Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through April 17, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Mari Mayans » Archive through April 17, 2003 « Previous Next »

The Red Pidgeon (Icarus)
le Vicomte
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 75

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You can do the Ulex update.

"Yup, still tastes like Piss from a drunk in PA".
mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Duc
Username: Mattm3

Post Number: 113

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

We need to update the reviews.
Karl (Raschied)
le Duc
Username: Raschied

Post Number: 289

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Is this your review, Artemis, or is this from someone else?

[taken from buyer's guide]

[ARTEMIS]

Mari Mayans Collectors Edition - Peridot green, deeper than Deva but not so much you'd know the difference if they weren't side by side. The Mayans seems to have a shimmer the Deva doesn't have. The mildest smelling of the three, which is surprising, considering its higher alcohol content. Aroma mostly anise with wormwood evident. The louche has to be seen to be believed. At first, the drops of water cut through the absinthe like bullets, leaving trails, but with no lasting effect on the green color. At some point, a drop creates a seed of milky white at the bottom of the glass, but the green quickly swallows it. Gradually, this milky white seed gets bigger and bigger with each drop, wins the battle against the green. It's much more opaque than the other three in the tasting, which are watery by comparison. The flavor is much like that of Deva, only sharper, which can be attributed to the higher alcohol. I would have said previously that Mayans and Deva were much different in flavor, but side by side, the difference is not flagrant. This absinthe is also sweet enough to enjoy without sugar, and there is nothing nasty in it which sugar is needed to hide.

Rock over London, Rock on Chicago.
Pontiac - We build Excitement.
The Red Pidgeon (Icarus)
le Vicomte

Post Number: 74

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Q- Do you think, not having had the "good" brown ale described as wonderfull, that if it were your first taste of beer, you would have described it as "good".

Was it not the years of choking down american swill, that allowed you to appreciate the finer qualities of a good ale?
mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Duc

Post Number: 112

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Words to live by. My first beer was warm Genny
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 723

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"The first time you had a beer what was it?"

The dregs of a bottle of "Regal" an adult had tossed aside. Having read Robin Hood, and the wonderful descriptions of brown ale, etc. I knew it couldn't be the same thing. It would be many years before I encountered actual brown ale and had my suspicions confirmed. Along the way, although I learned to choke down the mass-produced American beer that was available to me, I would have been lying if I said it tasted anything like good. But I'm as happy as I can be I started out with Regal, that cheap, nasty swill, and happy that there is at least some brown ale in the world that is everything that was described in the stories.

With Deva and Mari Mayans, it's not just a question of anise and whatever, but flaws in a misguided manufacturing process that can be TASTED. It's somewhat like having a burnt hamburger. Discussion of the origin of the meat is beside the point ...
Quelle vie ont eue nos grands-parents
Entre l'absinthe et les grands-messes... ?

mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Duc

Post Number: 111

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

UMMMM, Guiness, IPA, I need some beer!!!
mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Duc

Post Number: 110

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Smutttttty,
Me slapped down? For what. I used understatement. Try it. Please! Try it. No, really. Try. Just a few times. Dial it back, kid. Playah! Chiznill it.

Tryin LL, but it is so hard to do! Only kidding about the slap down on you, not me though
The Red Pidgeon (Icarus)
le Vicomte

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The first time you had a beer what was it? Did you start out drinking Guiness, or Genny Cream?
Imagine being 10 again (or 3 in LL's case). What type of beer would you have said was best. Something light and not intense, or a really flavorful IPA?

Well there is an easy solution to this. We need some good absinthe, some mediocre, and some crappy oil mix. Then we need some newbies...
ENORMUS DICK (Louched_liver)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Louched_liver

Post Number: 1440

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Not if you get some schoolin' 1st. And not necessarily on your palate.
Plus, I can't imagine tasting MM or Deva and not thinking the more topperer shelf shit is better if you've learned how to dose and water properly.

And not just chug it back 'til ya spew. That helps a bit.
Where once I was lost, I now come back to pee.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1439

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

And, eh-hem, my whole suggestion, way back in this thread, was to just jump ahead and get the good shit. It's possible now, if you listen to places like this, w/folks w/something to say (not me), to do this.
The Red Pidgeon (Icarus)
le Vicomte

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You may have saved money, but the learning is important.

By skipping all those crappy absinthes you will miss out on the progression.

In all honesty many people may not appreciate a good commercial or even HG if it's their first time. In a blind taste test I'll bet there are a lot of newbies that would pick MM or Deva.

Sweetness and anise vs- depth and flavour.

Much like wine. Who starts out on the best wine? Most go through the ripple-boones farm- Gallo- stage.

This board will help the uninitiated make an informed decision. But even if they buy a LB or AbsAuth HG as their first, most will go back to try the oil mixes.

Absinthevolution
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1438

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Smutttttty,
Me slapped down? For what. I used understatement. Try it. Please! Try it. No, really. Try. Just a few times. Dial it back, kid. Playah! Chiznill it.
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 722

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I suggest spending several (or many) years tasting"

There it is. I made assertions about Mari Mayans similar to those of Redgloam on this board some years back. My universe of experience with regard to absinthe at the time was woefully inadequate to support my conclusions. You live and you learn.

mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Duc

Post Number: 108

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

There are so many scam artists and a lot of overpriced crap on the market today. We are so lucky to have the input of people who have tried the other stuff first and are trying to steer us on the right path. I would have saved thousands of dollars if I just listened.
The Red Pidgeon (Icarus)
le Vicomte

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I always defer to the man with a well developed palate.

If one feels that MM is a good absinthe,and wishes to argue that point. I suggest spending several (or many) years tasting every other commercial, then some vintage, some bootleg, then a lot of HG... Come back and tell me you still think MM is a good absinthe. IF you manage to say it with a straight face I'll poke you in the eye and say, "Hey Moe...knyuck, knyuck, knyuck"!
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 721

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Stupid" may have been too harsh a word for the post by Karl.

The Harley vs. (fill in the blank) motorcycle "debate" is as stupid as the "I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hubcap than drive a Ford" "debate" that used to be so popular on shithouse walls at construction sites. I say used to because I haven't been in one for a while; no doubt the great debate continues along with the Harley/Riceburner White Man/Black Man stupidity.

Calling people here snobs who know and point out the difference between second rate absinthe and good absinthe may not be stupid, but it's wrong and it's insulting.

Mari Mayans has a way to go to be second rate, even if it is absinthe (i.e., contains wormwood, which I'm not convinced it does). That is not just my opinion, that's a fact. I know how good absinthe is made. Mari Mayans is not made even remotely that way. Because it is not made that way, it is not POSSIBLE for it to be good absinthe. If you like it, you like it, but don't come around here saying it's good absinthe, or better than Emile (that is a colossal joke), or calling people snobs because they try and point this out, because you're going to get called on it by people who know better.

mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Duc

Post Number: 105

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Slakes a goofball. LL that's the mildest insult I ever heard from ya. It sounds like you got slapped down like me! Wowsers
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 1436

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Slake's a goofball.
mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Vicomte

Post Number: 99

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Slake has no class. Shit now I'll have lars and Slake on my case!!!
Refugee (Sheepprofessor)
Paysan
Username: Sheepprofessor

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

'World class?' Third-world-class, maybe.
Crosby (Crosby)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Crosby

Post Number: 424

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's ironic that Slake just posted his endorsement of Mari Mayans today. Spelling aside.

Slake_2g
Advanced Member
Username: Slake_2g

Post Number: 238
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 12:36 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mary is heavy on the anise but still one of the the world class absinthes.
C'est ma santé
Refugee (Sheepprofessor)
Paysan
Username: Sheepprofessor

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

And it makes you appreciate the good stuff all the more, whenever you finally get to it.
Z (Zman7)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Zman7

Post Number: 248
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Besides, newbies need to be skewered. It's a rite of passage. Kinda like getting into a fraternity or sorority.
Imperial Order of Absinthe
Z (Zman7)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Zman7

Post Number: 247
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

This forum isn't populated with absinthe snobs. It has a high degree of persons knowledgeable in the realm of absinthe. Sometimes,especially if you have been here a long time, when you share what you know,it appears to be "snobbery." If a newbie would just take the time to actually read the FAQs, most of the questions they want answered are already there. If you want to see absinthe stupidity in action, go to Winston's site. There, with the exception of one or three individuals, absinthe stupidity abounds (read Slake_2g's posts for a real good laugh). It is absinthe sites like his that promote untruths and errors in the absinthe community.
And welcome to the fray Redgloam.
Imperial Order of Absinthe

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page