Wormwood beer?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Old Topics Archived Thru Sep 2000:Wormwood beer?
By eric on Sunday, June 25, 2000 - 09:20 am: Edit

here's a recipe for mugwort ale that I found in all about beer magazine. you could try substitiuting wormwood for the mugwort.

1 pound brown sugar
1 gallon water
1 to 2 ounces dried mugwort(artemisia vulgaris)
danstar dried windsor yeast

boil sugar, water and herb for 30 minutes. cool to 70 degrees f, strain into fermenter, and add yeast(follow directions on package). ferment until complete, approximately one to two weeks. siphon into bottles primed with 1/2 teaspoon sugar and cap. ready to drink in 10 days to two weeks.

By SeaRobin on Sunday, June 25, 2000 - 08:46 am: Edit

If you have access to Belgian yeast by all means use it. Needless to say, some of the best yeast strains in the world come from that region.

If your Honey ale is really close to a meade, you should get a very interesting finished product to say the least. Depending on how you make your meade, you may wind up with a brew that starts off very sweet, turns to licorice, and then finishes bitter. Interesting concoction.

By br0therben on Sunday, June 25, 2000 - 05:56 am: Edit

I was thinking of using either one of those nice "Belgian" yeasts (liquid, of course, the kind used in white beers)or a wine yeast. I make a honey ale (closer to a meade than an ale)and I use the Belgian yeast with hollentauer hops; the result is quite inoffensive for the less-than subtle sweetness. Anyway, I might get away with the anise using a small amount of hollentauer...good call.

Ben

By SeaRobin on Sunday, June 25, 2000 - 12:46 am: Edit

brotherben,

Now we’re in my area of expertise. Beer !!!
There is no reason why you cannot introduce the
same herbs, including wormwood, into the
brewing process for beer. About the only place I
can see you having a problem is combining anise
and hops. Although it sounds to me as if they
will not blend well together, I have been
surprised before. I think you will do best to try
and take a generic beer such as a honey ale and
add the anise and wormwood to that base beer.

Try using a “Saaz” or a “Hallertauer” hops and
you should be in good shape as these are fairly
light hops which should blend well with the
other ingredients. Also, I would also
recommend pitching a liquid, British ale yeast as
this will not over power the anise.

If you brew this up, please keep me posted on
how it going.

SeaRobin

By br0therben on Saturday, June 24, 2000 - 01:47 pm: Edit

I have considered getting back into homebrewing and I wonder if a wormwood brew could be developed. It's interesting that nearly all the essential herbs of Absinthe have been used in various brews.... I just don't know how well anise would come out in a brew; on the other hand, I am sure I saw a wormwood brew recipe SOMEWHERE out there...

Ben

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation