Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View

Archive through March 4, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru March 2003 » Paranoid question » Archive through March 4, 2003 « Previous Next »

Author Message
Gasspectro (Gasspectro)
Mousquetaire
Username: Gasspectro

Post Number: 30
Registered: 1-2003
Posted on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm sold! Where do I buy? MMMMMMM,THUUUJOOOONE!
Kallisti (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 865
Registered: 1-1998

Posted on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

HEEEHEEHAHAHAHA!
“A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere.” - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
Gasspectro (Gasspectro)
Mousquetaire
Username: Gasspectro

Post Number: 29
Registered: 1-2003
Posted on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That idiot on Ebay goes by the name of "tobybackwoods." Avoid him at all costs.
Here's the link if you want a good laugh:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4765&item=2618755009&rd=1

You've been warned.
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 622
Registered: 10-2000

Posted on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

BTW, even if you find it in Europe (which is the only place you'll find it - in Italy, to be precise) they probably won't even talk to you. They'll only sell to licensed importers and only then in very large amounts. It's come to my attention there's an idiot on Ebay selling some and making stupid claims about it (it's the "secret ingredient" in absinthe!) - he bought it from the first person I mentioned, who's a decent sort. Bypass the asshole, seek out the first guy. He reads this board.
Quelle vie ont eue nos grands-parents
Entre l'absinthe et les grands-messes... ?

Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 620
Registered: 10-2000

Posted on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Where does one find Artemisia pontica online?"

One doesn't.

"It didn't google up, so I don't feel too stupid asking."

You won't find it because it's not there. Some in private hands (from Europe) has been sold on Ebay from time to time, that's your best bet. Beware of "Artemisia Pontica" from witchy-woman type shops, it's probably ragweed and certainly NOT Pontica.
Quelle vie ont eue nos grands-parents
Entre l'absinthe et les grands-messes... ?

Mondino de' Luzzi (Drinkslinger)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Drinkslinger

Post Number: 178
Registered: 11-2002
Posted on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Here-

http://www.b-and-t-world-seeds.com/a1.asp?title=Plants+Aromatic+and+Fragrant&list=55

But I haven't found a source for "live" plants yet.
Kallisti (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 864
Registered: 1-1998

Posted on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'll be revamping my online herby sources later ... all will be revealed!

Or, I'd just tell you but my notes are at work. heh.
“A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere.” - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
James Bain (Orgulasmaggot)
Mousquetaire
Username: Orgulasmaggot

Post Number: 17
Registered: 10-2002
Posted on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

So, I'll bite.

Where does one find Artemisia pontica online?

It didn't google up, so I don't feel too stupid asking.
Darrin, Stalker of Head (Traineraz)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Traineraz

Post Number: 862
Registered: 5-2002
Posted on Sunday, March 2, 2003 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Maybe someone just needs to tell him that the plant is "Artemisia absinthium" (and, of course, Artemisia pontica down the line, after he learns how to work a still) rather than "wormwood."
Moonman's friend (Wolfgang)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Wolfgang

Post Number: 876
Registered: 7-2001
Posted on Sunday, March 2, 2003 - 7:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ho well...sometimes I`m so drunk that I do answer those...the answer is always just a link to those Bedel recipes or something like that. Nothing more.
Moonman's friend (Wolfgang)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Wolfgang

Post Number: 875
Registered: 7-2001
Posted on Sunday, March 2, 2003 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I get emails like that about once a week. Forget about it. If the guy is unable to do a google seach for ''wormwood herb'' for sure he won`t be able to make absinthe anyway...
Absinthe Queen of Reviews (Head_prosthesis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Head_prosthesis

Post Number: 1709
Registered: 1-2001

Posted on Saturday, March 1, 2003 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ufta!
Pata-P LOVES SPECIAL "H"! HE'S "A" NUMBER ONE FAN!!!
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 616
Registered: 10-2000

Posted on Saturday, March 1, 2003 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

In case ya'll think I make this stuff up:

"Heinäsirkka, heinäsirkka, mene täältä hiiteen" (roughly translated: "Grasshopper, grasshopper, go to Hell!").

See: http://www.sturho.com/
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 615
Registered: 10-2000

Posted on Saturday, March 1, 2003 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Send him some catnip. He'll "drink with (his) artis friends" and be happy about his generous American style girl friend without knowing the difference. I was driving through a coastal town with a friend in Washington state one day and we saw some guys painting a house purple.

"That's what happens when you steal paint in the dark", said my friend (a Finn by ancestry, btw).
We later found out that town had a large Finnish contingent and that day was the holiday of some Finnish hero who had saved Finland from a grasshopper plague or something. They paint a lot of stuff purple to celebrate that day, apparently.

Also, according to my friend, many such celebrations in Finland in the olden days wound up with the whole town being burned down. Something about too much vodka. I wish my friend Luger (from one of the Scandanavian countries; not a Finn) was still here; he used to crack me up with stories about Finns.
Spoon Boy (Absinthespoon)
le Duc
Username: Absinthespoon

Post Number: 235
Registered: 7-2001

Posted on Saturday, March 1, 2003 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I didn't get that one, but I did get one offering to sell me wormwood. Since I don't need any I just said "no thanks" and deleted it.
Becky Jones (Beckbjj)
Mousquetaire
Username: Beckbjj

Post Number: 23
Registered: 7-2002
Posted on Saturday, March 1, 2003 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ah, thank you. That definitely makes me feel better about the whole thing. I'm still gonna ignore him though, especially since I can't help him.

Becky
Kallisti (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 862
Registered: 1-1998

Posted on Saturday, March 1, 2003 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I got the email too.

My first instinct is it is a joke, what with the lime green background and giant scary emoticon.

But his email comes up on usenet, in finnish even.

I get emails like this all the time, and don't answer most of them.
“A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere.” - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
Absinthe Queen of Reviews (Head_prosthesis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Head_prosthesis

Post Number: 1707
Registered: 1-2001
Posted on Saturday, March 1, 2003 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, you know it is "crikey cold" in Finland.
Suppose he'd mind a wet bag of oregano?
Pata-P LOVES SPECIAL "H"! HE'S "A" NUMBER ONE FAN!!!
Becky Jones (Beckbjj)
Mousquetaire
Username: Beckbjj

Post Number: 22
Registered: 7-2002
Posted on Saturday, March 1, 2003 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

>> "Would you please send me stuff at
your expense" Ah yes. That's a classic. <<

Very true! Not that I'd have any ability to do so in the first place! ;-)

>> Reason he picked you is coz you're a girl.
Boys like girls. Specially those hotmail/aol
trollercreepz. No offense to you, your womaness
or your aol account. <<

LOL! Hmmm...I'll have to point out the boys like girls thing to my husband, who has been glued to his computer all day! ;-) No offense taken...I'm on AOL not because of a lack of ability, but because I get enough of Outlook during my work day, and because I don't want to have to change my email addy with all the places that send me legit mail. As I said, pure laziness!

I'll trash the email and try not to ponder too much why a Fin troll would bother with me, with so few posts here and nothing absinthe-related about me anywhere else! A nice glass or two of Emile should do the trick!

Becky
Absinthe Queen of Reviews (Head_prosthesis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Head_prosthesis

Post Number: 1706
Registered: 1-2001
Posted on Saturday, March 1, 2003 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Would you please send me stuff at
your expense" Ah yes. That's a classic.

Reason he picked you is coz you're a girl.
Boys like girls. Specially those hotmail/aol
trollercreepz. No offense to you, your womaness
or your aol account.

Occasionally I get emails like that from
idiots in the buckeye state.

Just don't repsond.

Pata-P LOVES SPECIAL "H"! HE'S "A" NUMBER ONE FAN!!!
Becky Jones (Beckbjj)
Mousquetaire
Username: Beckbjj

Post Number: 21
Registered: 7-2002
Posted on Saturday, March 1, 2003 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Okay, the email & headers are below. Headers probably aren't going to reveal much as I use an AOL addy (out of laziness...Outlook can be such a hassle...and I get AOL cheap via the BYO access plan) and he's using hotmail. I guess reasons I think it *might* be a genuine inquiry and not someone testing to see if they get a reply are that there's a full name and snail mail addy, and something about the way it's written (although I've seen lots of convincingly written scam emails too). The thing that makes me suspicious is that he picked me of all people to ask. I mean, I've been here and occasionally posting for some time, but no one could ever mistake me as an authority compared to some folks here. At least he's not asking if he can use my bank account to transfer millions of dollars and for my trouble I'll get a percentage (the infamous "Nigerian scam")! ;-) Anyway, here it is:

>> Greetings from Finland

I just read Your nice story about the Absinth, and how to handle with it.
I have been interested of that quite a long time.. after one of my friends had one bottle of that. I am making homemade liquers and now I want to have also Absinth in my refrigerator.
Problem is, that it is cold here in Finland and we do not have Wormwood... as a matter of fact I have gone throught at least 16 different dictionaries, but could not fint the finnish translating of that word...
If I understood right, so You can find many kind of wormwood; leaves etc. Now I ask You, dear collega, can You think about to send me some of that very interesting substance.
If You can think to do that, so, please, do not think to get much money of me, ´cos I do not have it. Almost all liqueurs I make, we drink with my artis friends. Friends I have, but not too much money... as You understand.

So please, if You can help me, so keep on touch.

Sincerely Yours

e-mail: fillariry@hotmail.com

ALEX Rajasalo
Harjukatu 5 c
00500 Helsinki
FINLAND <<

Headers (with some formatting info removed...he used "IncrediMail" (???) which apparently generated a cutesy background etc.):