Absinthe Glass Shapes

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived thru March 2001:Absinthe Glass Shapes
By Petermarc on Friday, March 02, 2001 - 05:37 am: Edit

that was a heartbreaking sound... two glasses of oxygénée snuck in a pastis-theme bistro just didn't seem like enough...time to head to pontarlier and boveresse...damn, can't believe we have to miss NO...

By Ekmass on Friday, March 02, 2001 - 02:05 am: Edit

Ah, the joys of broken glasses. Last weekend I was w/ Petermarc and bought a nice bistro glass. Well somewhere along the way to a bar I managed to drop it. It broke w/ a lovely "poof"! Very heartbreaking. But Petermarc was nice enough to offer me a glass of of ab for my consolation. Thanks again Peter.

By Timk on Thursday, March 01, 2001 - 05:05 pm: Edit

Hmm... the nicest glass I have found is the huge cut east class - same as the one on Justins site - if you fill it up looking from the inside to the outside, you get a bigger dose which works better with weaker absinthe, and if you look at the outside when filling it up, you get a smaller dose for stronger ones - this seems to work well, however when full the damn thing is bloody heavy and unwealdy, so I normally end up drinking out of my smaller cut reservoir - personally if the dose is correct - the shape of the glass has little effect - as long as it is y -shaped I really dont mind. And yea, those 70's pernod glasses are just about right for modern 'absinthe'

Tim

By Petermarc on Thursday, March 01, 2001 - 01:38 pm: Edit

ian,
you mean you didn't send the la fée with a hole broken in the bottom of the styrofoam? (same post office)i think ever other person in france is a postal worker, and they REALLY don't give a shit... i still haven't heard back from the guy that sent me the two glasses in thin little box and i sent him photos of the disaster...

By Chrysippvs on Thursday, March 01, 2001 - 09:48 am: Edit

I know these horrors, and gentlemen I have wept similar tears...

By Absinthedrinker on Thursday, March 01, 2001 - 09:20 am: Edit

this would be the same post office that smashed there way into the triple packaged La Fée I sent you and then said it wasn't wrapped securely?

By Petermarc on Thursday, March 01, 2001 - 09:09 am: Edit

tell that to the french post office that found a way to break both the stem of a cut east and the lip of a plain east at the same time...painful...

By Chrysippvs on Thursday, March 01, 2001 - 08:01 am: Edit

We say that, and after the second glass everyone in the room starts drinking from bistro glasses. I won't have floating away to some etheral wonderland with a 200 dollar pontarlier in their hands...

- J

By Absinthedrinker on Thursday, March 01, 2001 - 07:58 am: Edit

The nice thing about the old bistro glasses is that they are so heavy well made that you don't feel that you don't have to worry about breaking them. If they could survive the rough and tumble of a working bar they can survive anything.

By Petermarc on Thursday, March 01, 2001 - 07:48 am: Edit

because of the high alcoholic content of traditional absinthe, the idea of using a narrow-tapering mouth (tulip) glass is not as enjoyable as with fine wine because it concentrates the alcohol and projects it into your snout... most of the epoch glasses have straight, V or slightly V-shapes which dissipates the intensity of the alcohol while allowing the expansion of the intense aroma...the more complex and intense the drink the more effective a larger glass is, as opposed to a narrow-mouthed glass like most modern pastis glasses...i enjoy using the thinnest glass for wine-drinking but prefer epoch glasses for absinthe...they are also very thick, made for bistro use, have have a nice heft in the hand which adds to the pleasure of the drink, without detracting from the taste...when left in the freezer for five minutes, the thick, fluted choppe yvonne becomes the best beer glass i have ever used...of course this could be all bs and i just like them 'cause they're cool looking and old...favorites; tall cut east, big cordon, choppe yvonne, and big-dosed pontarlier (as justin descibed), which does have the best ratio...

By Chrysippvs on Thursday, March 01, 2001 - 07:33 am: Edit

The only thing I don't like about the Pontarlier glasses is cleaning the sugar out of the bottom. The Pontarlier glass that I often use, if great because it has a very wide mouth, and when drinking absinthe the nose fits perfectly into the glass. Assuming the absinthe has a nice bouquet, then the tasting is that much more enjoyable. An East glass is good for this too. However when I drink for a very nice occasion I use my first absinthe glass. It is a classic larger Egg with a very deep defined dose, just like the one Verlaine has in that picture of him in the Cafe Francois 1.

I didn't mention the Czech methods because they don't deserve that (both the fire and the pipe). That is an excuse for their grossly antinomian approach to "absinthe" production and consumption. There is a great word for their absinthe: "joke"

-->And what exactly is it you usually drink? Vintage stuff, or something new and underground? Is this anything the average absinthe enthusiast such as myself can get?<--

I collect absinthes from all over the US and from Europe, some of them are made very well (and some are toxic messes) and I get a liter or so when I can. This is what I usually drink when I do drink absinthe with friends. They are very nice, but too much trouble (shipping, finding contacts, bad packing jobs etc...) to bother getting in large amounts to sell to anyone.

Honestly I would just wait for Jade Liqueurs to go live. That absinthe promises to be better than all modern commercial products, and at the same time will have all the ease of Spirits Corner and looks to be at a reasonable price.

- Justin

By Absinthedrinker on Thursday, March 01, 2001 - 07:05 am: Edit

Don't worry Mr Riedel is probably working on the ideal absinthe glass at this very moment, and when the results come out antique glasses will suddenly seem like good value for money.

Seriously though, I have drunk absinthe from all styles of antique glasses and have noticed no difference in the taste or the appreciation of the taste. Most of the glasses, with the exception of some finer reservoir glasses, are very thick and the apertures are pretty standard in diameter (so that the spoons would fit). In terms of preference I usually go with an East glass (because it holds slightly more and I don't have to fill it up so often). Whilst the reservoir and Pontarlier glasses are very attractive aesthetically I find them a bit fussy for everyday use.

By Ekmass on Thursday, March 01, 2001 - 06:55 am: Edit

The modern bistro glasses I find nice for a quick drink, before dinner etc. But if you are gonna settle down and watch a movie or sit awhile, I find the big old egg shaped glasses the best. You do not have to keep getting up to refill the thing like with the smaller ones. Plus your wife (or whomever) won't call you an alcoholic for filling up your glass five times in an hour.
EM

By Martin on Thursday, March 01, 2001 - 06:46 am: Edit

Absolutely, and that's why I mentioned the Czech sipping pipe! Tho I deviated a bit, I did give an opinion regarding your original query. I think the design of the sipping pipe is great for tasting. Among other things, you can control exactly how it hits your tongue.

I've also found that glasses with thin walls and wide openings work very good with absinthe. Smaller openings work good too, but I think thin glass is very important. You get the perfect sip with the thin glass.

-Martin

By Aion on Thursday, March 01, 2001 - 06:27 am: Edit

I guess there is a little misunderstanding.
I was not talking about etched dose, mix ratio or sugar rituals!
Wanted to talk about the influence of the glass design on the taste.
I am quite sure, that the same Absinthe,
neat, or diluted in the same ratio, will taste and smell very different if you use a glass with a very wide opening diameter (like an East glass) or with a narrow opening (like an Egg glass).
Also the thickness of walls of the glass and the shape of the rim is of importance, because all these parameters influence where the liquid touches the tongue, where your nose is when you drink, ...

A.

By Bjacques on Thursday, March 01, 2001 - 06:27 am: Edit

Maybe I'm getting used to the taste, but Hill's is almost bearable when you add sugar, burnt or not, and water (1:1). I thought I'd seen the burnt sugar procedure on these pages somewhere, and not only for Hill's. I'm not a stickler for ritual anyway. I use a sugar cube, so burning breaks it up an makes it easier to stir in.

By Martin on Thursday, March 01, 2001 - 06:01 am: Edit

"This is perfect for the range of absinthe that I drink which is usually between 68% and 72%."

And what exactly is it you usually drink? Vintage stuff, or something new and underground? Is this anything the average absinthe enthusiast such as myself can get?

-Martin

By Martin on Thursday, March 01, 2001 - 05:58 am: Edit

I'm sipping some Segarra out of a Pernod pastis glass right now! Ha, and I was just about to suggest that too. Ya beat me to it. Anyway, I do like using pastis glasses, but I don't usually pay heed to the dose markings, as even those make it a little too weak for my taste. I usually put the absinthe in til a little past the liquer dose, and put the water in til almost halfway to the water dose. This gives me roughly a 1:1 ratio. Sometimes I like a little more and sometimes a little less.

I've also found that a Double size shot glass works pretty well for sipping it neat, if you want to do some more intense "tasting". Actually, my Czech Sebor sipping pipe is probably the best thing I've used for tasting. It's really nice and the bowl is big enough to add some water or ice if you want to mix it a bit. I really like it straight with some crushed ice. Of course the ice skews it a bit if your doing very analytical tasting, but the sipping pipe really is an interesting choice. A suprisingly good idea from the absinthe fiends in the Czech Republic.

Now for an incredibly BAD idea from the Czech Republic.... the Burning Sugar Ritual. Whoever thought this up was obviously just some sick pyromaniac, because it completely ruins the taste. I just tried it with a bit of MM (gotta love the 140 proof stuff!), and the results were wretched. Really gross. It did make it slightly smoother, but the taste was unpalatable. Is this what needs to be done to Hill's to make it potable?

-Martin

By Chrysippvs on Thursday, March 01, 2001 - 05:22 am: Edit

Depends on what you call absinthe. I have a very nice Pontarlier glass, with a larger dose (around 1.5 fl oz), however the glass is sized to allow the perfect amount of water ratio (around 1:4). This is perfect for the range of absinthe that I drink which is usually between 68% and 72%.

I have found that most glasses are made for absinthe of this alcohol content not the 45%-55% of most modern absinthes. Hence more absinthe and less water for a good balanced flavor (if you find a absinthe with a non-monochromatic flavor to begin with).

With modern absinthe I have found that the Pernod Pastis glasses and general pastis glasses are the best. They tend to be around 1 fl oz, while the water ratio is usually around 1:2.5 so the flavor is a bit more balanced. Notice when I sample modern absinthes (usually) I have am using a modern little bistro glass.

Just my opinion and in the catagory of taste, everyone has a valid one.

- J

By Aion on Thursday, March 01, 2001 - 05:07 am: Edit

Made the experience that the shapes of glasses for wines or single-malts have an enormous impact on the taste.

What is the best shape for an Absinthe Glass
to support the revelation of flavors?

A.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation