Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Building a PC...ned some help

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » Building a PC...ned some help « Previous Next »

Barsnake (Barsnake)
le Duc
Username: Barsnake

Post Number: 160
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

A friend sent me this - it could help...
http://lego.bebee.dk/
and the beat goes on...
Paranoid Absintheur (Crowlyman)
le Duc
Username: Crowlyman

Post Number: 308

Posted on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishHistoryReview.asp?position=HISTORY&submit=VIEW&ID=251158

This is the page showing my computer...Don't know if the link works...
Heathen Beaner (Emmy)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Emmy

Post Number: 65

Posted on Monday, March 3, 2003 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

the motherboard manual should be all you need. it's really simple. most new motherboards have an autorecognition of whatever cpu is put in so all you have to do is lift a lever, match the pins, lower lever, et voila.

otherwise it's still pretty simple. will be two rows of little switches. one for a base speed and one a multiplyer... say a 1ghz chip: set at 10 x 100mhz etc.
le Duc

Post Number: 306

Posted on Monday, March 3, 2003 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, I just don't know...I will probably end up buying from newegg and trying to do it myself...Does anyone know of a GOOD guide to installing AMD chips onto a mainboard? I mean, besides the obvious manuals that come with them. I googled it, but came up with quadzillions of hits...
Barsnake (Barsnake)
le Duc
Username: Barsnake

Post Number: 156
Posted on Monday, March 3, 2003 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Is there a PC Club near you - they usually take pretty good care of folks.
I got a kit and put it together - pretty easy. It woulda been cheap but I upgraded some components and ran the price up.
I agree - the processor chip should be no problen to install - it is easier to do before you mount the motherboard...most of the other connections are pretty straight forward - they will only go one way and in one place. Some of the switch and lamp wiring can be confusing - but not too bad.
Good Luck
and the beat goes on...
Z (Zman7)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Zman7

Post Number: 209
Posted on Monday, March 3, 2003 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

tiger direct has good prices, but their customer service (after the sale) is the WORST. I made the mistake of buying from them once. Never again.
gary kiger (Teneng)
Mousquetaire
Username: Teneng

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, March 2, 2003 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"The only part that really worries me is putting the processor (amd Socket a) onto the mainboard..."

its pretty easy, the socket is keyed so you cant put it in wrong. its almost impossible to mess it up.

but if yo dont think you can do it go to tigerdirect.com. your not gonna find shit cheaper than at new egg though.
le Duc

Post Number: 305

Posted on Sunday, March 2, 2003 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Checking them out now...thanks.
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 619

Posted on Sunday, March 2, 2003 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I don't know about building one - I considered that, but recently I decided to let Cybertron PC (www.cybertronpc.com) build me one instead. It was cheap and it works perfectly. Check out their web page, they have a configurator there somewhere.

They won't even put an operating system on there or format the hard drive(s) if you don't want them to, much less put all the shit on it that Dell or somebody would. I'm more than satisfied with what I got from them and with their service.
Quelle vie ont eue nos grands-parents
Entre l'absinthe et les grands-messes... ?

le Duc

Post Number: 304

Posted on Sunday, March 2, 2003 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi there fellers...I am putting a computer together soon, but I am apprehensive about actually building the thing myself. I am ordering all the parts from newegg but they dont preassemble the pc, I was wondering if one of you guys know of a reliable site that does this sort of thing. The only part that really worries me is putting the processor (amd Socket a) onto the mainboard...and I am not sure about most of the cables and connections. The rest of it I am pretty sure I can do on my own. I figure someone here may know something about where to buy a preassembled purely customized computer online.
Thanks

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page