Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

The Golden Bough

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » The Golden Bough « Previous Next »

Alphasoixante (Alphasoixante)
le Duc
Username: Alphasoixante

Post Number: 102

Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

i recommend bookfinder.com. it's a brick. it's meta, meta. that is, it includes abebooks, alibris, etc in its searches.
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 691

Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Amen to what Kallisti and Oxygenee said. I've "used" Abebooks by locating the book I wanted at their site, finding out who actually had it for sale, and going to that seller direct, saving myself Abe's fee.
Quelle vie ont eue nos grands-parents
Entre l'absinthe et les grands-messes... ?

Kallisti (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 906

Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Book Whore sez:

Abebooks.com rocks!

It is my favorite ... but as a note, they are hooked up to amazon's used book search, very frequently when I order used through amazon its through abe and one of *their* vendors.
A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere. - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
Oxygenee (Oxygenee)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Oxygenee

Post Number: 130
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 7:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

By far the best online source for used and rare books is abebooks.com, which now completely dominates this part of the market. They have a hugely bigger selection than alibris, and they charge a fixed listing fee, not a markup, which means they are generally cheaper.

They currently list 1351 copies of the Golden Bough in various editions for sale, with the cheapest price for the 1951 13 volume set being $250.
Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 900

Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 6:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Man, you are talking about a dozen hard-back books. What were you expecting to pay?
Brett Tyre (Brett)
le Duc
Username: Brett

Post Number: 130

Posted on Wednesday, April 9, 2003 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sweet merciful crap! 400 pound is just over 800 canuck bucks!
Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 898

Posted on Wednesday, April 9, 2003 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was raised in the wild by a pack of feral librarians. There is no such thing as "giving up" on finding a book.

(Not that this took more than 2 minutes to find...)

Got 900 quid? Here's the current printing:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0333977084/ref=ase_macmillancorp-21/202-3295168-0345411

A (mixed) complete used set for $400:

http://www.alibris.com/search/detail.cfm?chunk=25&qtit=golden%20bough&S=R&bid=8121838086&pqtynew=&page=20&matches=490&qsort=p

A complete used set for $500:

http://www.alibris.com/search/detail.cfm?chunk=25&qtit=golden%20bough&S=R&bid=8109426743&pqtynew=&page=20&matches=490&qsort=p

and $700

http://www.alibris.com/search/detail.cfm?chunk=25&qtit=golden%20bough&S=R&bid=8035848101&pqtynew=&page=20&matches=490&qsort=p

The $400 set is a real bargain, considering what limited-market hardcovers go for. I can pretty much guarantee that the complete set has never been done in paperback, so that is the best you are going to do without stealing.
Jay & The Imp (Thegreenimp)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Thegreenimp

Post Number: 227

Posted on Wednesday, April 9, 2003 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

You can find several on eBay (why not everything else is there)
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 686

Posted on Wednesday, April 9, 2003 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Teach a man to fish, yadda yadda yadda

Hand a man a fish, and he winds up with a slimy hand.

Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 685

Posted on Wednesday, April 9, 2003 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was more than a little skeptical when I read that Brett was "near the point of giving up on this", as I've managed to root out extremely obscure French books on absinthe, older than the Golden Bough, and definitely out of print, which The Golden Bough is not. The Golden Bough should be a piece of cake by comparison. That is why I went to Amazon.com first, rather than checking Alibris or other antique book dealers I've used. I figured if Amazon, the McDonald's of books, discussed the 12-volume edition, even if they didn't have it, it couldn't be all that hard to find. And they did provide a pointer right to the publisher. I thought posting that pointer would be enough to get someone truly interested in finding the books going in the right direction.

Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 226

Posted on Tuesday, April 8, 2003 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

there are 22 copies on alibris
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 225

Posted on Tuesday, April 8, 2003 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

try www.alibris.com
Tortainglese (Tortainglese)
le Duc
Username: Tortainglese

Post Number: 204
Posted on Tuesday, April 8, 2003 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Have you simply tried going to a good used and rare book dealer? If they dont have it in stock they will search for it for you. Let a pro do it for you and you will get exactly what you desire, for a price of course. If no such business exists in your area, I am sure you could have the search done by phone or letter to any high end used/rare book dealer.
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 684

Posted on Tuesday, April 8, 2003 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"The books of The Golden Bough they have in stock aren't from the St. Martin's Press though."

I don't remember saying, or even implying that they were.

Bob (I_b_puffin)
le Vicomte
Username: I_b_puffin

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, April 8, 2003 - 7:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The books of The Golden Bough they have in stock aren't from the St. Martin's Press though.
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 681

Posted on Monday, April 7, 2003 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

A simple search on Amazon.com reveals:

"From Book News, Inc.
St. Martin's Press has for some time now accepted the noble mission of keeping Frazer's
(1854-1941) seminal work (essentially a transhistoric, comparative anthropology of folklore, magic, and religion) before the public in the complete and original form of its third edition (originally published in London by Macmillan, 1911-1915), rather than the ubiquitous abridgments which debase both the subject and the author's magisterial command of his materials and his art. Contrary to opinion from some corners, this is no relic--in the complete form presented here, it is nothing less than a window through which the modern world can watch its own mergence--a work worthy of the company of, say, Marx and Freud. Which makes the publication on acidic paper an egregious error--depriving the account of the endurance it deserves. (RC) Annotation copyright Book News, Inc. Portland, Oregon.

Bob (I_b_puffin)
le Vicomte
Username: I_b_puffin

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, April 7, 2003 - 7:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If it's not in print maybe you can find it on the internet since the version your looking for would be public domain now. Project Gutenberg is one source but there are many others if you look around. Guttenberg: http://www.promo.net/pg/
Brett Tyre (Brett)
le Duc
Username: Brett

Post Number: 128

Posted on Saturday, April 5, 2003 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Okay,

I'm near the point of giving up on this.

Does anyone know where I can acquire a complete, unabridged 12 volume set of Frazer's classic, "The Golden Bough"?

I have two completely different versions; both are abridged. Is the 12 volume set even still published?

(I figure this crowd would know, more so than say, someone at Chapters).

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page