Different kinds of Deva?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Feb 2001:Different kinds of Deva?
By Don_Walsh on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 03:56 am: Edit

Tavis,

Yes, you are right. Bruce Lee played Cato the Elder. Burt Kwouk played Cato the Younger opposite Peter Sellers.

"Poor Cato, the bermb of the lunatic Dreyfus blew his little yellow skin off." -- Chief Inspector Clouseau

By Lordhobgoblin on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 02:43 am: Edit

Heiko,

Don't be silly, of course you are allowed to have thoughts of your own, but so long as you can substantiate these thoughts with the appropriate references ;-)

I wonder if Kant, Nietsche and Plato were banned from having thoughts and ideas unless they could reference these thoughts and ideas to the thoughts and ideas of the 'experts' who went before them?

I suppose relying on the thoughts and ideas of prior 'experts' makes up for lack of imagination and innovation, and gives people an over-rated opinion of their own intellectual ability.

Hobgoblin

By Tavis on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 01:25 am: Edit

And there was me thinking Cato the Younger was going to co-star in the new Pink Panther film....

By Don_Walsh on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 01:19 am: Edit

Duh, I thought Cato the Younger was either:

a)A kung-fu chauffeur played by Bruce Lee in "The Green Hornet" tv series

or

b) A member of the (Cole) Younger Gang in Kansas.

By Rtlplus3 on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 11:12 am: Edit

The one thing that has not been brought up here is value. The value of anything is in the eyes of the buyer. I bought from Betty and Justin and paid there prices. It made little difference to me what their costs were as they had something I wanted. At the time I had no idea where to get La Bleue(and still don't). I have no regrets because I got the education and experience I was looking for. but the value of their products to me have gone down. So will I pay those prices again? I don't Know at this time. For right now I'm in a holding pattern waiting for the Jade product.

By Heiko on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 09:39 am: Edit

OK, I guess I took it too seriously, maybe because I am day by day confronted with pseudo-intellectuals at university who are not capable of having thoughts of their own but are walking dictionaries of impressive citations. These people won't believe you that the sky is blue unless you give them a bibliography of works by Hegel, Kant and Plato where they can read that the sky actually is blue.
Having thoughts of your own at university seems to be allowed only if you have a PhD and a big list of publications...

I am glad we are on the same side regarding this.

By Chrysippvs on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 07:58 am: Edit

but if you say somebody is talking nonsense, the fact that you can express this in Latin does not automatically prove you right!

Yes..but I was making a humorus reference to Cato the younger. Don probably got it.

Usually, when someone starts citing greek philosophers or oratores romanos in ancient Greek or Latin, it just means they have no more arguments and want to end the discussion by making fun of those who can't understand it.

nah we just traded mockery for mockery. Nothing personal (alteast I hope not).

This is in my opinion unfair, but unfortunately a bad habit in universitarian society.

Man...universitarian society. I wish I could have that. I had to teach myself what I know. Being lower middle class in this country makes it a pain to get any academic fervor. That and Mississippi is the lowest ranked school in education in the entire US, and the US is rather lower compared to many European nations.

Maybe one day I can go to town paw and get me some real learnin'..talk like 'em city boys get me some letters...perhaps one that comes with a certificate of authenticity.

By Heiko on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 06:55 am: Edit

About paying 200$+ for a bottle of Absinthe: I wouldn't do it, whether the Absinthe is actually "worth it", or not.
But, if Betty charges that much for LaBleue, I can understand this, because everything that is produced in the underground and illegally shipped to foreign countries will be extremely expensive compared to what it's actually worth - you can be glad if it reaches you in a good and unaltered condition. The thing is: everyone just has to see if he wants to pay a certain amount of money for it - I don't, as I also might have the chance of directly purchasing LaBleue in Switzerland, while all costs are still under 210$ - we'll see: if I do, I might ship you a bottle for 180$, anyone interested? ;-)
I wouldn't do it for less, because I could only purchase some small amounts of LaBleue, so every bottle I sold I couldn't drink myself - with every bottle above two I would risk to be forced to pay huge amounts of taxes at the border (and I might risk heavy trouble for not declaring large amounts of alchocol!). So, I would say I don't sell one of these bottles unless someone gives me an incredibly huge amount of money for it.

