Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through April 19, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Newbie drinkers » Archive through April 19, 2003 « Previous Next »

Lordhobgoblin (Lordhobgoblin)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Lordhobgoblin

Post Number: 751

Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Artemis,

TV is full of tossers who enthuse on and on about food ingredients. Food is for eating not for enthusing on and on about. When you watch a TV food show you want ideas on how to cook good food so you can try it out yourself, you don't watch it to see some idiot having an orgasm over something he probably hasn't even tasted yet and even if he has tasted it a simple "that tastes great" will suffice.

That's why I really liked Keith Floyd's shows because (like the 2 Fat Ladies) he cooked in order to eat and enjoy the food and if he liked the taste of it that was all that mattered.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 750

Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Rosie,

You can see how Gregg Wallace really gets on the nerves of most of his guest chefs, about a month ago an American lady was the guest chef and at one stage it looked like she was about to hit him or walk off. He's always dropping in chessy comments about the meals his mum or nan used to make, part of his attempt to come across as a plain down-to-earth Londoner from a simple background, (he most probably grew up in a mansion in leafy Berkshire and went to Eton).

Fair enough, Antony Worrell Thompson does cook good hearty, traditionally British, dishes and for that he deserves respect.

Another chef who I like is Rick Stein, he's really big into fish. I'd love to visit his seafood restaurant in Padstow, Cornwall.
Althea (Rosietwobears)
Mousquetaire
Username: Rosietwobears

Post Number: 48

Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

heh... yeah paul rankin is one smooth chef, id forgotten about him. i guess i like anthony worrel because he uses lots and lots of cream and butter (mmm, fat!) and isnt afraid to make good old fashioned grub like beef wellington or cottage pie without finding a way to ponce it up and modernise it into a fusion dish.

and i agree on the BBC1 sunday morning show. that git goes on and on and never makes a dish himself. hes just there for the running commentary.
Absinthe maketh the heart grow fonder
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 746

Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 5:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"the chef puts a pinch of salt into the soup and he's off over-the-top enthusing about how this will really bring out the flavour etc."

Hell, the people on the tasting panel on the Iron Chef practically have orgasms during their running commentary when one chef or another throws some unusual or even perfectly usual ingredient into the pot. If you can believe the English translation, that is.

"You mean it's SOY SAUCE!! Right in with the APPLE SAUCE!! AHHHHHHHHHHH SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!"
Quelle vie ont eue nos grands-parents
Entre l'absinthe et les grands-messes... ?

mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Duc
Username: Mattm3

Post Number: 142

Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 5:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

What about the Naked Chef.
Goth Girls Rule!!!
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 749

Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Keith Floyd (on the right) knocks spots off the today's squeaky clean, media friendly TV chefs.

Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 748

Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh Jesus Rosie, not Antony Worrell Thompson, his squeaky, camp, little voice is just so grating on the ears. He's a pompous little fart. On the other hand Paul Rankin, the Irish chef, who often appears with Antony Worrell Thompson on Reday Steady Cook, has a bit of style about him.

Another extremely annoying one is the totally bald/shaved-headed, slightly chubby, wannabe-chef with a broad London accent (Gregg Wallace) who hosts a cookery show where he has various chefs in his kitchen (I think his show is on BBC1 on Sundays). He knows very little about cooking and his over-the-top enthusiasm for anything any of his guest chefs do is so irritating, eg. the chef puts a pinch of salt into the soup and he's off over-the-top enthusing about how this will really bring out the flavour etc.

2LY!!! (2loucheltrec)
le Duc
Username: 2loucheltrec

Post Number: 252

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

oh yeah, as promised some time ago, i'll be posting soon my absinthe bread pudding recipe... i experimented with it at work,my boss talked me into selling it and it sold much better than i expected, i of course had to call it pernod bread pudding though.
2LY!!! (2loucheltrec)
le Duc
Username: 2loucheltrec

Post Number: 251

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

bobby flay is a little bitch and needs to be pimp slapped right along with the wannabe emeril (step into my kitchen punk i'll run your ass through the grinder) and for that snot-nosed kid from oliver's twist(?) well we'll make sausage from him and use his bones for stock!!!!

now some one the tv chefs on my good side:
i too loved the 2 fat ladies and was saddened when one died, justin wilson was awesome too, when he passed i made a memorial for him in our kitchen and kept it for a month. wolfgang puck is also fairly high on my list as is julia,graham kerr and mario batalli.

and yes, iron chef rocks!!!!
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 741

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, Flay is an asshole all right. Normally he bothers me; I just enjoyed him upsetting the apple cart on that Japanese show. It was uncouth, to be sure.

I wasn't aware that Yan's accent was put-on, but then, so was Justin Wilson's ...

mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Duc
Username: Mattm3

Post Number: 132

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Iron Chef Rules!!! Emmy-san go kick thier ass!!!
Goth Girls Rule!!!
Spoon Boy (Absinthespoon)
le Duc
Username: Absinthespoon

Post Number: 266

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

Justin Wilson, the king of them all.

Word. That old dude was awesome. We still talk like him sometimes when cooking ("dredge it, dredge it", "hoooo-weeee!", "ya got yur on-yons", etc.)

quote:

looks like he hasn't washed his hair in months, and does everything in a frenzy like a hamster on speed.

That would be Jamie. I know, my British friend can't stand him either, but I think he's adorable.

As far as Yan goes, I really can't stand watching him. He doesn't speak with an accent except on his show, so he comes across as a deliberate racial stereotype to me.

ENORMUS DICK (Louched_liver)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Louched_liver

Post Number: 1451

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Flay acts like a dick.
Where once I was lost, I now come back to pee.
Althea (Rosietwobears)
Mousquetaire
Username: Rosietwobears

Post Number: 46

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

i dont know much about the american chefs and shows, but from ye olde BBC, im quite partial to Anthony Worrel Thompson.
Absinthe maketh the heart grow fonder
When is the free booze giveaway? (Celticgent)
le Vicomte
Username: Celticgent

Post Number: 72

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think Flay is an arrogant imbecile and thought what he did was tasteless. He didn't show what a great chef he was, he just perpetuated the whole
'Americans are loud, obnoxious vulgarians who like to shit on other cultures' attitude that the world has. Great.....Thanks Bobby...Way to go..Raise the Roof while you find out who let the dogs out.
In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
Heathen Beaner (Emmy)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Emmy

Post Number: 88

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

oh, god, the bobby flay incident lol...

i remember that all too vividly... i didn't see it until recently (foodtv wasn't available on regular cable in the bay area back then, only via those dish things)... but i was on an iron chef email listserv back when it first aired. the day after, there were a gazillion emails waiting for me of people all up in arms over it.

he's another one i can't bear to watch much of. his eating across america show or whatever it's called is enjoyable, but sometimes it seems he talks down to the locals sometimes. he's just too cocky for me. another style over substance choice for the network.
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 738

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"we've already gone these rounds in the past"

Yeah we did. It's a lot of fun. You know I'm not entirely serious about any of this ...

"but the dubbing job foodtv did makes their (the Japanese) responses seem sometimes ridiculously simple and unintelligent as you point out"

Conceded, when I talk about their remarks, I refer to the English dubs. I have no idea what they're REALLY saying, but then I like "Kung Faux" on one of the music channels, where they take old Hop&Chop films and dub in Rap music and "In Da Hood" style dialogue.

"i said "wtf is up with woopin it up over throwing fucking garlic in a pan?" not because i wanted an answer, but to point out the ridiculousness of it all"

Of course I know you didn't want an answer, but what I'm telling you is that it's not any different from any corny aspect of Iron Chef. Your mistake is in insisting that the Emeril show must be serious, or was intended to be serious. I very much doubt Emeril takes it that seriously ... as I said, if you go to the website and get the detailed recipes, you can do much of what he does - there's no way most people are going to bring that off JUST by watching the show alone ...

I very much enjoyed Yan as well. In fact, there was a recent Emeril show where he and Yan cooked together and aped the Iron Chef show - it was funny as hell.

As for the chefs on the Iron Chef, I never enjoyed it so much as when Bobby Flay, a mere Food TV back-bencher, went over there and kicked the Iron Chef's ass (by cooking, not physically), then jumped up on the table. The Japanese were mortified - it was like they were a picture of Saddam and had been whacked with the bottom of a shoe ...

Peace, Beaner - we're just having fun with this, it ain't the end of the world, but you know that.

Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 924

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

...wow...a heated argument on a subject about which I have neither an opinion nor a speck of relevant knowlege.

Heathen Beaner (Emmy)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Emmy

Post Number: 87

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

the difference:

i don't watch iron chef for the recipes
i don't watch emeril to be entertained

iron chef is not a cooking show. emeril's show is.

iron chef was a show in japan with a premise of "if you were some rich crazy with a food fetish and the world's finest chefs at your disposal, what would you do with your time?" that did well in japan, and became a cult phenomenon here in the states as it was rebroadcast over u.s. japanese tv networks. of course to pull it off, you need people who can actually cook. obviously the iron chefs (who in the show are the "best of" their genre) aren't the "best" in the world, but they are all accomplished chefs in japan. building on that, the producers were actually able to draw in other accomplished chefs to participate in the show (and later from other parts of asia and eventually the world as the show's popularity grew), and in japan the popularity of iron chef was a great way to boost business if you did well.

foodTV saw the following the show had, and capitalized on that, capturing a whole new batch of viewers most of who probably wouldn't watch the channel otherwise. i watch the foodtv version because there isn't any other. i used to watch iron chef on nihon tv here in the bay area when they rebroadcast each season. those shows were subtitled, and subbed well. sometimes they were simply broadcast in japanese with no subs. the foodtv dubs are alright, but nothing special, and certainly don't take the physical and subtextual linguistics into context when translating. they just do it verbatim. certainly, the judges they have on the panels aren't the experts you'd expect if this were a serious competition, but the dubbing job foodtv did makes their responses seem sometimes ridiculously simple and unintelligent as you point out.

the "entertainment" of emeril's show may be the bread n butter of the food network, but that's neither here nor there. i said "wtf is up with woopin it up over throwing fucking garlic in a pan?" not because i wanted an answer, but to point out the ridiculousness of it all. it's akin to throwing on laugh tracks on a sitcom. it's a dumbing down of the process. something i don't feel belongs in a "serious" cooking show. i'm not saying a cooking show can't be entertaining. i used to love the old yan can cook for just that. the old shows where he had an audience, particularly the ones where he worked with alcohol because he'd always end up tipsy (one time, he dumped a can of bud into a stir fry he was doing)... but that kind of entertainment is something i appreciate when it's spontaneous and honest. with emeril, his cooking is, the entertainment isn't.

anyway. these are my opinions. and we've already gone these rounds in the past. cheers!
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 737

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Emril has idiots in his audience."

Jesus Christ had idiots in his audience.

As for Emeril's YAT (Noo Awlins) accent - the yat (from the standard NOLA greeting "Where y'at?") accent is remarkably similar to Brooklyn accents and some others. Emeril is from Fall River, Massachusetts. I know Cajuns who moved to Georgia years ago and now sound like Georgia crackers - it's a normal thing, it's not necessarily affectation.

Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 736

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I wonder how it taste and what brand would you use?"

Herbsaint is probably as close to what was originally used as you're going to come.

Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 735

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"on live show turn off the gd audience!"

That's like telling Anheuser-Busch to start selling iced tea. It's not going to happen. The current Emeril show is the third incarnation. The first two had no audience "participation". The first of all was a flop, the second was only moderately successful. Food TV took a chance with the current format, and people immediately started lining up around the block to get in. It was from the start, and it remains years later, a tremendous hit and it is the flagship of the whole network. In other words, Emeril is the rock upon which Food TV network is built. All of the above was revealed in a recent TV biography of Emeril - the executives at the network, who spoke about it in that show, know full well what they've got, and they're not about to mess with it.

In the same biography, Ella Brennan (grand dame of New Orleans restaurant-owning Brennan family) admitted that when she hired Emeril at Commander's Palace, she wasn't as impressed with his resume as with his personality. People like him. HE is the star of that show, not the food. With that said, he all the same rose to the head chef position at Commander's Palace. That ought to be nuff said to the morons who think he can't cook.

I have used numerous of Emeril's recipes (just go to the Food TV web site and get them) and they work EXACTLY as advertised.

"wtf is up with woopin it up over throwing fucking garlic in a pan?"

There is a producer walking around in the audience encouraging that type of thing because that's how the show works. That's how the show works because they know that's what brought it the ratings it gets. You might as well analyze Ronald McDonald's makeup.

You want to critique a "cooking" show for usefulness? Let's take the Iron Chef.

Some fey looking weirdo with a bad Elvis haircut and a Prince wardrobe compulsion sneaks out of the shadows and takes a big uncouth bite out of a frigging bell pepper. He then pulls a tarp off a pile of offal that ought to be on its way to the landfill to feed the seagulls and rats, and dares two cooks to make something fit for human consumption out of it.

A panel of "experts" will judge the efforts of the cooks. This panel consists of:

A Japanese actor nobody outside of Japan ever heard of
A Japanese baseball player or manager, ditto
A Japanese actress, ditto. Her most intelligent comment will be a halting "it feels so good, ......... in my mouth ... " with much expansive gesticulation toward that orifice with her arms, just in case anybody should mistakenly infer she has placed one of those slimy eels or whatever into some other hole.
Lastly, some cranky old bitch who is never introduced as being on the panel at the start of the show, but always sneaks in somehow in time for the tasting - probably she is Elvis/Prince's mother in law and just cadges a free meal this way. When they do explain her, they say she is a "fortune teller"!

Now, I enjoy all this as well as anybody, but for anybody who praises that show to criticize Emeril's show because it includes elements of (DUH!) entertainment ........

I also loved the Fat Ladies. One guy I can't watch on Food TV is the young British man who cooks in a kitchen the size of a broom closet, looks like he hasn't washed his hair in months, and does everything in a frenzy like a hamster on speed.

Then there was Justin Wilson, the king of them all. Rest in peace, Justin, I garontee.

Bd (Thesubletter)
Mousquetaire
Username: Thesubletter

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yesterday Emril made Oyster Rockafeller, He used Herbasaint. But failed to say anything about the original Recipe containg Absinthe. I wonder how it taste and what brand would you use?
Bd (Thesubletter)
Mousquetaire
Username: Thesubletter

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I like good eats a lot. I love shows that i can learn from. Emril has idiots in his audience. He is another John Goodman. {some one who moves to New orleans and suddenly begins speaking and acting like thats where they are from}
Anyone remember Justin Wilson?
"put a lil mo wine in there."- Justin Wilson cajun chef.
John Folse is okay too.
Any cajun cooks here besides me? I slang gumbo by the pint like crack.
ENORMUS DICK (Louched_liver)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Louched_liver

Post Number: 1445

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I like the sound of this Keith Floyd.

And hey! What about Good Eats? Clever, funny, informative.

And CG, I did see that one where the drunk mentor clocked the guy. Vastly entertaining.
Where once I was lost, I now come back to pee.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page