Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through April 8, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Alcohol content question » Archive through April 8, 2003 « Previous Next »

Ayatollah of Rock and er... Rollah! (Head_prosthesis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Head_prosthesis

Post Number: 3290

Posted on Tuesday, April 8, 2003 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

GO SLERPIS! it's high alcohol,
it's ordinary, it's inarguably delicious.
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 683

Posted on Tuesday, April 8, 2003 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Liver and Peter were also on the mark, and without wearing out the keyboard!
Quelle vie ont eue nos grands-parents
Entre l'absinthe et les grands-messes... ?

Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 682

Posted on Tuesday, April 8, 2003 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

> Do we speak about colour or taste?

It's the same thing, unless you're talking about some crap that was dyed. How many times does it have to be explained here that "color" as obtained from plants is not about color, but about additional scent and flavor?? You need higher alcohol levels (70%) to support this "coloration". Therefore, higher proof absinthes are not necessarily of better quality. If they were, Hill's would be good absinthe. However, all the very best absinthes are of higher proof coincidentally.

Therefore:

"Strength has nothing to do with quality!"

You're wrong now and you would have been wrong a hundred years ago. "Fine" absinthes were always of higher proof. As the proof dropped, they were progressively called "semi-fine", and then "ordinary". Not because of alcohol alone, but for the reasons outlined above, and previously by Zman, who as usual, is as accurate as it is possible to be.

"Just believe me - I've tested more than 80 different Absinthes"

I submit that the vast majority of those were second-rate regardless of alcohol content, making it impossible to draw a conclusion based upon that universe of absinthes. When comparing ordinary to ordinary, it's pointless to talk about which ordinary is finer. None of them are as fine as fine absinthe.

Blackjack summed it up well. The BEST absinthes are going to be higher proof, but not simply because more alcohol is a better thing in and of itself.
Quelle vie ont eue nos grands-parents
Entre l'absinthe et les grands-messes... ?

Fuckin' dickhead (Louched_liver)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Louched_liver

Post Number: 1325
Posted on Tuesday, April 8, 2003 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Zman has condensed the issue beautifully!
I agree wholeheartedly w/his assesment.

And Markus, I agree that strength has nothing to do w/quality-Quality does. Turns out all the quality ones are high strength.
pierre verte (Petermarc)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Petermarc

Post Number: 423
Posted on Tuesday, April 8, 2003 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Z (Zman7)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Zman7

Post Number: 228
Posted on Tuesday, April 8, 2003 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The higher alcohol can hold more herbal constituents, including the final coloring herbs. And, as we all know, the final coloring herbs are about flavor, not color. Absinthes that are lower than 68%, won't hold on to the natural coloring for as long. Again, if it's artifically colored, or an oil mix, it doesn't make any difference.
Imperial Order of Absinthe
Markus Lion (Mclion)
le Duc
Username: Mclion

Post Number: 122
Posted on Tuesday, April 8, 2003 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Perruche (like the tune on your site...)

Well, I've tested the Emile 68 and the 45 directly and (if you want so) in my mouth the 68 isn't better than the 45. I know, that most people here disagree with this, but as a word says here - "you can't really argue on taste". Everone has a different taste and I'm not too much into high alcohol contents.

Do you agree to me, that when you've got a 70% Absinthe, you've got to add more water, to have a pleasent drink, than to a 45%? Also, you've got to pay more for it, because of the higher tax.

To answer your question (..what a surprise...) take the good 45% Absinthes and you've got most of my favourites (Segarra, Kübler, Guy, Emile).

Markus
Pervert Euchre (Perruche_verte)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Perruche_verte

Post Number: 436

Posted on Tuesday, April 8, 2003 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I phrased that wrong, of course...

But I think Emile 45 can't really approach Emile 68. What are your own favorites, Markus?
"Drink accomplished what God did not." --Marguerite Duras
Markus Lion (Mclion)
le Duc

Post Number: 121
Posted on Tuesday, April 8, 2003 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Maybe it's a question of personal taste...
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 435

Posted on Tuesday, April 8, 2003 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Very well, show me a traditionally-finished absinthe under 68% that tastes as well as one at 45%.
Markus Lion (Mclion)
le Duc

Post Number: 120
Posted on Tuesday, April 8, 2003 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just believe me - I've tested more than 80 different Absinthes and never found a stronger version of one, which was better than the lower version.
Markus Lion (Mclion)
le Duc

Post Number: 119
Posted on Tuesday, April 8, 2003 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Do we speak about colour or taste?
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 434

Posted on Tuesday, April 8, 2003 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Do you deny the fact that natural coloring (if it's present at all) will deteriorate in absinthes under 68%?
Markus Lion (Mclion)
le Duc

Post Number: 118
Posted on Tuesday, April 8, 2003 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Definitly wrong! Strength has nothing to do with quality!
Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 895

Posted on Tuesday, April 8, 2003 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

From an historical perspective, the higher alcohol is more accurate, at least for the higher-quality absinthes. A higher-proof also allows for a greater herbal content, since the oils are more soluble in alcohol than water.

Keep in mind that most of the lower-proof absinthes (especially those coming from France and Germany) are deliberately watered down (and usually sweetened) in order to conform to legal restrictions.

This doesn't mean that higher-proof=better, or even that there aren't lower-proof absinthes that are very good, of course. But I suspect that the BEST absinthes are going to be higher-proof.
Brett Tyre (Brett)
le Duc
Username: Brett

Post Number: 129

Posted on Tuesday, April 8, 2003 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I find, however, that most of the better absinthes are either higher alcohol, or come in high proof versions, for example Emile 68, La Bleus, Emile Sapin, La Fee, Pernod, and from what I gather, most home brews. These seem to be the favourites.

Personally, alcohol content is of no concern to me. If its 140 proof, I drink less and the bottle lasts longer. Of my two favourite absinthes, one (Francois Guy) is only 90 proof.
Markus Lion (Mclion)
le Duc

Post Number: 117
Posted on Tuesday, April 8, 2003 - 6:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

PV, I think you generally have to compare comparable sorts. e.g. Deva 50 & Deva 70, or Emile 45 & Emile 68, or Mari Mayans 50 & Mari Mayans 70 to get the difference. You can't compare Deva and Segarra!

I made the experience, that 68% Absinthe doesn't taste better than 45%. I don't drink Absinthe because of the alcohol, but the taste...

Markus
Elitist Bastard

Post Number: 428

Posted on Monday, April 7, 2003 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just an example of how these rules apply:

Most of us would say Un Emile 68 is better than Segarra (45%), though they are both distilled
absinthes and worth trying.

But Segarra is definitely better than Deva 70.
Bob (I_b_puffin)
le Vicomte
Username: I_b_puffin

Post Number: 87
Posted on Monday, April 7, 2003 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I also prefer the higher alcohol versions. Besides the reasons already mentioned, higher version are more authentic to original absinthe. Someone has already mentioned it was important for coloration, but I also think it was important since the oils that provides its flavor are not water solubule and higher alcohol versions can hold proportionally more flavor.
Loner (Loner)
Mousquetaire
Username: Loner

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, April 7, 2003 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Or vodka, or wine, make a cocktail. Actually you would want the higher alcohol content for such chemistry experiments.
Darrin, Stalker of Head (Traineraz)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Traineraz

Post Number: 887
Posted on Monday, April 7, 2003 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

One can always add more water when diluting one's absinthe if the alcohol content is too high.
He who would sacrifice liberty for security deserves neither.
Z (Zman7)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Zman7

Post Number: 227
Posted on Monday, April 7, 2003 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just remember with the lower alcohol absinthes, you're paying for that water! When absinthe comes off the still, you're looking at about 80-85% AbV. Then the manufacturers water it down to get whatever their desired alcohol content is. The idea behind lower alcohol absinthes are about money, not quality. Of course for oil mix absinthes, who cares?
Imperial Order of Absinthe
Markus Lion (Mclion)
le Duc

Post Number: 116
Posted on Monday, April 7, 2003 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Forget about high alc. In my eyes this has nothing to do with quality. 45% is just fine!
Moonman's friend (Wolfgang)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Wolfgang

Post Number: 901
Posted on Monday, April 7, 2003 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

High alcohol is necessary to hold the natural coloration. Most commercial absinthes use artificial color so the high alcohol is not so important.

Stuart Hemphill (Mishima)
Paysan
Username: Mishima

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, April 7, 2003 - 6:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi everyone! I'm new here, but I've been drinking absinthe for about a year now. Unfortunately I haven't tried a wide variety of absinthes yet. My question is, do you prefer absinthe with a higher alcohol content (say 70%) versus a lower content (like 45%)? Personally I tend to like the moderate to lower alcohol levels, as I don't drink absinthe to get plastered.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page