Justin,
sorry, but if you say somebody is talking nonsense, the fact that you can express this in Latin does not automatically prove you right!
Usually, when someone starts citing greek philosophers or oratores romanos in ancient Greek or Latin, it just means they have no more arguments and want to end the discussion by making fun of those who can't understand it. This is in my opinion unfair, but unfortunately a bad habit in universitarian society.

By Artemis on Wednesday, February 21, 2001 - 07:19 am: Edit

"As far as la bleue...I never liked F.'s product (which really isn't his, he pays someone to do the work), too much star anise and not much else. It was a refined mari mayans."

Marc kindly gifted me with some of his La Bleue - I don't know where he got it, but that description doesn't fit it. Not heavy on star anise at all. Not even remotely like Mari Mayans. Not a complex absinthe, true, but a clean, refreshing, tasty drink.

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 08:15 pm: Edit

"Based on the contradictions contained in your posts, you certainly are a member of that schizophrenic community."

I didn't notice, but I guess that is the nature of schizophrenia. Even if so, it has gotten to be a bore. Most of the history I was looking for I found and then some, so like I said time for me to close shop and find some new nook and/or cranny.

As far as la bleue...I never liked F.'s product (which really isn't his, he pays someone to do the work), too much star anise and not much else. It was a refined mari mayans...the middle-range of la bleue in quality. Not worth 80 bucks a bottle when oxygenee is practically the same price and much more well rounded.

Kevin,

You are a sweetie! We will have you goose- stepping in no time :)

By Marc on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 05:06 pm: Edit

"the absinthe community has to be the single most schizophrenic one out there."

justin,

Based on the contradictions contained in your posts, you certainly are a member of that schizophrenic community.

I discontinued buying Swiss absinthe, I have enough thankyou. But, when I was buying it, I was paying $80 a bottle. So, if you are willing to look around a bit, and able to purchase a 10 bottle minimum, there is cheaper La Bleue available.

Ted, I'll trade you dinner for two at Lutece in Las Vegas for a taste of your and Don's brew.

By Anatomist1 on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 04:46 pm: Edit

Wow! I can see now how horribly wrong and impertinent I was. Are those words in ... (gasp) a language I don't understand? I hereby humbly concede your plenary and magnificent mastery of all things linguistic. I can see now why it is beneath your dignity to waste your time proofreading a post even once, much less to trifle with legibility in the first place... seeing as it is merely fodder for us common pea-brains. I should learn my place, and abandon the delusion that I and the other rabble around here deserve to be graced with such common courtesies. Please forgive me, oh wondrous god.

K.

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 01:58 pm: Edit

et sciasne quid? De te fabula narrantur...

By Anatomist1 on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 01:52 pm: Edit

"see there is this thing call a sentence. And there is another thing call context and completion."

yea! me sentence understanded real good;

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 01:36 pm: Edit

Justin, not to get into a battle of spelling and grammar, but you might want to take your own advice.

Ok....

Regardless of what you meant exactly, you are guilty of the same things as the rest of these people who charge way too much for cheap absinthe.

The absinthe I have produced there isn't cheap..and with shipping insurance, and what he charges me for the bottle I can tell you that I pay more per bottle than Betty....

Actually those labels were designed by a friend of mine and printed en masse before I had the chance to look over them....I have a new one designed but won't get around to using it because I am closing in the next few months (not sure when however) as for funny, not really, since you are correct in a sense...

But that is one reason why I am getting away from the "absinthe community" it has gotten a bit far-fetched for my tastes. BEI has just about paid for the majority of my translation, tuition, and private oddessy of working with some rare mansucripts...so I need to retire to a real academic life and absinthe has little or no part with that...

By Cheese on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 01:25 pm: Edit

Justin, not to get into a battle of spelling and grammar, but you might want to take your own advice.

Regardless of what you meant exactly, you are guilty of the same things as the rest of these people who charge way too much for cheap absinthe. You try to dispel the myths of thujone, yet clearly marked on your bottles of La Bleue is the thujone content. Kinda funny, don't ya think?

Josh

By Germanandy on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 12:34 pm: Edit

today i received two small bottles from ted, and people i can tell you it is worth "any" price!!!
it has been reviewed a many times so there is nothing left to say for me, only it tastes great.

regards

andy

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 12:34 pm: Edit

see there is this thing called a sentence. And there is another thing called context and completion.

