Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

First Time Taste

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » First Time Taste « Previous Next »

Green Meanie (Greenmeanie)
le Duc
Username: Greenmeanie

Post Number: 293
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nabber,

The colder the water when SLOWLY dripping, the better the louche.
Ober-Gruppen Fuhrer
mattm3 (Mattm3)
le Duc
Username: Mattm3

Post Number: 172

Posted on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ka-Ching!!!

(the sound of all the abinthe drinkers money going to his new hobby)
}}}
Goth Girls Rule!!!
2LY!!! (2loucheltrec)
le Duc
Username: 2loucheltrec

Post Number: 266

Posted on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

POP
(the sound of an absinthe cherry being broken)
Nabber86 (Nabber86)
Mousquetaire
Username: Nabber86

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

OK, I tried the drip thing and did get a better louche. Pretty cool.

I also noticed the floral notes upon dilution.
Pervert Euchre (Perruche_verte)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Perruche_verte

Post Number: 456

Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2003 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You should try a couple of the better oil-mixed products (La Fee, Larsand, maybe Serpis 68) as well as the other distilled absinthes (LdF's other products, F. Guy, and Segarra), so you'll get a sense of the range of what's available.

Thanks for the great description. That's why I'll never get tired of reading first-time stories.
"Drink accomplished what God did not." --Marguerite Duras
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
le Duc
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 145

Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2003 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Absinthe Authentique (and most HG'ers) specify a 4:1 ratio with 1 cube of sugar per oz. of absinthe... Slow drip and following instructions makes a world of difference.
J. the magic man (Themagicman)
Mousquetaire
Username: Themagicman

Post Number: 38
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2003 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

also like ENORMUS DICK (Louched_liver) said about dripping the water slow this will give you a much better Louche. about 3 to 1 for me sometimes 4 to 1

"Louche - Didnt notice much green color that all. It got cloudy, but didnt turn anywhere near the neon-green color that you see in the background of all the absinthe websites.

and thats because it is Not crap, no artificial crap like you see in most of the stuff on the Front Page of web sites the more artificial color and the more star anis the deeper and better "yeah right" the Louche. and sugar, yes please I'll take one lump please

J.
The Red Pigeon (Icarus)
le Duc
Username: Icarus

Post Number: 140

Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2003 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Make...and sell "legally" to the public, are two different animals
Quidam (Artemis)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Artemis

Post Number: 756

Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2003 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Sugar cube? What's up with that?"

It changes the flavor profile, sometimes in a profound way. It's not about sweetness.

"Oh, and I guess one other thing - IMHO, a person with the appropriate "knowledge" could easily make a reasonable facsmile of this product within a couple of months."

Right. That's why there are so many products like it (none, the last time I counted) on the market.
Quelle vie ont eue nos grands-parents
Entre l'absinthe et les grands-messes... ?

ENORMUS DICK (Louched_liver)
Absinthe Mafia
Username: Louched_liver

Post Number: 1508

Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2003 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Napper,
With any distilled absinthe you really should drip the water in as slowly as you can. Makes a world of difference.
Where once I was lost, I now come back to pee.
Moonman's friend (Wolfgang)
Elitist Bastard
Username: Wolfgang

Post Number: 909
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2003 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The proper knowledge is not that obvious.

Once you know how to do it, it's like making bread. It's simple to follow a bread recipe... But how comes only a few bakers are able to make truly excellent bread ? ...

Once you'r talking about distilled absinthes, it's the little details that makes the difference.

Now I would sugest you to try the Emile Blanche next time. IMO it's their best product.
Nabber86 (Nabber86)
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2003 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh, and I guess one other thing - IMHO, a person with the appropriate "knowledge" could easily make a reasonable facsmile of this product within a couple of months. (OK, maybe not reasonable, but you could choke it down!). Given a fews years practice? Piece of cake!
Barsnake (Barsnake)
le Duc
Username: Barsnake

Post Number: 178
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2003 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

yo - nabber...way to go. just jump in with both feet. glad you enjoyed...good review - a refreshing look back at something we all wish we could have over again.
and the beat goes on...
Kallisti (Admin)
Madame Guillotine
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1010

Posted on Friday, April 25, 2003 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You're lucky you started with Emile ... it's been a long road for many of us.

As wonderful as a fine distilled absinthe is on it's own, adding both water and sugar brings out certain floral properties that you might not otherwise notice. Try it with water and w/o, with sugar and w/o etc.

This is the fun part. This is where you become an absinthe geek.
A lady who has a secure seat is never prettier than when in the saddle, and she who cannot make her conquest there, may despair of the power of her charms elsewhere. - THE MANNERS THAT WIN, 1880

http://www.feeverte.net
Nabber86 (Nabber86)
Mousquetaire

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2003 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just received my first bottle of Un Emile 68 today. Got home from being out of town most of the week and found the bottle sitting on the doorstep. How cool, it's been a long week, I guess I will have to stash the bottle of Duvel that I bought on the way home in the fridge for later...

Anyway, here are a first timer's first impressions:

Wow, really smooth. Even at full strength (took a very tiny taste straight). I dont understand why anyone would want to dilute it 3 to 4 times with water. I put a small shot into a tiny glass, added a single ice cube, swirlled it around for a few moments, and then sipped. Maybe in the end it was a 2:1 dillution.

Sugar cube? What's up with that? This stuff is already kinda sweet from the anise and/or fennel. I couldnt see adding any sugar at all. Absolutely no bitterness whatsoever. Nothing like the wormwwod infused vodka method.

Oh well, some much for serving it up in the traditional manner.

Louche - Didnt notice much green color that all. It got cloudy, but didnt turn anywhere near the neon-green color that you see in the background of all the absinthe websites.

Secondary affects - OK, my throat was a little parched from traveling and slightly sore from spring allergies. The "medicinal" qualities really made my throat fell better. I dont want to call it cough medicine, but it really helped my throat. Other than that (I just downed a second small shot with an ice cube in it), I THINK I feel something. Not quite drunkeness - more alert than that. Kind of nice, but then agin, maybe it is all the reading that I have beed doing about absinthe.

That's all for now. Probaly wont try any more tonite.

Thanks for all the info!! You guys rule.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page