Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through April 18, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Mari Mayans » Archive through April 18, 2003 « Previous Next »

Crosby (Crosby)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Crosby

Post Number: 439

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

And we don't even have to go in Dinky's conveyance.

C'est ma santé
ENORMUS DICK (Louched_liver)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Louched_liver

Post Number: 1446

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nyah, nyah!
I've got a bar a few blocks away w/over 40 beers on tap. And one is Lindeman's Kriek Lambic.
Crosby and I are are gonna dent their supply seriously.
Where once I was lost, I now come back to pee.
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 733

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"the mighty circus boy!"

Oh, you mean QUIDAM!! How clever.

But you're wrong, as usual.

Look it up in a French dictionary.
Quelle vie ont eue nos grands-parents
Entre l'absinthe et les grands-messes... ?

Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 732

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"want me to add that (sans allcaps) to your review?"

I used the caps as a quick way to make current comments stand apart from the original review. I don't think putting a patch on that review is the answer. All those old reviews are deficient in some way ... The thing people have to realize is that the reviewers were learning what absinthe was along the way - it can't be compared to beer or wine, where the tasters are already well familiar with what the basics of what the product is or is not supposed to be.

Karl (Raschied)
le Duc
Username: Raschied

Post Number: 292

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 7:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Around Christmastime, the local Sam's club offered a specialty box of Anheiser-Busch beers for sale. The born-on dates were fresh, so I bought a box. First exposure to Amber Bock. I also liked the Marzen, but haven't seen it since. there was also a honey brew, and an "all-malt" brew, and one other I can't remember.
Rock over London, Rock on Chicago.
Pontiac - We build Excitement.
Althea (Rosietwobears)
Mousquetaire
Username: Rosietwobears

Post Number: 44

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 7:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

Besides, newbies need to be skewered. It's a rite of passage. Kinda like getting into a fraternity or sorority.

indeed! as i learned early on. new folk should bury their personal opinions deeply when they come in conflict with the wisdom of the mighty circus boy! (see below)

quote:

Take your sarcasm and stick it in your Dutch oven. Some fled from the U.S., Eurowelfare-sucking fake American Indian name weeniette is the last person who has any right to lecture any U.S. citizen on any thing whatsoever. The crap you post is right out of the Lisa Simpson handbook of half-truthful, reliant on pseudo-science, pie in the sky liberal BULLSHIT

as for absinthe im still in the evolution period where i think Deva 70 is pretty tasty as well as Serpis and La Fee seems to be a high point. these days will pass when i have more cash for my hobbies and habits!

i really used to hate beer. i still do hate most pilsner/blond types but ive developed a liking for irish stout and belgian high yeild yeast in the bottle brews. my first beer was probably a sip of daddy's lowenbrau. bleh
Absinthe maketh the heart grow fonder
Crosby (Crosby)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Crosby

Post Number: 433

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Faustus" was marketed in the bay area about ten years back. I tried it and wasn't impressed. From what I remember, it had a peculiar aftertaste and was only marginally less watery than American style Lagers.
C'est ma santé
Kallisti (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 979

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

also Redgloam, do not let the debate deter you.

It's awesome to be able to get recommendations from those of us who've tried everything under the sun, but vary your shopping basket a little. In the very least its educational ... and I still enjoy spiking my sprite with NS.
“A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere.” - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
Heathen Beaner (Emmy)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Emmy

Post Number: 84

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

yah there was quite a bit of publicity for them here in san francisco for a while, like whole page layouts in the papers and stuff... then it kinda petered out and i never saw them on the shelves. could be i just missed them. still find little blurbs on the web now and then, but nothing substantial.
Kallisti (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 978

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

want me to add that (sans allcaps) to your review? hehe

or the FAQ:

9) Please DO NOT bother Artemis about his old reviews in the Buyer's Guide.

“A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere.” - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 731

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was under the impression they had released those beers, Beaner. One of them was called "Faustus", it had a devil on the label. I never did see them - I assumed it was because it was a "limited market" thing, but maybe they never hit the market at all. I agree, I would have been eager to taste them as well.

Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 730

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh, and after I learned to recognize the actual smell of wormwood, I knew that I had not smelled it in MM. And neither have a lot of other people, which is why they doubt it's in there at all. And that is why it may not be legitimate to call it absinthe at all. Personally, I don't care, as I've moved on. And I move on now from this topic. For good. Drink indeed whateverthefuck you like.

Heathen Beaner (Emmy)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Emmy

Post Number: 83

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

those michelob specialty beers aren't bad. i had the wheat beer on tap a couple years ago and was impressed. it was crisp and clean and at the same time had a nice thick heartiness to it.

one of the things i wish would've seen fruition was back in like the early 90s, anheuser-busch was planning on re-releasing its various craft brews from the late 19th early 20th century. pre-prohibition ales, lagers, stouts all with recreations of their original labels and all. not sure what ever happened with that.
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 729

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Now let's break it down:

Mari Mayans Collectors Edition - Peridot green, deeper than Deva but not so much you'd know the difference if they weren't side by side.

ALL TRUE.

The Mayans seems to have a shimmer the Deva doesn't have. The mildest smelling of the three, which is surprising, considering its higher alcohol content.

ALL TRUE.

Aroma mostly anise with wormwood evident.

TRUE, except it's star anise, and what I thought was wormwood, wasn't. It's the funk of tails.

The louche has to be seen to be believed. At first, the drops of water cut through the absinthe like bullets, leaving trails, but with no lasting effect on the green color. At some point, a drop creates a seed of milky white at the bottom of the glass, but the green quickly swallows it. Gradually, this milky white seed gets bigger and bigger with each drop, wins the battle against the green. It's much more opaque than the other three in the tasting, which are watery by comparison. The flavor is much like that of Deva, only sharper, which can be attributed to the higher alcohol. I would have said previously that Mayans and Deva were much different in flavor, but side by side, the difference is not flagrant. This absinthe is also sweet enough to enjoy without sugar, and there is nothing nasty in it which sugar is needed to hide.

ALL TRUE, EXCEPT I WAS TOO IGNORANT TO KNOW THAT SIDE BY SIDE, DEVA AND MM ARE SIMILAR BECAUSE THEY'RE BOTH CRAPPY, OIL-MIXED FROM FUNKY OILS PRODUCTS. AND THERE *IS* NASTY IN IT. I WAS IGNORANT ENOUGH AT THE TIME TO THINK THAT WAS SOMETHING THAT HAD TO BE ENDURED IF ONE WAS GOING TO DRINK ABSINTHE. IT'S NOT. NASTY IS A RELATIVE THING. BUT THERE IS NO NASTY *WHATSOVER* IN FINE ABSINTHE, AND THE GULF IS VAST INDEED BETWEEN THE TWO. WHEN I WROTE THAT REVIEW, I WAS NOT YET A TRAVELER ACROSS THAT GULF.

The Red Pidgeon (Icarus)
le Vicomte
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 78

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've only tried the bottle, not draught. Could be a difference.

If I ever see it in a "clean" bar on tap, I'll give it a go just for you!

Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 728

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I had a mug of Amber Bock out of the tap in Idaho Falls, at a "Wingers" restaurant, and was floored by how good it was.

Don't know if I'd say the same today about another mug of that beer in another place.

The point about snobbery stands. If I like it, I'm not going to say later I don't like it because I was shown the label.

Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 727

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"but there are so many people here who speak as if they have the same experience as a medaled wine critic of 20 years"

That's your own perception, and apparently these people offend you. I won't speak for anybody else, but I don't speak "as if" anything. I tell the truth as I see it, and if I find out later I'm wrong, I admit it.

If you want to tell people to drink Mari Mayans and enjoy it, have at it.

If you want to try and make them think I'm putting on airs when I tell what I know about absinthe, you've got a tough row to hoe, because there are too many people here who know better.

The Red Pidgeon (Icarus)
le Vicomte
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 77

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I find M.A-Bock to be a very plain and thin beer with a dark color. It has a hint of good, but that's it.

Like an Oil Mix for beer. Some micro-brew essence and seltzer. Viola Mich amber bock.

I am a bit spoiled with the micro-brews around here.
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 726

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ted once proposed that the buyer's guide be revamped and he got a hostile response, particularly from Absintheur.

I wasn't too keen on it either, because everything seemed to be about Ted at the time and there was some pride of authorship involved among the few others than Ted who were in there, including me.

Today, in the interest of it being useful as a buyer's guide, I think the thing could use a complete overhaul. Maybe Peter or somebody who has access to extensive tasting notes on a whole lot of products could do such a thing - it's a formidable task.

Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 725

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Is this your review, Artemis, or is this from someone else?"

I'm way ahead of you. It was written years ago, before I had ever tasted real absinthe. What needs disavowing in it has been disavowed by me more than once on this board, with apologies for the errors committed due to my ignorance. And I admitted in a post just below that I once spoke more highly of the stuff.

Numerous people have pointed out a fishy quality to Emile in their reviews here. Whether those reviews made it into the buyer's guide, I can't say, but that's not my call.

"Michelob Amber Bock" - that's a decent beer in the bottle and a very good beer fresh on draft. Anybody who would claim not to like it because they read the label first is indeed a snob. I don't put down Mari Mayans because of what's on the label. I would know it if I was blindfolded.

Kallisti (Admin)
Madame Guillotine

Post Number: 976

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Artemis sez:

quote:

There it is. I made assertions about Mari Mayans similar to those of Redgloam on this board some years back. My universe of experience with regard to absinthe at the time was woefully inadequate to support my conclusions. You live and you learn.

That's what he was talking about. Arty has always been the first to admit the naivite of his early reviews. Remember, those were written in, um, 1998 or early 99? Soon after Spiritscorner.com was discovered. I've left the early reviews up. In some cases they're the only reviews we had. Ted did a bunch too, but I thought we'd leave the older reviews up to.

I've tried doing some of the reviews, but unless it's all well made and nummy all I want write is "tastes like anise" "tastes like anise" ... and how annoying is THAT!?!?!

k, someone volunteer to send me thoughtful well rounded reviews. c'mon ... especially for some of the ones without reviews at all, or that just have older reviews when Deva was the piece de resistance!

My first beer was Moosehead!

Karl (Raschied)
le Duc

Post Number: 291

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

BTW, My beer buddies were pleasantly enjoying a brew I picked out for them, commenting on the legs, the flavor, the texture. They thought I had picked up a new microbrew.

They were mortified when I showed them the bottles - Michelob Amber Bock.

It's funny how their opinions changed.

That's snobbery.

again, drinkwhatchalike.
Karl (Raschied)
le Duc

Post Number: 290

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Arty,

Maybe "snobs" wasn't polite, but there are so many people here who speak as if they have the same experience as a medaled wine critic of 20 years, and scoff immediately at anyone who enjoys a "lesser" product. Most people here have 5 years or less experience of absinthe tasting, and very few have tasted more than a handful of brands.

Part of the fun I had in discovering absinthe was looking at the reviews in the buyer's guide, and then sampling a little here and a little there. I was one of the first to order Emile, and then had to listen to the complaints of "fishy" that permeated the board in the first month or so. That opinion has since died down, and didn't make it into any of the reviews on the board.

Opinions change. Absinthes on this board have come in and out of favor.

Drinkwhatchalike.
lautrec (Mystical)
Mousquetaire
Username: Mystical

Post Number: 20

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

What about Slake piss secondaries?

You'll hear bad absinthe reviews in the 4th dimension and feel bad poetry that will help you get laid....
mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Duc
Username: Mattm3

Post Number: 115

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

But I love Loucie piss, great secoundairies!!!

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page