Here is what I said:

"And what is also funny to me are the people that will pay 200 bucks for a 30 dollar bottle of absinthe (which only costs around 10 bucks a bottle to make, if that) and call it a mystical experience. "

The construct is of me laughing at people who do so for mystical experience. I have paid well over 200 dollars for a half filled mignonette around 15cl if not less) of vintage absinthe....

Feel free to criticize what I write...but just make sure you read what I say write first. kay :)

By Cheese on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 12:11 pm: Edit

Justin, so you find it funny that people would pay $200 for a bottle of $30 absinthe? So you must have really been laughing your ass off at everyone who bought your La Bleue. Good to know that you can rip people off and laugh at them too. You're a swell guy, buddy.

How come Wiz took such a beating, and you get by unscathed?

Josh

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 11:12 am: Edit

It is amazing how people are so devoted to absinthe (often for some warped sense of nostalgia), and when it finally emerges in it's original form people recoil due to the price.

Honestly if you don't like the price then drink Deva or Hills or some other inferior absinthe...it isn't the same ballpark.

I gladly pay high prices and go to great lengths to acquire fine absinthe from every nook and cranny of this planet. It is a rare spirit...I am not suprised that sheer rarity is not the arbiter of price, aside from the Herculean efforts put forth by the individuals involved.

Bottom line...don't be cheap in this field. And if you are drink Hill's or Deva and like it, but don't shoot Don or Ted down for doing what they are doing. This kind of quality is, even on a large scale it is still very handmade, very artisinal in nature and you have to pay for that. Quality is not cheap, and it won't be.

Of course I want absinthe to get out of the dusty corners of obscurity and the cocktail bars of some oh so trendy goths, yuppies, or liberal arts college kids. That isn't where a product like this needs to be. It needs to be in the hands of connoisseurs everywhere.

And what is also funny to me are the people that will pay 200 bucks for a 30 dollar bottle of absinthe (which only costs around 10 bucks a bottle to make, if that) and call it a mystical experience. What a joke. The Absinthe community has to be the single most schizophrenic one out there.....

just some thoughts..

- J

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 02:14 am: Edit

Breaux's Law prevents me from responding on pain of immolation.

By Aion on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 02:09 am: Edit

Don,
I only have problems with cheap products sold with
enormous mark ups.
And I have even more problems with product that are so miserable that they shouldn´t be allowed to exist any further, although sold for little money.
Never had problems to pay the price for products
worth their price.
So I keep on waiting (even if my stock dries out in the meantime) until the release of your product. No joke!
By the way, remembering your approximately production capacity posted here earlier(as far as I remember), aren´t you already swimming in absinthe?

A.

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 01:16 am: Edit

Hell no, Aion. For argument's sake only (don't kill me Ted!) $75 a bottle is a far cry from $200+ isn't it?

By Aion on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 11:00 pm: Edit

Don,

looks like there are quite a lot of people out there who want to pay too much. Strange!
Just hope that the prices for your products
will not reflect this kind of prodigality.

A.

By Bob_Chong on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 10:42 pm: Edit

And there goes the absinthe leaching your brain again, Don...

The louching leech leaches louches.

By Don_Walsh on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 09:46 pm: Edit

Heiko, you just haven't been here very long. We've been making fun of Betty (The Desert Leach as Bob Chong calls her) for a LONG time.

By Artemis on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 07:46 am: Edit

I'm not making fun of Betty. The little taste I've had of her La Bleue was fine. She's efficient and delivers what she offers. If not for her, I wouldn't have been able to taste La Fee at all. I'm just saying there are statements in her literature that she cannot back up, or at least has not backed up. There are others that have no foundation in science, at least not any that I've ever read. I'm not saying anything differently here than I've said to her. As to her prices, I couldn't care less. When I don't like somebody's price, I vote with my feet.

By Heiko on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 07:39 am: Edit

I thought everyone here recommends her, not only in the buyer's review - but now you all suddenly seem to make fun of her, well, you've got to admit she tells the truth, if I may quote her:

"My SWISS LA BLEUE IS THE SMOOTHEST, SILKIEST and PROBABLY THE MOST EXPENSIVE LA BLEUE of any Swiss absinthe you will find available..."

Well, I cannot comment on smooth and silky, but with "most expensive" she's definitely right!
*g*

By Artemis on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 07:26 am: Edit

Betty sent me a promotional pamphlet once that I found to be quite accurate in its description of "absinthe effects", and poetic to boot. The "information" it contained about thujone, etc. was, to put it politely, dubious.

