Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through April 17, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » The Monkey Hole » Fun in the LoucheLounge... » Archive through April 17, 2003 « Previous Next »

Kallisti (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 968

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

There was a point just after Moulin Rouge was released, before my webhost company upped my bandwidth and I went and reduced the filesize of thousands of files, when I was paying over $100 a month.

I get upwards of about 100,000 file hits a day (that's not visitors) so I think it sez something that I'm still able to only pay $40 a month for service. But I've just registered a bunch of domains, so that is going to add the yearly expense.

So, it can happen. But I host all my own software. It's different when you're paying a flat fee for hosted software. That's one of the reasons I haven't done chat before. Unless you outsource it's a bugger on that bandwidth.

But I'm looking into hosted chat solutions since some of the refugees got used to it over at louchelounge. will probably have something similar, if not the same software from a different reseller. will try before I buy as it's $75 a year. But I'll need complete user control before I plunk it down.
“A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere.” - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
Refugee (Sheepprofessor)
Paysan
Username: Sheepprofessor

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

(My membership has finally been approved. Yippee! I hope I last longer here than at either of my last two homes, The Absinthe Buyer's Guide and the Louch Lounge).

In. Re. Kallisti's observation (one more kick at the rotting carcass):

Yeah, it occurred to me a couple of times during my brief sojourn at the Louche Lounge that sonoman seemed awfully fixated on 'paying the bills.' He was collecting 'sponsors' (proudly displayed at the top of the page), who were presumably giving him something for the advertising space, and kept on selling stuff off, claiming that he needed to raise money to keep the site running. 2 + 2 = ?

And when has operating a website ever cost so much money? Even with chat, you're not looking at enough moeny to bankrupt a person. Unless, of course, you use that website to screw people, who then want to sue you.
The Red Pidgeon (Icarus)
le Vicomte
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Matt, why is your hand on my ass?
Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 920

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

Sorry, I need a really embarresed emoticon. I did not mean anything that way but I messed up.

It's not an uncommon mistake, especially on the Internet. There are a lot of folks (usually ones who don't know many gay people) for whom "gay" or "fag" is just a sysnonym for "stupid" or "annoying", with no understanding of how it might be unkind to use it that way. Eminem's famous defense, you may recall, was that he didn't hate gay people, he just used "fag" as a way of insulting straight people. He just doesn't get it.

Like wise, there are a lot of (especially older, southern) white people who were raised to think that "nigger" was just a word for black people, without understanding the subjegation implicit in its use.

It isn't a question of some words being "bad" or "wrong". It's a question of understanding what these words are likely to communicate. If you use "fag" as an insult, you are likely to make people thing that you believe being gay is something bad, whether you intended to or not.

OK, now, group hug!
Kallisti (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 967

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

also, something that might have occured to you all ...

if sonoman was just getting rid of opie's overstock, how come his last list included 5 bottles of LDF la blanche?

either he's selling his freebies (which were probably meant for raffles or personal consumption) or he's still buying stock and using the lounge as platform to keep selling, just not as optimalsmarts who had such a dismal public relationship with both customer's and vendors.

Hosting for IPS boards ran about $10-$15 a month (more for chat I would suppose) ...

just in that first day of listing he sold 8 or 9 bottles which he claimed he made no profit on considering the cost of the board. He'd have to be selling those bottles for pennies to make that true.

and he's had several of these "yard sales", no?

just beating a dead horse, I guess.

“A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere.” - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

Kallisti (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 966

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

here's a blushing frog for you.

a frog for every occasion! do you guys doubt me???

mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Vicomte
Username: Mattm3

Post Number: 92

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry, I need a really embarresed emoticon. I did not mean anything that way but I messed up
The (Celticgent)
le Vicomte
Username: Celticgent

Post Number: 65

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 7:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

no, just a misguided soul. just remember that using homosexual slurs is just as bad as using racial slurs.
In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Vicomte

Post Number: 86

Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

oh shit I'm a pariah
mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Vicomte

Post Number: 84

Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

not me
Spoon Boy (Absinthespoon)
le Duc
Username: Absinthespoon

Post Number: 262

Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Don't assume that homophobia is ok here.
balzdeep (Swarez)
Mousquetaire
Username: Swarez

Post Number: 9

Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If I might say so in a british accent,
"Fine job, Sir Smuttey! You've really
outdone yourself this evening!"

Encore!Encore!Encore!

Hell, at least I can lick myself...
mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Vicomte

Post Number: 76

Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quick go check the damage before it is deleted
ENORMUS DICK (Louched_liver)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Louched_liver

Post Number: 1420

Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

He's finally found the perfect lecturn from which to espouse his shining pearls.
Where once I was lost, I now come back to pee.
mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Vicomte

Post Number: 67

Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Public Apology to any homosexuals that I may have offended by calling lars a fag. I am sorry. He is a lower than whale shit, puss-nutted, pencil dicked DWEB!!!!!!
mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Vicomte

Post Number: 66

Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's kind of pathetic Lars Booger is the only poster on there now. Someone said lars is really opie in drag! Thanks for fucking up a fun thing Sonopiebooger!
Crosby (Crosby)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Crosby

Post Number: 417

Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

""FAG" doesnt fly with the good Doctor. Pleased to keep it to lesser intellect forums."

The deafening roar of silence at the High Brow Lounge.
C'est ma santé
Crosby (Crosby)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Crosby

Post Number: 416

Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm waving the little one because I don't care enough to send the best.
C'est ma santé
The Red Pidgeon (Icarus)
le Vicomte

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm a bit tired, can I just wave one finger?
Kallisti (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 958

Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Everyone wave at Lars! He's reading!

The Red Pidgeon (Icarus)
le Vicomte

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'd rather stub it out in the ashtray... then throw it away like the useless trash it is.

The new, and considerably more boring Lars_Lounge is in full swing. Can I get a *Yawn*?
Kallisti (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 956

Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

smoke it.

The Red Pidgeon (Icarus)
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

lars is a cigarette?
mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Vicomte

Post Number: 63

Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 7:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, I dont mind homosexuals( I love lesbians!!! )but lars is just a FAG!
The (Celticgent)
le Vicomte
Username: Celticgent

Post Number: 62

Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 6:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Matt, you had homosexual hall monitors in high school?
In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page