Absinthe Collectable Price Guide

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived Thru Feb 2001:Absinthe Collectable Price Guide
By Frenchman on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 09:28 am: Edit

Prices are not the problem at this present time....The real problem is to find antique absinthe stuff !!

The asking is too important and the offer too small to give standard prices

PhiL

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, February 21, 2001 - 08:10 pm: Edit

I just logged into my Goan office so I'll add my two rupees worth. As with all antiques there can only ever be a wide range of prices. Very rare items will always go to the highest bidder. More common items will sell for what the buyer thinks they are worth and what the seller can afford to sell them for. As an amateur collector it is fun to pick up items at flea markets because the cost of the visit to France was not a relevant factor. For someone in the trade it is very much a factor. In some ways it is a distorted market because, relative to other areas of antiques, so few people are selling these items and relatively few people are buying. It would only take a small increase in the interest in absinthe items to drive up demand, as happened with Clarice Cliff ceramics a few years ago. Also bear in mind that sellers with large collections can afford to indulge in 'cost averaging' which can distort the price for individual items. That said I'll be happy to put forward some suggestions when I return to the UK.

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, February 21, 2001 - 01:05 pm: Edit

anothe problem is variety. There are literally hunderds of differne obscure brands out there for stuff....the sheer volume of items is incredible. I just put up the items I had in my personal colletion on the site. As for price it is hard to nail something down. E-bay prices have dropped due to the amount of bad items on there. American prices are a bit higher due to shipping and often we have no choice but to go through a middleman etc...

So it is complex. As for a catalog of items I tried it out and will soon add more items and do some musing on the subject....

By Timk on Wednesday, February 21, 2001 - 11:14 am: Edit

Yea, that is a problem, but it doesnt have to be difinitive - just a rough idea, and a bringing together of all the items / absinthe manufacturers etc. that existed - ill start an excell sheet up - and post it on my site - if people add to / modify it then that will give us some idea.

Tim

By Petermarc on Wednesday, February 21, 2001 - 08:48 am: Edit

i had talked to justin about this some time ago...it is a wild frontier of prices, sometimes stupidly high, sometimes a deal...it is very difficult to standardize the values since there doesn't seem to be any rules...and big collectors don't talk or write much...right now you can get a general idea from e-bay; justin's site-- BEI (which is well done and informative)...absintheoriginals (ian, also well done with very fair prices,in many cases at the price i see things here for in france or less)and frenchmanltd.(the original site, that remains a reference)... but if someone wants something bad enough, he'll pay the price...kind of like absinthe, itself, isn't it? in several cases i had to buy something i didn't want in order to get the item i wanted...many items are less expensive in france, but many are not since there is already a base of collectors here and in switzerland...i had all intentions of selling most of what i have found but it is getting hard to part with any of it...

By Timk on Wednesday, February 21, 2001 - 07:31 am: Edit

Ditto : - )

By Mr_Rabbit on Wednesday, February 21, 2001 - 06:51 am: Edit

very nice! Concise, pretty, and it gives good information.

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 08:53 pm: Edit

I put something like that together on my site a while back...anyone interested take a look:

http://216.147.36.57/bei/faq.html

any comments would be helpful....

By Bob_Chong on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 08:16 pm: Edit

Seems like a good idea. Kudos.

By Timk on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 03:11 pm: Edit

Anyone care to help compose a price guide - realistic unlike the french bottle collector societies $150 for a mignonette of pernod fils - of absinthe related collectables, would also act as a list of all that was ever made related to absinthe.

Some category ideas:

Full Bottles - size & condition & content level
Empty bottles - size & labels & condition

Glasses Cut - styles
Glasses Uncut - styles
Glasses Advertising - styles

Spoons Plain - styles & materials
Spoons Rondes - styles & materials
Spoons Cuilleres - styles & materials

Topettes etched / cut - styles & size
Topettes ringed - styles & size

Carafes - styles

Fountains - style & advertising

Original posters

Bottle labels

Heck - i've probably missed tonnes, but thats what the forums here for : - )

Tim

Pyrogenee

Misc. advertising

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation