Anyone know anything about old champagne?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived thru March 2001:Anyone know anything about old champagne?
By Timk on Friday, March 02, 2001 - 11:41 am: Edit

Yea, and upon opening - the contents were............... sherry lol - never mind - not bad for $14.00 lol

By Timk on Tuesday, February 27, 2001 - 10:20 am: Edit

Thx guys, aparently it was in the same cellar since 1932 when it was purchased new. Well anyway thanks again.

Tim

By Bob_Chong on Tuesday, February 27, 2001 - 08:25 am: Edit

but not one that one necessarily wants to repeat that often

LOL

By Petermarc on Tuesday, February 27, 2001 - 05:16 am: Edit

hey, my mother is 72...so this is disturbing on another level...;-)...but good analogy...aahemmm...

By Martin on Tuesday, February 27, 2001 - 04:06 am: Edit

Stay away from my Grandmother, Oxygenee!

If you touch her, I swear...

-Martin

By Oxygenee on Tuesday, February 27, 2001 - 03:11 am: Edit

I've never seen the name Chandos Pere et Fils before. I'd imagine it was someones house brand, rather than a producer. CHANSON Pere et Fils is of course a long established and famous name in Burgundy.

If the champagne has been perfectly stored in a cool cellar, it may be very good still - a very rich, dry wine with a bouquet often reminiscent of walnuts or hazelnuts, with maybe still a slight prickle on the palette.

The drinkability of old champagne is VERY dependent on a lifetime of ideal storage conditions - champagne corks are far more highly compressed than normal corks and thus tend to harden and loose flexibility with age. If the wine has been moved from cellar to cellar, or exposed to warmth for any length of time, it will probably be undrinkable. Also, champagne seems to be more affected by light than other wines, so the cellar needs to be dark as well.

On the positive side, 1928 was an outstanding vintage - one of the very best of the pre-war years (together with 1911, 1921 and 1937).

Generally speaking, drinking a 72 year old wine is like making love to a 72 year old woman - an unusual and fascinating experience from which one can learn a great deal, but not one that one necessarily wants to repeat that often.

By Petermarc on Tuesday, February 27, 2001 - 02:07 am: Edit

the traditional english taste for champagne is old and almost flat served with cold game-birds...expect this champagne(cuvée pour l'angleterre 1928!)to be just that...i would keep it as a novelty, unless your tastes run the same...if you got a good deal, it's fun to have around...i prefer the taste of pinot noir in champagne and small bubbles...actually most champagnes are not very good wines, and the bubbles distract that fact...

By Timk on Monday, February 26, 2001 - 03:09 pm: Edit

http://www.geocities.com/timkilvington/fullfront.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/timkilvington/neck.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/timkilvington/Label.jpg

pics : - )

By Timk on Monday, February 26, 2001 - 02:54 pm: Edit

Just out of interest, knowing that we all have a wide range of interests, does anyone know anything about old champagne - specifically, a

1928 cellar stored bottle of Chandos Pere et Fils special reserve cuvee pour l'angleterre which I just purchased at a VERY reasonable price. I dont seem to be able to find any info on the producer but what the hell its 73 years old : - )

Tim

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation