Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through February 2, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru March 2003 » Screw Paris...... » Archive through February 2, 2003 « Previous Next »

Sicboy13
Posted on Sunday, February 2, 2003 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I did, however, quite enjoy London. Very nice chaps thems were. I was a fixture at The Albert. Quite a nice pub. Drank a lot of Kronenburg 1664. Learned not to order a drink called a "SnakeBite". Quite different form the American version.
Destiny
Posted on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

DR. PECKER RULES!!!

www.drpepper.com
Chevalier
Posted on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

To my tastebuds, Dr. Pepper = carbonated prune juice (artificially flavored)

And the old Crest "Regular Flavor" toothpaste tasted like root beer.
Artemis
Posted on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Who in their right minds would want to drink Dr Pepper anyway?"

Correct. I like Mr. Pibb Extra. The Extra means more of everything, especially the chemicals and sugar.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Who in their right minds would want to drink Dr Pepper anyway? Drinking a glass of it is like drinking a glass containing 50% artificial chemicals and 50% sugar. It tastes totally unnatural.
Destiny
Posted on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Good to know, I'm planning on visiting Amsterdam this year and will now bring my own Dr. Pepper - just in case...
Raschied
Posted on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 4:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

One of our techs has a 'thing' for Dr. Pepper, and when we were in Amsterdam a few years ago, he asked for it everywhere. Picture a guy with a thick San Antonio accent asking "Yew got Dr. Pepper? No?" and you'll get the picture.

The following year, he brought a few cans with him, and went store-to-store, restaurant-to-restaurant, showing them what it was.

2 years after that, one of the places we frequented (a little market just south of Red Light, near the Radisson hotel) actually started carrying the stuff.
Crosby
Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My little bit of French is very entertaining, except to the French.
Wolfgang
Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I got extremely good prices on fine wines, gastronomic food and rare clothes and boots in Paris... damn, what kind of moron would go to Paris to drink soft drinks !?!

Actually, people where offering me free glass of wine all around the place (happened in 3 ''café'' in less than 10 days)... but of course, you have to entertain them and speaking french really helps.
Crosby
Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sambeau,

I agree completely!

Hobie,

How about " if it wasn't for them we'd be speaking German"!!!
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

To be fair this isn't a disease that afflicts only Americans but yes too many tourists/travellers or whatever visit other countries with the attitude that the country visited should be eternally grateful for the fact that they are visiting it. They also assume that every local person they meet exists for the sole purpose of serving them no matter how rude they behave.

When visiting another country people should be grateful that that country is allowing them to visit it (you have no automatic right to visit a foreign country), at least learn the basic phrases in the country's language before visiting (or at least use a pocket phrase book when there), don't expect people to be grateful for your presence, respect local customs and don't complain because things are different from your own country. Common sense really but something that is lacking in many tourists. A nation is judged by the behaviour of the tourists it sends.
Sambeau
Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think some Americans forget the fundamental concept of travel: You are a guest in that country. With that comes some responsibility to show some respect to the culture. If every time I went to work I was approached by a fat middle aged french woman in skin tight blue jeans demanding I give her directions to somewhere in french, I'd be pissed off too. Many Americans don't seem to draw the distinction between touring a foriegn country and a trip to Disney World. As an American you are never going to blend in, but even the smallest amount of effort goes a long way. Just my 2 cents.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 3:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

How about "Loud person with a lot more money than style"?
Traineraz
Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 2:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

How about, "Economic Support Mechanism"? or maybe, "Foundation of Our Tourist Economy"?
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well if you all insist in walking around in white tennis shoes, checked shorts, badly fitting t-shirts with logos on them, baseball caps, wearing bum-bags (you Yanks call them fanny-packs), being generally very loud, complaining about people smoking in restaurants, complaining about most things, asking for something called 'de-caf' and having a video-camera glued to your hand then what do you expect to be called? Attractive American?
Crosby
Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I thought it was "ugly American", especially in Paris.
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Or "American" for short.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Is he the one that wears the t-shirt that says "I'm a tourist with a big, fat wallet, I don't speak your language and I am confused about what the equivalent value of your currency is in my usual currency."?
Louched_Liver
Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 4:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

You have to realise that Siccy is the sucker who shelled out $10 for one pack of ciggy butts in New York City. He's a willing magnet for a ripoff.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

For some reason soft drinks have always been a rip-off in Paris (especially if you sit down at a cafe along the Champs Elysse or somewhere similar) but 8 Euros is outrageous (that's £5!). If this is also the price for a large beer in Amsterdam then fuck that I'll not being going back there again.

Wages in Europe haven't risen in line with prices since the introduction of the Euro so who benefits from it? Not the public that's for sure. And Blair want's Britain to join the Euro and he seems surprised that the vast majority of the public here don't want it. Fuck the Euro, we should go further and pull out of the EU altogether, with fees, the CAP etc. it has cost us £160 billion since 1973 for being a member?
Jdm
Posted on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

someone i know just came back from paris and said he saw abs in the supermarkets, and smuggled some that he bought at th duty free liquor store in the friggin airport. where exactly did you look?
Louched_Liver
Posted on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ah, there's Siccy!
Crosby
Posted on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I had a great time in Paris. I didn't think the prices were any more ridiculous than the rest of the EU. Everything has become more expensive since the Euro. The same bar in Amsterdam that I paid four guilders for a large beer two years ago now charges four Euros. 1 Euro = 2.2 Guilders!
Nolamour
Posted on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Henny Youngman, ladies and gents...

I take my wife everywhere I go. She always finds her way back.

I once wanted to become an atheist but I gave up, they have no holidays.

You know what I did before I married? Anything I wanted to.

I've got all the money I'll ever need, if I die by four o'clock.

What's the use of happiness? It can't buy you money.

SO, SicBoy...Why no Absinthe????
Sicboy13
Posted on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I JUST FLOEW BACK FROM PARIS & BOY ARE MY ARMS TIRED. IT SUCKED. NO ABSINTHE 8 EUROS FOR A FRICKIN COKE>>>>>>>>THROW ME A FRIGGIN BONE HERE>>>>>>

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page