Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through April 21, 2003

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » OK I will try again » Archive through April 21, 2003 « Previous Next »

Nabber86 (Nabber86)
Mousquetaire
Username: Nabber86

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 6:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The fact that some, but not all, of the oils from the herbs are removed during the distillation. In particular, you get rid of the nastier-tasting things, like absinthins, and leave in the good parts.

=========
OK, that I can understand that. But arent additional fresh herbs steeped or soaked after distillation to make the final product. Doesnt this put in what was just removed?
ENORMUS DICK (Louched_liver)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Louched_liver

Post Number: 1458

Posted on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 4:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Anyone?
Where once I was lost, I now come back to pee.
The Red Pidgeon (Icarus)
le Vicomte
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 95

Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A member named "nabber" asking about the illegal disitillation of an illegal liquor... hmmm. Bueller?
Jack Collins (_blackjack_)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: _blackjack_

Post Number: 936

Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

What am I missing here?

The fact that some, but not all, of the oils from the herbs are removed during the distillation. In particular, you get rid of the nastier-tasting things, like absinthins, and leave in the good parts.
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 935

Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

quote:

There's no loophole, the law bans both distilling and re-distilling.

Oh, I didn't doubt that. I was just trying to figure out WHY.

Probably the same way that marijuana can have no medical uses because its illegal, and be illegal because it has no medical uses...
mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Duc
Username: Mattm3

Post Number: 158

Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

This is a buyers forum, not a moonshiners forum you Fed!!!
Goth Girls Rule!!!
mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Duc

Post Number: 157

Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dont ask here, just buy!!!
Goth Girls Rule!!!
Nabber86 (Nabber86)
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

So from what I am finding out, Commercial Absinthe (the real stuff), is made from a re-distilled mixture of herbs soaked in high proof alcohol.

In a "clean" comercial distillation, very little (if anything) is going to be carried over into the final product. Unless the commercial maker runs too long and the tails proceed to be collected. (Some of the discriptions of commercially available Absinthe that I have read here comment on a "stinky tails flavor").

So you are stuck with either a very "clean" tasting product with litle herbal carry over, or a stinky product that has more herbal "stuff" in it.

Here is what I dont understand - If the finer commercial Absinths are cleaner tasting, there is little herb stuff carried over. Then they soak more fresh herbs in the re-distilled mixture.

If the cleanest alcohol you can get is 100 percent nuetral spirits (grain alcohol). Doesnt this come full circle get us back to soaking herbs in grain alcohol to make bootleg Absinthe??

What am I missing here?
Pervert Euchre (Perruche_verte)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Perruche_verte

Post Number: 451

Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Perhaps they fear that someone will try to sell the results of their re-distillation and claim that they're exempt from paying taxes on it, on the grounds already mentioned.

"Drink accomplished what God did not." --Marguerite Duras
Dr. O (Dr_ordinaire)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Dr_ordinaire

Post Number: 457
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Jack, some time ago I actually read the law, since I had the same question that you do.

There's no loophole, the law bans both distilling and re-distilling.

Sorry I can't tell you the number of the actual Federal statute involved, I found it somewhere in the Web.
mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Duc

Post Number: 155

Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Time to move to New Zealand. The land of the free.
Goth Girls Rule!!!
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 933

Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A guy can dream...
Bob (I_b_puffin)
le Vicomte
Username: I_b_puffin

Post Number: 95
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

When has rationality and logic had anything to do with law and government policy?
Absinthe Mafia

Post Number: 931

Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

What I've always found curious, from a legal standpoint is this: the rationalle behind prohibiting unlicensed distillation is to keep people from making alcohol without paying the appropriate taxes. That is why, after all, the ATF is part of the Treasury department.

But in the case of making absinthe, you are just RE-distilling alcohol for which you have ALREADY paid the taxes. Now, I know full well that this doesn't make it legal, but how is this different from, say, using liquor in cooking? The process is the same: you're boiling alcohol that you've paid taxes on. It's just with distillation, you're keeping the vapors. Why should the government concern itself with what you do with alcohol once they've gotten their cut?

Maybe one of the ATF agents who are monitoring us can clairify this for me...
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 748

Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's as serious as a heart attack, as far as I'm concerned. I might have been trying to be sarcastic, but not funny.

"Anyway, plant extracts versus essential oils?"

A vast amount of information on those subjects is freely available on the World Wide Web - more of it than anybody on this board knows, I'm pretty sure. Very rarely does it get discussed here precisely because so few people here know much about it. I know I don't.

"It seems that number 3 can be made by anyone with a bottle of grain alcohol and some wormwood extract."

