Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through March 7, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » The Monkey Hole » Archive Thru March 2003 » Duct and Cover » Archive through March 7, 2003 « Previous Next »

Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 633

Posted on Friday, March 7, 2003 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Post deleted, it was in the wrong thread. See the hate the French (I think) thread.
Quelle vie ont eue nos grands-parents
Entre l'absinthe et les grands-messes... ?

Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 632

Posted on Friday, March 7, 2003 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It would work just as fine at a peace demonstration in Denver. That cooler behind the cab holds four cases of Pabst Blue Ribbon, and the collected hits of Johnny Cash are on a six-disc changer.

Pervert Euchre (Perruche_verte)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Perruche_verte

Post Number: 414

Posted on Friday, March 7, 2003 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Great, a 'technical'.

Part of what makes life in Somalia such an adventure.
"Drink accomplished what God did not." --Marguerite Duras
Crosby (Crosby)
le Duc
Username: Crosby

Post Number: 327

Posted on Friday, March 7, 2003 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Now that will pretty much resolve most situations!
C'est ma santé
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 631

Posted on Friday, March 7, 2003 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Twin50s

Barsnake (Barsnake)
le Duc
Username: Barsnake

Post Number: 159
Posted on Friday, March 7, 2003 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Not trying to antagonize you, Jack, but I could not resist...in keeping with the Spinal Tap member explaining about how his amplifier knobs go to 11. That's nice, Crosby, but the S&W is a .50 calibre.
(Lots more Monkey Sounds - off into the distance)
and the beat goes on...
Crosby (Crosby)
le Duc

Post Number: 326

Posted on Friday, March 7, 2003 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's not a matter of hating homeless people because one of them committed a brutal crime. I was just responding to the moronic notion that they are all harmless. I saw quite a bit of violence among the homeless in the seven months I worked at the SF civic Auditorium, one of their favorite places to congregate. How much of it was fueled by mental illness, I don't know. But I do know quite a lot of it was driven by alcohol and crack.
C'est ma santé
Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 858

Posted on Friday, March 7, 2003 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

...and let's not start the gun thing again. Really. It gets nowhere.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 857

Posted on Friday, March 7, 2003 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

Tell that to the nine month pregnant woman who was beaten by a mentally ill homeless person two days ago. He broke into her Bernal Heights (SF) home and beat her, mostly about the head, tore the ear off her head and left her in a coma for dead.

So it's OK to hate homeless people because one of them committed a brutal crime? THAT's a slippery slope.

Regardless, far more women are killed by their own husbands than are killed by crazed homeless people by several orders of magnitude, and homeless people are more likely to be the VICTIMS of violent crime than the perpeteators...
Crosby (Crosby)
le Duc

Post Number: 324

Posted on Friday, March 7, 2003 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

More like:
No monkey sounds required!
C'est ma santé
Barsnake (Barsnake)
le Duc
Username: Barsnake

Post Number: 158
Posted on Friday, March 7, 2003 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

OOh OOH AHH AHH! (monkey sounds)
sw500.jpg
and the beat goes on...
Crosby (Crosby)
le Duc

Post Number: 323

Posted on Friday, March 7, 2003 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Being able to defend yourself is the only true security. The police won't protect you, meanwhile elected official spend millions trying to prevent law abiding citizens from owning guns. I hope we don't end up like the spineless population of England that didn't stand up to the complete banning of hand guns and now are suffering the worst wave of gun crime ever.
C'est ma santé
gary kiger (Teneng)
Mousquetaire
Username: Teneng

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, March 7, 2003 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"military in order to (supposedly) keep its citizens safe "

it must be nice to live in a fantasy land.

"It's a bit late waiting until they commit a serious crime before protecting the public from them and you can't lock someone up in jail before they commit a serious offence"

this is why everyone should have a fuckin glock by there bedside... to blast these fuckers when they break into your home. in my opinion if some mental case were to break into my home his life is forfiet.
Lordhobgoblin (Lordhobgoblin)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Lordhobgoblin

Post Number: 704

Posted on Friday, March 7, 2003 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Tell that to the nine month pregnant woman who was beaten by a mentally ill homeless person two days ago... When he was arrested, he told the police he had just killed an alien."

Whose responsibility is it to ensure that potentially dangerously mentally ill people are kept in secure conditions? It's a bit late waiting until they commit a serious crime before protecting the public from them and you can't lock someone up in jail before they commit a serious offence. If you want safety from (and for) such people then they need to be treated in secure mental hospitals. Only the State can do this and it involves spending money raised by taxes. But if you look at how much the State spends on the military in order to (supposedly) keep its citizens safe the amount needed to keep people safe from danger from such mentally ill people is paltry. Does the proportion of taxpayers money spent on secure mental hospitals for potentially dangerous patients versus the proportion spent on the military fairly represent the proportion of the threat in both cases?

We have the situation in the UK also. The great 'Care in the Community' idea started by Margaret Thatcher (a woman who is on record as saying she doesn't believe in community, only in individuals) and carried out with enthusiasm by Tony Blair. A train ticket to London and a cardborad box to sleep in, that's about as much 'care in the community' that most of these people are likely to get.
Carl Guderian (Bjacques)
le Duc
Username: Bjacques

Post Number: 211
Posted on Thursday, March 6, 2003 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, Exploding homeless--America's unacknowledged terror! Didja ever see "Street Trash?"

They say irresponsible teens are mixing Tenafly Viper with absinthe...
Carl Guderian (Bjacques)
le Duc

Post Number: 210
Posted on Thursday, March 6, 2003 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That guy should be locked up! Oh, wait, he used to be...
Crosby (Crosby)
le Duc

Post Number: 322

Posted on Thursday, March 6, 2003 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"What sort of harm are they doing, other than a little urine and some name calling? They don't really pose any sort of threat to you and yours."

Tell that to the nine month pregnant woman who was beaten by a mentally ill homeless person two days ago. He broke into her Bernal Heights (SF) home and beat her, mostly about the head, tore the ear off her head and left her in a coma for dead. When he was arrested, he told the police he had just killed an alien.

C'est ma santé
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 844

Posted on Thursday, March 6, 2003 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Exploding homeless?!! That could be messy!
Carl Guderian (Bjacques)
le Duc

Post Number: 205
Posted on Wednesday, March 5, 2003 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The Great State of Texas did the same in the early '80s, rousting from mental hospitals anyone who wasn't criminally insane. The number of homeless in Texas exploded in the '80s.
Kallisti (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 867

Posted on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well yes, Reagan was guv'na during the cuts to California's state run mental health facilities too.

Kalifornia! Uber Alles!

er, except you crazy people ... have some Night Train.
“A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere.” - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 837

Posted on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

these are the people i was refering to.

I can see why you might not feel to friendly towards them, but that sort of vitriol ("walking piles of trash" ... "they fuckin disgust me") doesn't make a lot of sense to me. What sort of harm are they doing, other than a little urine and some name calling? They don't really pose any sort of threat to you and yours. You have far more power in our society than they do, and derive far more benefits from it. They are essentially defenseless and entirely at your mercy, from a social and economic perspective. What reason could there be to hate them?
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 836

Posted on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

Wasn't it you who recently told me here that welfare "ceased to exist" under Clinton? Calling it something else and claiming it's not there would be Clinton SOP, though.

It's complicated. The program usually known as "welfare" was officially Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC). AFDC had some limits, but it was possible to continue to collect benefits as long as there were dependent children and the family income was under a certain level. Contrary to claims of "welfare queens", the benefits were paltry, and not adjusted relative to inflation.

In 1996, Clinton passed the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act (which is a pretty backhanded title, IMO), which ended AFDC and replaced it with Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF). The main difference was that TANF benefits were temporary (usually 60 months), and required that the recipient start working within a period of time. It was also designed as a block-grant, leaving most of the disbusment to the states.

The net result was that the government could claim that thousands of people were now "off welfare", while only a fraction of them had found gainful work and almost all of them remained in poverty. They had just been cut off.

This is especially true of single parents, who are often unable to afford child-care on a single minimum-wage. The hope was that this change would "discourage illegitimacy", but all it has really done is increase the number of single mothers in severe poverty.

So, welfare as it was known from the 60's until the 90's is, indeed, dead. What exists in its place is, in my opinion, far worse a stain on Clinton's record than any blow-job. It's a plan Ronald Reagan would have loved.
Kallisti (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 866

Posted on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Heh, yeah, please draw a distinction between drunk asshole losers and the deserving if unfortunate masses.

I worked on Haight Street for four years, I know what you're talking about. Unfortunately even alot of these people suffer from severe mental disorders and are not necessarily drunks. Our state run mental health institutions went to the dogs in the 70's (due to budget cuts and a move to get these people off of state money) and alot these people ended up on the street, without the means or wherewithal to care for themselves or get help.

And if you were crazy and naked, what more beautiful city than San Francisco would you pick?

I lived in the Castro a couple years ago, and came out at 7am one morning to go to work to see some guy taking a dump on the tree in front of the house. Makes Arkansas start to sound reeeeal niiiiiice.
“A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere.” - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
gary kiger (Teneng)
Mousquetaire
Username: Teneng

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Yep, that's the big dirty secret of homelessness: most of them are NOT the ragged bums you see begging for change. They are regular folks, often families, who just had one too many things fuck up in the same month and ended up losing their home. More than a third of the homeless are CHILDREN for fuck's sake! Yeah, let's put all those lazy fucking 7-year-olds in work camps! "

ok, you make a point... but when i walk around town in san fran and i see a bum laying in a gutter with his dick out pissing on the ground. or when one of these fuckers calls me "dildo" cus im not willing to support his crack/alchohal addiction.

these are the people i was refering to. sorry for not making that clear.

Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 621

Posted on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

" ... the median TANF (the post-"reform" incarnation of welfare) benefit to a family of 3 is about $5000 a year ... "

Wasn't it you who recently told me here that welfare "ceased to exist" under Clinton? Calling it something else and claiming it's not there would be Clinton SOP, though.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page