By Don_Walsh on Sunday, February 18, 2001 - 11:43 pm: Edit

Yes, in that sense Betty's emails are very informative indeed.

As you are so close to the source if you wanted LB you could easily go to Neuchatel and make some friends, thereafter obtaining it for $30 (50 ChFr). It would probably help if you can speak French. They won't mind your accent. The Swiss, even francophone Swiss, all speak German too, they'd just prefer French in the Jura...

By Heiko on Sunday, February 18, 2001 - 07:22 pm: Edit

Don,
what I was trying to say was that if -as you also stated- thujone is not important for the effects, the measurement in the EU does not mean it prevents stronger Absinthe from being sold (because they only look for the thujone levels not to be over 10mg). So, it might be possible that the Absinthes which are of legal levels now are not the best ones possible - another one may be created which gives me a better/stronger feeling and still has no more than 10mg/kg.

Bob,
informative, hmm, the mail informed me about many things - that I am not the one who writes the longest mails, that I don't even have to consider to buy La Bleue from her, that everyone who must order Deva et al from her must have a lot of money. This only to be a wisecrack about the meaning of "informative" ;-)
You're talking about "spam" - I only asked her for La Bleue because some people here mentioned her as a reliable source of this Swiss product.
If I believed her, I wouldn't have asked ... nothing is true, everything's possible (btw she didn't say she had 'another' Deva, she just came up with the thujone-levels).
But now I know: One Deva, not two, not different, good!
The La Bleue, well, for 210 USD plus extra shipment cost at the current exchange rate: I rather pack my snowboard, drive to the swiss alps, take a hotelroom for a weekend, go boarding for two days, have a nice dinner in the evening, and when I'm back on Monday, I still have money left for a bottle of Deva (or even more) - this as one example how much exciting things I could do for that much money.
I might be crazy, but if it's about wasting money, I love to be very conservative ;-)

By Bob_Chong on Sunday, February 18, 2001 - 06:11 pm: Edit

Betina--"informative"? LOLOLOLOL!

Heiko: would you like to buy some beachfront property?

You'd make P. T. Barnum proud.

You get an email from someone thousands of miles away, telling you why you should buy "her" Deva for ten times the price you can buy yourself from Spiritscorner, and you believe her? LOL.

My advice: put her on your blocked senders list. Spam is spam, even if it is anise flavored.

BC

By Don_Walsh on Sunday, February 18, 2001 - 05:35 pm: Edit

Heiko, I don't think that Ted said that there is no reliable way of testing thujone level. There is. The problem is that not everyone bothers to do it and not everyone that does it, does it right, and a lot of people just talk out of their ass without testing at all.

I also dispute that a 'really skilled absintheur' would bother to make an absinthe 'strong', if by strong you mean high in thujone. This statement is simply wrong in some many ways on so many levels that I won't waste everyone's time dissecting it.

That thujone is the sole agent of alleged secondary effects is far from established.

Thujone just isn't very important.

By Heiko on Sunday, February 18, 2001 - 03:39 pm: Edit

Tabreaux,
I only wanted to be sure I am not drinking some totally other Deva which is made for the European/German market. This is what I thought might be the case, and then it probably also would have tasted different.
But it's good to know there's no reliable method in testing these levels anyways - so it's only a matter of time until a skillfull Absintheur makes a really strong one (strong in whatever levels, if it's strong for me, I don't care...) which is allowed to be sold here!

By Tabreaux on Sunday, February 18, 2001 - 03:29 pm: Edit

There is only one version of Deva 50%, and it does not contain 30mg/kg of thujone. Even if it did, it more than likely would not matter any more than if it contained 3mg/kg.

By Fluid on Sunday, February 18, 2001 - 12:45 pm: Edit

crappy crap.

different tests, different results.

you should review the old threads for more info on this... there's a lot buried back there!

By Heiko on Sunday, February 18, 2001 - 12:36 pm: Edit

First of all, I'm only talking about the Deva 50% (I know there's a new 70%).
As Betina (from B.El.) told me in a very informative mail, the Deva she sells has about 30mg/kg thujone. The store that I usually get it from is in Germany, and would therefore not be allowed to sell this (only 10mg/kg is legal here). I heard from another German reseller who was quoted in a newspaper that Deva had about 3mg/kg. So, is all the information about these levels just crap, or are there different versions of Deva 50% ?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation