Ice Wine

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Feb 2001:Ice Wine
By Martin on Monday, February 26, 2001 - 04:37 pm: Edit

I dug up the bottle and checked; it was indeed a Piesporter Michelsberg Mosel-Saar-Ruwer Reisling-Trocken. Made by a guy named Jean Marx and it has a picture of Schloss Cochem on the label. Very nice.

-Martin

By Petermarc on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 12:54 am: Edit

i never knocked the wines from alsace, i just don't think they are as good as comparable german wines, especially the late harvest, dessert wines. i have never had a vendage tardive from alsace that could beat a german late harvest...and the prices are very high except in the region...german TBAs and BAs are expensive, but in comparision to french counterparts, they are worth it...

By Brspiritus on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 03:46 pm: Edit

Quote: "Donaudampfschiffahrtskapitänswitwenrentenbesteuerungsgrundlagenzahlungsüberschuss."

Ummm something about a widow of a Captain in the Danube Shipping Company?

I love Rieslings, but Eiswein is the tops... If you happen to be lucky enough to be able to purchase a Beerenauslese Riesling it's better than Eiswein. Don't knock Alsatian wines, Gewurtztraminier can have a wonderful spicy/sweet taste to it. Of course the Alsatian vintners wrote the book "All I ever needed to know about winemaking I learned from Germany". Must have come from being occupied by Germany before the 1st World War.

By Petermarc on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 01:52 pm: Edit

for my tastes, it's always a mosel-saar-ruwer (region and name of three rivers) riesling...

By Martin on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 12:07 pm: Edit

I bought a Riesling once at a small winery in the Mosel valley (I think that's where it was? I know it wasn't the Rhine). It was very crisp and dry, and I've never had another that could even touch it.

-Martin

By Heiko on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 10:53 am: Edit

Oink:
I don't know exactly what they're talking about either, even I'm German and supposed to understand the words, but I'm not an expert on wine.
- But I can build other funny compound words like:
Donaudampfschiffahrtskapitänswitwenrentenbesteuerungsgrundlagenzahlungsüberschuss.
Don't ask me what that means, but the syntax is correct.
Whatever, everybody has the need to post something unnecessary from time to time.
Mucho loco, mucho drunko, but no effecto from the Absenta (politico correcto for the foro).

By Oink on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 10:23 am: Edit

Hmmm...I see, German riesling eiswein or trockenbeerenauseblahblah...whatever you call it. Muchos gracias!

By Petermarc on Sunday, February 18, 2001 - 02:08 pm: Edit

oh, and if i had a choice of having only french whites or german, i would take the german...

By Petermarc on Sunday, February 18, 2001 - 02:06 pm: Edit

i am american, not french and lived in san francisco (god, i miss good zins)...the french collectively know very little about wine, especially if it was made outside of their own region, let alone their country...but, they are beginning to try, and that is a start...just look at how many mcdonalds
(the largest restaurant and purchaser of french beef in france)there are...
hey, czech absinthe sucks, but the real budweiser
(budvar) beer is great (better than pilsner urquel, in my opinion) but only in-country... also there is a old brew pub in prague called
'u fleku' that makes a spectacular black/brown beer the slides like silk...

By Artemis on Sunday, February 18, 2001 - 12:13 pm: Edit

I like German wine, but I like German beer even better!

Especially Paulaner.

By Heiko on Sunday, February 18, 2001 - 12:09 pm: Edit

Peter:
I never expected you to appreciate German wine - I mean almost nobody does, but someone from France, the cradle of superiour wine itself?
But it's a joy to see people tearing down the walls of old stereotypes! ;-)

By Heiko on Sunday, February 18, 2001 - 12:01 pm: Edit

I had some Eiswein with my parents on christmas eve and we all agreed that this is not what you would usually call wine - it's a desert wine. It is so sweet, you cannot have more than a small glass of it (even me, and I like sugar very much!), yet as a desert wine, it is very good.

By Lordhobgoblin on Sunday, February 18, 2001 - 07:51 am: Edit

German labels are definitely very confusing, the French system is much easier to understand. Thanks, I will try some trocken Rieslings, the Rheinhessen does produce some good wines, the best Niersteiners are made from Riesling.

By Petermarc on Sunday, February 18, 2001 - 05:18 am: Edit

try some (rieslings) which are designated 'trocken'(but not trockenbeerenauslese) they are actually quite dry. german wines are not as popular as they should be becuase the labels are very confusing (but pretty)...too bad, they are better than most french (alsacian) wines from across the border...

By Lordhobgoblin on Sunday, February 18, 2001 - 04:34 am: Edit

Not being a fan of German wines I do however love Eiswein, chilled down as cold as possible. With the exception of Niersteiners its the only German wine I care for.

By Petermarc on Sunday, February 18, 2001 - 03:42 am: Edit

ice wine in canada has become the best type of wine made there (lots of cold helps)and the prices
are reasonable compared to other famous dessert wines...in germany, the quality of the eiswein depends on if the grapes were super-ripe (or affected by 'noble rot'--a mold that takes all the water out of the grape and leaves a shriveled sweet raisin) when they were frozen; 'beerenauslese'(very ripe usually noble-rot) and trockenbeerenauslese(super ripe/dry/noble rot) can be better than eiswein if the eiswein grapes were the victims of an early frost...bonny doon vineyards in california makes a 'vin de glacière' which is as good or better than many eisweins but randall grahm sticks his grapes in a freezer!

By Anatomist1 on Saturday, February 17, 2001 - 10:32 pm: Edit

Oh, you mean Eiswein? I went on a wine tasting trip with a guy named Eric the Red in Germany once. They gave us a crash course in german wine terminology and categorization. Eiswein is the top rung... they get sweeter and later in the harvest as they get more expensive and rare. Personally, I like my wines drier, so I'd probably rather have something just this side of Blue Nun. Qualitatswein mit Predikat, but not too much Predikat.

K.

By Tabreaux on Saturday, February 17, 2001 - 10:09 pm: Edit

Ice Wine - Good stuff. A nice dessert wine. The grapes are not harvested until after the first frost (assuming the birds don't get them first). Not cheap, but good.

By Grimbergen on Saturday, February 17, 2001 - 07:36 pm: Edit

go to http://www.tastings.com/search_wine.lasso
and search for "ice". It will give you a list of ice wines and their ratings.

By Oink on Saturday, February 17, 2001 - 07:25 pm: Edit

Since I live in Canada my friend from abroad wanted me to send him some ice wines. I've never posted here before but has always been secretly lurking in the background and it's weird how my first post would not be about beloved Absinthe but ice wines...heh. Well anyway, any insight you guys have on ice wines would help me a great deal, thanx!^_^

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation