Absinthe in Germany

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Feb 2001:Absinthe in Germany
By Joalco on Wednesday, February 21, 2001 - 09:00 am: Edit

Thanks so much, everyone! Your help is much appreciated and should help to make my vacation a green one... I guess I'll probably carry a spoon with me, and can hopefully avoid the whole flaming sugar ordeal. :)

By Lafeeverte on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 02:58 pm: Edit

Hi JC,
Germany is maybe not the right place to find the fairy in Bars at the moment. I'm very sure that in a year time this has changed. Quite a lot of connaisseurs are working on that pretty hard. I guess all the other recommondations about Berlin are 100% right. This is maybe the only town, where you can find it in a number or Bars and Disco. Dagmar Lohmann from Lohmann Spirituosen is the person you have to talk to. She's really ok and can give you some tips.

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 11:29 am: Edit

I don't know what I would do if someone set my absinthe on fire...

By Heiko on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 09:37 am: Edit

I just read that more than 80 bars and discos in Berlin serve Absinthe.
Prepare that most of them want to convince you that you have to burn sugar on a spoon - this is what was published in about every newspaper article considering absinthe (nothing about the real ritual). And be prepared that most people in these bars will probably think that they themselves invented Absinthe and they have to teach you how to do it the right way...

By Heiko on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 09:01 am: Edit

I have the adress of the liquor store where I ordered all of my Deva up to now:

Lohmann Spirituosen
Wilmersdorfer Strasse 77
10629 Berlin

So, if you don't find a bar, you have at least an adress of a store.

By Joalco on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 10:28 am: Edit

Plans are still forming. My "special someone" is spending four months studying German at the university in Bayreuth (sp?), and I'm meeting up with her in Munich the first week of June. I'll also be returning in the first week of July. So far, we're planning on making several train excursions (Berlin and Prague are what we've settled on as of yet), but we're both pretty open to suggestions. I haven't been overseas in ten years, so I'm looking forward to it greatly, and am pretty open as to what we do. Again, thanks for your help everyone!

By Germanandy on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 08:56 am: Edit

hi jon,

do you only stay in munich or do like to visit some other german towns?
if yes you are welcome in darmstadt, it's about 350 km far from munich (here are no bars or clubs which offer absinthe, but i've got a couple of different brands at home).

By Heiko on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 08:53 am: Edit

Munich - coke-city... lots of Armani dressed show-offs in Porsches and BMW's ;-) and of course old fashioned Bavarians drinking beer by the liter!

As far as I know, Berlin is the (only) place to go to get Absinthe in a bar. Where else? Everything's going on in Berlin...
I haven't been there, but I have read about the fée verte being served in the "Trompete", and there is some other place called "Absinthdepot".
I guess the south is the wrong place to look for it - it takes a long time until new customs are accepted here - Munich might be an exception, that city is kind of a modern, fashionable island in "redneck"-country ;-)

By Joalco on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 08:33 am: Edit

Hello, folks...

In about two and a half months, I will be spending a couple of weeks in Munich, with about a five day side trip to Prague. I have heard murmurings of absinthe being commercially available in Deutschland, and I was wondering if any of you good people had any recommendations as of where to go. I'd prefer to be able to purchase it in a cafe or restaurant, but barring that, a good old-fashioned liquor store would work just fine. Thanks in advance for your help, it is much appreciated.

Messieurs, c'est l'heuere!

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation