Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through February 27, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru March 2003 » Absinthe virgin deflowered.... » Archive through February 27, 2003 « Previous Next »

Crosby (Crosby)
le Duc
Username: Crosby

Post Number: 315

Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

C'est ma santé
gary kiger (Teneng)
Mousquetaire
Username: Teneng

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

alright... in the air force, i work in computer network security and information assurance. i know for a fact that they cannot monitor any of my activity on the network without probable cause and a warrant. and if something comes of this and they were to court matial me on information they collected from, email or something. it wouldnt hold up in court. although i signed my life away a year ago, i still have a few basic rights.
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 607

Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

"Any person subject to the UCMJ who wrongfully uses, possesses, or distributes any product containing Thujone..."

Better not get caught with sage.

The crux of the biscuit here is "wrongfully". They'll stuff you with sage in the chow hall along with your stuffing. But they DON'T want you messing with a certain foreign liquor of poisonous reputation. They confess in that order that they can't really nail you on the drug aspect of it, because thujone is not a "scheduled" drug. And I doubt there is any drug test for it in current use. But they make it very clear, they don't want you messing with absinthe. Also, the order could be read to imply that it's only a concern overseas, and not in the United States. But my guess is that's because they assumed that there was no absinthe to be had inside the States and thus it wasn't a concern "stateside". And in 1999, they were just about right. As always, thujone is the excuse, not the issue.

Bragging in public, using your real name, assuming there is some aspect of your "privacy" that the military is bound to respect, as a couple of people have pointed out, those are your real concerns.
Turdferguson (Turdferguson)
Mousquetaire
Username: Turdferguson

Post Number: 13

Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

One more thing... make sure you're not using you're real name to post.
gary kiger (Teneng)
Paysan

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

sound advice... ill shut up.

you people are awsome
Z (Zman7)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Zman7

Post Number: 207
Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Regarding the Naval Personnel Command link that M.Artemis provided. It appears that this is a "recommended" standing order. It does not appear that it is at the level of being a standing order. However, it may have become a standing order. I would just keep quiet about it if I were in the Military and wanted to enjoy absinthe. As far as I know, there is no "pee test" to look for thujone. And if there was, blame it on the sage in your fried chicken.
Bob (I_b_puffin)
le Vicomte
Username: I_b_puffin

Post Number: 75
Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Any person subject to the UCMJ who wrongfully uses, possesses, or distributes any product containing Thujone..."

Better not get caught with sage.

Turdferguson (Turdferguson)
Mousquetaire
Username: Turdferguson

Post Number: 12

Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just got out of the Marines, and here are the concerns I have:

Do you live in the barracks?

Do you visit absinthe-related sites and post these messages using a government computer or send e-mail using a government mail account?

Are you sharing your absinthe with all your fellow jarheads/squids/flyboys/army dogs/coasties and blabbing about how great this stuff is?

If the answer to one or more of these questions is yes, than you are at a much higher risk of getting caught.

Also, Thujone has been compared with THC in terms of molecular structure and effects on the brain (follow link below). Has anyone here been tested for THC and passed? This would be my biggest concern if I were still in the military, which is why I waited 'till I had my DD-214 in hand before I tried absinthe for the first time.

http://www.phc.vcu.edu/feature/thuj/thujone.html

And to answer your specific question of which to try next, I'd go with one of Betty's La Bleues.
The (Celticgent)
Mousquetaire
Username: Celticgent

Post Number: 50

Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 7:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Haven't heard of the PATRIOT ACT? Big Brother is watching us, my good man. "Illegal" wiretapping is something of the past. It's legal now........

"But they cant check our email, that would fall under the illegal wiretapping.
besisdes i would have been screwed along time ago if they did that shit."
In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
Mondino de' Luzzi (Drinkslinger)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Drinkslinger

Post Number: 174
Posted on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You kids!
gary kiger (Teneng)
Paysan

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

its good shit though, totally worth it...

... and a loophole "Members who knowingly use, possess, or distribute them[thujone] while OUTSIDE the United States ". im safe, that shit wont hold up in court.
Masqued Reveler (Nolamour)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Nolamour

Post Number: 625

Posted on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Absinthe may be one thing, but I know we used to get the cheapest Kegs of Beer on Sunday at the Reserve Commissary in Shreveport.

Due to the Bible Belt "No Beer on Sundays" Blue Laws, we had to drive an hour to Sleezeport with one of the Reservists just for beer...Thank God for the Commissary.
Laissez le Bon Temps Rouler!
Jay & The Imp (Thegreenimp)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Thegreenimp

Post Number: 218

Posted on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The Navy doesn't still Keel-Haul Absinthe drinkers do they?........Maybe the intestinal parasite defense could work.
Seriously though, It may well somewhat doubtfull that the Navy could even screen for Thujone dependency accurately...(proving Thujone dependency would be interesting in court) though I wouldn't want to do that in a C.M. setting.
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 604

Posted on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

http://navdweb.spawar.navy.mil/fr_index.html?/navadmins/absinthe.htm
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 603

Posted on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"whats this about court martial"

Supposedly, the Department of the Navy decreed in 1999 that any American sailor, anywhere in the world, found in possession of a bottle of absinthe, is subject to court martial.

"But they cant check our email, that would fall under the illegal wiretapping"

Illegal wiretapping by the military. Now that's funny.
Moonman's friend (Wolfgang)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Wolfgang

Post Number: 873
Posted on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well....if you get caught, tell them you read something about a war in Algerie where the French military was providing absinthe to soldiers to keep them healthy...

Anyway, take care. Maybe you should find a way to get it delivered outside of the base, maybe at a friend`s house.
Mondino de' Luzzi (Drinkslinger)
le Duc
Username: Drinkslinger

Post Number: 172
Posted on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Perhaps they are just gathering more and more information for the court marshall.

Perhaps they're hoping you'll implicate someone else...

I heard GWB likes Hills.
gary kiger (Teneng)
Paysan

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

ah shit...
But they cant check our email, that would fall under the illegal wiretapping.
besisdes i would have been screwed along time ago if they did that shit.
Jay & The Imp (Thegreenimp)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Thegreenimp

Post Number: 216

Posted on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I believe at least one branch of the service prohibits absinthe consumption, (perhaps the others do as well) Remember, in the eyes of the military, you are the same as military property.
So you might want to be discrete, with not only your purchase, but your e-mails as well, (if going through the base)
gary kiger (Teneng)
Paysan

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

whats this about court martial... from what i understood this shit wasnt illegal for personal use. am i wrong? i know underage drinking is, but what will happen is i will get a letter of repremand and have to take an alcohol awareness class...
Althea (Rosietwobears)
Mousquetaire
Username: Rosietwobears

Post Number: 28

Posted on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

shhhhhhhhhhhh

....echelon

if they didnt know about your emile before they do now!
run!
run while you still can!
Absinthe maketh the heart grow fonder
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 602

Posted on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"customs doesnt check packages that are heading to a military base"

You're guessing, and guessing wrong. You're subject to court martial, too, if you're in the Navy; maybe the other services as well. What happened is you got lucky. For now.
Pervert Euchre (Perruche_verte)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Perruche_verte

Post Number: 404
Posted on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

BTW, if it's the Emile 68, you've probably already had the best commercial stuff. Now that you're prematurely spoiled, try their other brands.
"What makes heroic strife famed afar?
What makes heroic strife ?
To whet th' assassin's knife,
Or hunt a Parent's life, wi bluidy war!"
--(attributed to) Robert Burns
Pervert Euchre (Perruche_verte)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Perruche_verte

Post Number: 401
Posted on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

**Thanks Perruche ... point taken. xo, Admin**
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
--Hermann Goering
gary kiger (Teneng)
Paysan

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just got a bottle of une emille in the mail. it actually took longer to get registered in this forum than it did to ship the bottle...

im really quite suprised it made it here. im in the military. and the fact that customs doesnt check packages that are heading to a military base is pretty strange... kinda scary too.

so now that i know the shit will actually make it here. whats the best stuff to get?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page