That's a gross simplification. It's almost a cinch that such a concoction would be undrinkable, and possibly lethal.

"No. 2 MAY be found (if you are lucky) from overseas sources."

There are a handful of distilled absinthes available from various sources outside the U.S.

"And No. 1 is the Holy Grail."

It's the best absinthe, I'll leave it at that. Pointing to history as I did has no purpose other than to educate consumers so that they'll want the best. Sooner or later, supply arises to meet demand.
Quelle vie ont eue nos grands-parents
Entre l'absinthe et les grands-messes... ?

2LY!!! (2loucheltrec)
le Duc
Username: 2loucheltrec

Post Number: 255

Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I thought somebody was trying to be funny"

i was in no way joking about it, who in their right mind wants the ATF knocking down their door with MP5's , not me. your comments just set off my narc-o-meter.
mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Duc

Post Number: 147

Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Not only is home distillation illegal, it is downright dangerous. It is also unnessesary, there are so many brands on the market and you don't have to blow youself up! If you have to, move to New Zealand were it is legal.(and send me a sample )
Goth Girls Rule!!!
Nabber86 (Nabber86)
Paysan

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"The ATF is no joke, Sir."

I hear you loud and clear on that.

It was references to SWIM making 'shine and the "ATF anyone?" comment that I thought somebody was trying to be funny. If it is no joke. Then let's not joke and get on with talking about green extractions of herbacious materials that we love so well.
Kallisti (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 991

Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The ATF is no joke here, Sir.

I posted the following announcement:

../8219/6882.html"119911">A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere. - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
Nabber86 (Nabber86)
Paysan

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

As regard to what SWIM is doing with the information? Let's not jump to any conclusions here. Nobody is making anything. As for joking about the ATF, I would hazard to guess that most people on this forum walk the gray area between what is legal and what could get you in real trouble, at least ocassionally. So let's not throw stones.

It's just a question on a search for knowledge and enlightenment. Isnt that what the dabbling in subjects such as Absinthe all about anyway, or have you all forgotten that?

Anyway, plant extracts versus essential oils? I am kind of stuck on that one. Seems it is a good subject to talk about regarding Absinthe.

Artemis - I liked your analysis of the 3 types of Absinthe that I found in the archives. It seems that number 3 can be made by anyone with a bottle of grain alcohol and some wormwood extract. But I gather, that isnt what it is all about is it? No. 2 MAY be found (if you are lucky) from overseas sources. And No. 1 is the Holy Grail. Maybe others are searching for No. 1 also. And it might actually be obtainable given proper knowledge (and licenses and bonding).
mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Duc

Post Number: 141

Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 5:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nabber, there is tons of info on the web, do an overture search.
Goth Girls Rule!!!
Kallisti (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 986

Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The subject is not *entirely* verbotten, but no technical discussion is allowed. This is for the protection of the members of this board.

I just ask that you use common sense. If the question oversteps bounds, myself or someone else is sure to tell you.

Otherwise ... welcome!
A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere. - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
2LY!!! (2loucheltrec)
le Duc
Username: 2loucheltrec

Post Number: 254

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"or you're making ... god forbid, moonshine"

ATF anyone?

no thanks, none for me.
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 743

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Since I have maybe stepped on a few toes here"

You didn't bother me in the least, but I know the rules and I know what people are and are not willing to talk about here. If I hadn't told you about those things, someone else would have.

"Does anyone have any ideas on the boiling points for various essential oils? Specifically, wormwood, penny royal, calumus, ansise, ect."

Those aren't essential oils, but plants. The plants contain various essential oils. The chemical properties, including boiling points, of probably all known essential oils, are listed in a reference document known to all chemists. I'm not a chemist, and I forget the fame of it (Merck Index?). I don't know if it's on the WWW. The information it contains is duplicated to some extent on various web pages all over the place.

But if I may say so, that's a whole different question from the one you posted at first about cuts and feints, etc. Either you're making essential oils, or you're making ... god forbid, moonshine.
Quelle vie ont eue nos grands-parents
Entre l'absinthe et les grands-messes... ?

P Eibergall (Nabber86)
Paysan

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Since I have maybe stepped on a few toes here allow me to elaborate further.

I understand we cant talk about the "D" word from an alcohol perspective.

So let's keep it simple then - Does anyone have any ideas on the boiling points for various essential oils? Specifically, wormwood, penny royal, calumus, ansise, ect.

Before you flame on, please remember that I am not asking a technical question about "D" of ETOH. Just simple physical charateristics of completely naturally ocurring ingredients. Surely that type of info is out there on the net somewhere.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page