Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Why "Which Absinthe Brand?" is Virtua...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Why "Which Absinthe Brand?" is Virtually Moot « Previous Next »

Jake (Narcoleptic)
Paysan
Username: Narcoleptic

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2003 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'd love to give Logan fils my own taste test... if they weren't trying to pass it off for $200 a bottle. When it comes down to the world's best Czech absinthe or one bottle of Un Emile La Blanche and two of Patron silver, I have to go with the latter.
mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Duc
Username: Mattm3

Post Number: 161

Posted on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Only Logan Fils Original, with a very slow drip and 2 domino dots. Yummy, and the effects are secound to none
Goth Girls Rule!!!
MH (Amindwalker)
Paysan
Username: Amindwalker

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Mattm3,
I too am a fan of Logan Fils. Since my last post on that subject (a few months ago), they seem to have added some new products such as Logan Fils Commercial(which I have not tried). Which product do you drink?
Moonman's friend (Wolfgang)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Wolfgang

Post Number: 906
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

According to Bedel in his 1899 treatise, Swiss absinthes are made without adding more alcohol after the distillation. Those are distilled, colored and just slightly diluted with water.

The other ones ( cathegory #2 ? ) are made by distilling some alcohol with the herbs and then by mixing this ''concentrate'' with more alcohol + water.

Bedel also talk about the oil mix but who cares...

I believe most HGers are following the Swiss absinthe path and do not mix what they distill with more neutral alcohol.

Now why does it take more time and effort to make a Swiss absinthe ? The answer is obvious : you have to distill all the alcohol that ends up in the final product.

Is that what Artemis was talking about ?
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 745

Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 5:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Also, I've not been consistent when slamming products by calling them "absinthe" (with the quotation marks). I've done this for two reasons:

1. If it doesn't seem to me there's any wormwood in it, or I've been told there isn't by people I trust, I give it the "absinthe", because no wormwood means no absinthe - this is never in dispute.

2. If it's just not very good, I might call it "absinthe" just to show it doesn't measure up to the drink that made the myth. This is too subjective and I should probably stop doing that. If it's got wormwood in it, I suppose you can call it absinthe no matter how bad it is.
Quelle vie ont eue nos grands-parents
Entre l'absinthe et les grands-messes... ?

Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 744

Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 5:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"But I should think Segarra, as a distilled absinthe, would fall somewhere in category #2"

Agreed. I forgot all about Segarra. There may be others, but they are few and far between.

"If the new Emile68 gets a #2 fine rating, then what category would you guys say the older vintage absinthes fall into? Im talking about stuff like pre/post banned Pernod, Terminus, etc."

The difference between a fine absinthe and a Swiss absinthe is as I said, the way it was made. It takes more work and more care to make a Swiss absinthe. Pernod was definitely Swiss absinthe. The other leading brands, I don't know. If they claimed to be, they probably were, as they had nothing to gain by lying to consumers who could afford the best products. You can taste and feel the difference in your mouth.

"Can I add your "What is Absinthe" to the FAQ? Very well put ... "

It might need a reality check and some tweaking. Maybe Ted could help. I would appreciate constructive criticism from people knowledgable in this area, as those are of course only my opinions - I don't run a test lab for this stuff.

"Also, Ted has always been fair in his reviews, more than I could have been most of the times."

Can't argue with that. At this point, it wouldn't bother me if he rewrote them all. Maybe the old reviews could be kept in a museum of how we learned to taste absinthe. Also, if you're going to buy commercial products, his price/quality ratio is as good a way as any of sorting them out. High price and lofty claims deserve close scrutiny. Conversely, in the absence of either, you can pretty much assume there is no bragging because there's nothing to brag about.

Turd Ferguson (Turdferguson)
Mousquetaire
Username: Turdferguson

Post Number: 21

Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Forgive me for saying this but I say any absinthe that gives me good thujone effects and doesn't tast like shit is okay with me.
Baba Booey! Baba Booey! Baba Booey! Baba B-
Kallisti (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 985

Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Artemis. can I add your "What is Absinthe" to the FAQ? Very well put ...

I can discuss minor alterations with you privately.

Also, Ted has always been fair in his reviews, more than I could have been most of the times.

“A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere.” - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
MC Pee Pants (Fluffy_g)
Mousquetaire
Username: Fluffy_g

Post Number: 15

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If the new Emile68 gets a #2 fine rating, then what category would you guys say the older vintage absinthes fall into? Im talking about stuff like pre/post banned Pernod, Terminus, etc.
T. A. Breaux (Tabreaux)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Tabreaux

Post Number: 100
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I tend to judge any commercial absinthe largely against the claims of its respective maker/distributor, and its price/quality ratio. Lofty claims and/or higher price = greater scrutiny. By adopting this point of view, the maker/distributor himself sets the standard(s) by which the product can be fairly judged.

For example, Mari Mayans is what I consider to be a middle-of-the-road commercial product. The claims of its maker/distributor with respect to its contents, awards, yada yada, et al, attempt to lead one to believe that said product is indeed the epitome of 'absinthe'. When judged against these claims, Mari Mayans is a disappointment. It is however a relatively inexpensive product.

I'm too tired to give a proper review of the Logan Fils, which tastes to me like a middle-of-the-road 'HG'. This brings up a good point in that just because a product is claimed to be made like a 'quality product', in no way does this guarantee anything with respect to taste, refinement, or 'vintage-like' qualities (as many so often claim). In the case of L.F., this is mostly academic IMO, as such a lofty pricetag largely excludes it from being considered as a viable consumer option regardless.
Pervert Euchre (Perruche_verte)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Perruche_verte

Post Number: 446

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Great discussion.

But I should think Segarra, as a distilled absinthe, would fall somewhere in category #2, unless it's disqualified by having no fennel.
"Drink accomplished what God did not." --Marguerite Duras
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 740

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I made that post because the Mari Mayans thread left a bitter taste in my mouth (no pun intended).

I never intend to explain again how third-rate absinthe X stacks up against third-rate absinthes Y, Z, and Q, much less against a first rate absinthe. I also wanted to illustrate that I am not a snob. It's disheartening to gradually come to the realization I posted! It means never again can I post a joyful review of Mari Mayans, nor almost any other absinthe.

With regard to Logan, I'm willing to consider the possibility it originates in category 2. My assertion was based upon not only on what I've sampled, which is certainly nowhere near everything in the world, but upon what I've been told by other people who know what they're talking about, and among us all, we've tried just about everything there is to try.

With regard to what Don Walsh allegedly said to Brett, I know for a fact that Don Walsh is aware of the methodology involved in Product Category Number 1, and was, for some time, well versed in it and putting it into play in products that were intended some day to go commercial. You have to consider his position in light of those facts. The implications are obvious.

Karl, thank you. Probably I should have posted this instead of all the crap I did in that other thread.

mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Duc

Post Number: 136

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you are interested I will send you some. We will drink on the grave of opieman.
Goth Girls Rule!!!
mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Duc

Post Number: 135

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Where did you think it goes?
Goth Girls Rule!!!
Crosby (Crosby)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Crosby

Post Number: 446

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That would kill his whole unemployment check.
C'est ma santé
ENORMUS DICK (Louched_liver)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Louched_liver

Post Number: 1453

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Then buy me some.
Where once I was lost, I now come back to pee.
mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Duc

Post Number: 133

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You have to try Logan Fils, If it was from France everyone would love it. Petr takes a lot of care and pride in this product. Try it, you will like it. If not for the taste, for the effects.
Goth Girls Rule!!!
Heathen Beaner (Emmy)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Emmy

Post Number: 90

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

yah i've come across those czech-heads too. it's strange having an argument with them because i can't imagine anyone thinking of that stuff as absinthe, let alone standing by it over french, swiss, spanish etc. i've come across two such people so far, both in real life, not on the forum. and it was just bizarre. and they were totally hardcore about it too... being told simply that i had no idea what i was talking about after trying to explain the modern fabrication of the whole flaming spoon ritual and the difference between distilled and mixed products and what ingredients went into an "authentic" absinthe...

all about paradigms and perspectives eh. so yah, sadly these days if it says "absinthe" on the label then well it's absinthe to someone hehe
Karl (Raschied)
le Duc
Username: Raschied

Post Number: 293

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Good post Artemis!
Rock over London, Rock on Chicago.
Pontiac - We build Excitement.
Brett Tyre (Brett)
le Duc
Username: Brett

Post Number: 134

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Artemis, awhile ago I tried posting the question "what is absinthe" in response to Don's assertation that Hill's and Jade can't be compared because they are completely different. Well, they can both be compared because they are both labelled absinthe.

Don, however, proceeded to e-mail me telling me I have no idea what I'm talking about, that I am not qualified to make judgements on a product I haven't tried (and yet he never attempted to prove the superiority of his product, he just made claims), and so on.

That, however is beside the point. I think you answer this question very will, and really you prove my point that I tried to make years ago. Hill's is absinthe, and so is Emile. However, Hill's is a very low quality, poorly made absinthe. Emile is the opposite.

And I've encountered people who resolutely deny that French absinthe is closer to true absinthe. To them, anything Czech is the why it should be and anything tasting like anis is really just sambuca.

Yeah, I'm sure this post had no point.
mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Duc

Post Number: 129

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Logan Fils belongs with the #2 stage. It is much maligned, injustly I may add, becuse it comes from the Czech Republic. It is still my favorite and I have tried everything.
Goth Girls Rule!!!
ENORMUS DICK (Louched_liver)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Louched_liver

Post Number: 1450

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Amen!!!
That's the that of that.
Where once I was lost, I now come back to pee.
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 739

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

What is absinthe?

Today, sadly, it's anything with "absinthe" on the label.

In France at the turn of the 20th Century, it was a different story.

Absinthe fell into three categories:

1. Swiss Absinthe

2. Distilled absinthes other than Swiss - these fell into the three sub-categories of Ordinary, Semi-fine, and Fine.

3. Absinthes made from essences. These were made by mixing essential oils into alcohol.

1. was recognized as being the very finest. Making it required a special methodology that goes above and beyond what is done to make 2. The difference is very obvious to the consumer.

Within 2., ordinary was made by collecting a small amount of high-proof distillate and cutting with a large amount of alcohol and water. Semi-fine, more distillate and less watering down. Fine, the highest amount of distillate and the least amount of watering down.

3. Involved no distillation at all. These products where the cheapest and the least highly regarded. The makers of 1. and 2. considered them trash, beneath contempt, and responsible for the bad rap absinthe was getting.

Now, of today's commercial "brands", which fall into category number 1?

NONE.

How many in category 2?

Exactly two that I know of: Francois Guy and Emile Pernot. From what I know of Pernot, it can be considered a "fine" absinthe. I don't know about Guy.

ALL of the remaining commercial absinthes in the world, as far as I know, fall into category 3.

Enough said.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page