Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Paranoid question

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru March 2003 » Paranoid question « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through March 4, 2003Gasspectro (Gasspect25 3-4-03  1:18 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Bellypock (Bellypock)
Mousquetaire
Username: Bellypock

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Apparently even wormwood won't live in Indiana.
Moonman's friend (Wolfgang)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Wolfgang

Post Number: 881
Posted on Wednesday, March 5, 2003 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I once found a nice US source but had to look elsewhere for similar custom charges reasons.

Look around and you should be able to find some in the US (of course I don't remember the URL).
Pervert Euchre (Perruche_verte)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Perruche_verte

Post Number: 409

Posted on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Canning looks like a very nice source for organically-grown plants... they have an excellent page on natural pest and disease control.

Unfortunately those of us in the U.S. must pay a $20 fee for the privilege of getting their plants across the border.
"Drink accomplished what God did not." --Marguerite Duras
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 880
Posted on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

PV.: I got some of my pontica plants from canningperenials.

By the way, right now I`m drinking a very young artisanal absinthe that is full of italian pontica (and many other things). Very nice, even if it will be way better in a month or two.
Becky Jones (Beckbjj)
Mousquetaire
Username: Beckbjj

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

>> To that deadbeat, you should point out the witch woman shops that sell ragweed for Pontica. <<

LOL! That would be perfect! They're made for each other!

Becky
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 628

Posted on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Are you sure you used Google?"

When I said it wasn't there, I meant ready-to-use herb, not seeds or plants that MIGHT get you a yield in a season or two, if you're a gardener and have a little luck to boot.

"I can help the Fin dude after all!"

To that deadbeat, you should point out the witch woman shops that sell ragweed for Pontica.
Quelle vie ont eue nos grands-parents
Entre l'absinthe et les grands-messes... ?

Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 627

Posted on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"you can grow it in your garden (at least in the regions shown on Drinksligner`s map)."

You could grow it anywhere in the U.S. That map is intended to show where it grows wild, it's not a cultivation zone map. That's obvious if you consider that Illinois and Indiana have the same winter climate, but one is green and one is white on the map!

To date, there has been no reason for anybody to cultivate it commercially in the U.S. other than for garden decoration, because there has been no other use for it. It's been grown in Europe all along for vermouth and a few other things. The best comes from Italy, but Wolfgang has a point; there is nothing so satisfying as growing your own.

Pervert Euchre (Perruche_verte)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Perruche_verte

Post Number: 408

Posted on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Are you sure you used Google? Here's what I found:

http://canningperennials.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Artemisia_pontica_72.html
http://www.bernwodeplants.co.uk/listing.htm
http://www.antiqueplants.com/list.html
http://www.ahners.com/Spring2003Preview/perennials.htm

Among a handful of others... all of them sell the plant or the seeds, not the dried herb.

This site claims to sell A. genepi (wow):
http://www.ricecreekgardens.com/alpcarta.html

"Drink accomplished what God did not." --Marguerite Duras
Becky Jones (Beckbjj)
Mousquetaire
Username: Beckbjj

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well hot damn, I live in Wisconsin...where according to that map we're apparently crawling with the stuff! Hell, there's probably some just itching to sprout up in my back yard right now. Maybe I can help the Fin dude after all!

Becky
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 879
Posted on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It`s almost impossible to find it dried and ready to use because nobody needs it around here. Some specialized herb farm can sell you the live plant and you can grow it in your garden (at least in the regions shown on Drinksligner`s map).

Of course, it`s always difficult to be 100% sure that what you buy is really a.pontica...

I grow it in a garden but so far I was unable to find someone who could tell me for sure that what I grow is Pontica.

Once dryed it`s comparable to the one sold by the guy Artemis is talking about except that I can dry it slowly and carefully while keeping most of the color (but sorry, I don`t sell it, I don`t have enough to do so. Please don`t even ask).

Now I just hope it will survive winter, I`m not sure yet.
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 623

Posted on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"?"

Ragweed, is my guess.

I've lived in three of those states and never saw any A.P. Good luck scouring the countryside for it, though. Next July, that is, which is how long you'll have to wait for it to flower, IF it's there. Or, you can believe what I told you about the Ebay guy, make it easy on yourself, and be guaranteed of the best possible product.

Mondino de' Luzzi (Drinkslinger)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Drinkslinger

Post Number: 179
Posted on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

?Where's the stuff man...

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page