinthe is, or gives a damn. That bar is just another rathole on Bourbon Street to them. As for the posers who were mentioned just because they have money, I'd prefer to see it burned to the ground than for them to have anything to do with it.

Ted Breaux and Oxygenee, that's a team that could maybe restore it to its former glory, but what's the point? Absinthe will not be legal in the U.S. in our lifetime.
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 585

Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

In March of 2001 there were two fountains on the daiquiri bar; both had metal statues on top. One was a god (Apollo?) and one was a goddess (Diana?). Both had come from the Old Absinthe House, apparently along with the bar.
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 606

Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, one of the fountains is in the Old Daiquiri Hut (without the statue on top...Stolen) and the other fountain is in the current Absinthe house..I have a picture of both I can show that is current and update. I know for sure, if this does happen, that I will be there to watch..and catch any falling items.
Marcellin (Marcellin)
Mousquetaire
Username: Marcellin

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nolomour,

Do you know if the Daiquiri Hut still has the old absinthe fountains on the bar (counter)? There were two fountains with brass/bronze women on the tops and I believe the sides of the fountains were constructed of green marble. If they still exist they should at least be rescued from the disgraceful surroundings of a Daiquiri Hut and ensconced in a suitable place of honor (like my collection perhaps – just kidding).

P.
Althea (Rosietwobears)
Mousquetaire
Username: Rosietwobears

Post Number: 24

Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

stupid double post
Absinthe maketh the heart grow fonder
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 605

Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yea, Sambo, I have seen this before...(If you're from NOLA) Do you know the old Post Office on Carrollton? For historic reasons, the city said, NO - you can't get rid of the building, so they tore down all but the facade and built up the rest of the building behind it. NOW, there is this 3 story facade with a one story building behind it...How stupid is that?

Preservation? I think not. A way to get around history for the sake of getting what you want? Probably. New Orleans likes to ignore problems if people only grouse behind closed doors.

Althea (Rosietwobears)
Mousquetaire
Username: Rosietwobears

Post Number: 23

Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

yeah but trents tied up in nothing studios working on the non-existent Tapeworm project with maynard and playing video games.
damn him.
Absinthe maketh the heart grow fonder
Kallisti (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 843

Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Trent R. lives there ... he should get off his ass and do something.

*spams friends in nola*

I'll get back to you.

k a l l i s t i

Sambeau (Sambeau)
Mousquetaire
Username: Sambeau

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

That is very sad news. On a positive note, I would think that N.O. would have some type of historical related city restrictions that would atleast keep them from turning it into a TGI Fridays.
Andreas H. (Aion)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Aion

Post Number: 111
Posted on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"... culture is being thrown away for the sake of money and greed. Damn, doesn’t anyone care about Tradition anymore?"

Sorry to say that, but it seems to be the way
of (some) American companies to do business.
They are on the best way to destroy the eating
culture worldwide.
And if they could, they would convert every
European castle into a fucking Disneyland.
Money is everything, traditions do not count!

Oh!, wait, if tradition could help them to make
even more money, much more money....

So if absinthe could be sold legally, especially these 2 locations would become THE hot spots of the nightlife in NOLA, and the daiquiri hut disaster would be history.

So the solution seems to be: LEGALIZE ABSINTHE!!

And in the meantime, I know the idea sounds quite absurd, but maybe some absinthe minded
"celebrities", eg. our old "friend" Marilyn Manson or Johnny Depp or... could help to rescue
the absinthe tradition of NOLA!

Another fucking daiquiry shop, SHUDDER!!!
That must not happen!!

A.

Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 604

Posted on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

As some of you know, The Absinthe House Bar, once possessing the actual bar, was bought and converted into a damned Daiquiri Hut in 1988…the bar itself has since been destroyed. This was the location where Brian Lee used to play his Gibson, Flying V until 4 or 5 am almost every weekend. The New bar called “Jean Lafitte’s Absinthe House” is now in the actual location of the original “Old Absinthe House”.

OK, on to my bit of news: As I was researching some Real Estate today, I had a chat with one of the residents of a particular home that just happened to be the Bar “Temptress” aka Bartender of the Old Absinthe House. As we spoke of the wonderful history and culture of Absinthe, she had a sad look about her. Upon inquiry, she told me that Jean Lafitte’s Absinthe House has been SOLD to the same people that bought the last one and she says that it may be converted into YET ANOTHER Daiquiri Hut or some sad likeness of its kind.

Now to me, this is tremendous as it's culture is being thrown away for the sake of money and greed. Damn, doesn’t anyone care about Tradition anymore? I may be getting ahead of myself because, presently, it is still the Old Absinthe House, but since I heard it from the Horse's Mouth, so to speak, it seems real. I’ve seen so many traditional staples of New Orleans torn down for the sake of greed that I’m sick.

IF this is true, I say PETITION! Screw the war, I’m going to protest this sad bit of, probably undisclosed, news.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page