HELP !!! My provider killed www.frenchmanltd.com....

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived thru March 2001:HELP !!! My provider killed www.frenchmanltd.com....
By Don_Walsh on Friday, March 02, 2001 - 11:02 am: Edit

BJ, the registrars are most peculiar about this.

It is due to the automated (programmed) system, and their unwillingness to referee.

Someone registering a .com etc (USA) is well advised to make themselves all three contacts (admin, technical, billing). This means dealing diectly with Network Solutions. This means you will need the EXACT and CORRECT names and IP addresses for the primary and secondary DNS nameservers, and that your hosting IS IN PLACE before you register.

If you proceed this way you have 100% power. But be advised that with power coems responsibility. A single alphanumeric error in name or IP address will mean your domain name won't work because the DNS won't spot it. Try to avoid server names with potential o/0 errors, or 1 (number one) versus 1 (letter L lowercase) errors as these are hard to spot.

If you think the US is a pain in the ass, you should try some other TLD registrars (Top Level Domains). Invariably the US is easiest and cheapest. I know. I have a Thai domain.

By Frenchman on Friday, March 02, 2001 - 10:32 am: Edit

Yes, Blackjack i have the hand on my domain name : the transfert has been update just before you read my registration.
My old registration was :

FrenchMan SARL (FRENCHMANLTD-DOM)
BP 1139
Lyon cedex 01, France 69203
FR

Domain Name: FRENCHMANLTD.COM

Administrative Contact:
Internet, Service (SI1985) frenchman@NETSYSTEME.NET
+33472000000
Technical Contact:
Net Systeme, France (SJ442) nic@NETSYSTEME.NET
+33 4 77 10 11 00
Billing Contact:
Net Systeme, France (SJ442) nic@NETSYSTEME.NET
+33 4 77 10 11 00

Record last updated on 18-Sep-1999.
Domain servers in listed order:

NS1.NETSYSTEME.NET 212.208.23.1
NS2.NETSYSTEME.NET 212.208.23.2
NS3.NETSYSTEME.NET 212.208.58.25

I stole my own domain to my old provider.... :)
And they can send your invoice, i am waiting. (just to see!)

But principal matter wasn't the money, the matter was that they decided to take very long time before to regive me my domain name. It was a big matter for emails, and without emails i don't live !

A lot of providers practise abuse of power on their customers.... it is a curious business.

PhiL

By _Blackjack on Friday, March 02, 2001 - 09:53 am: Edit

Don, you may be right, but as administrative contact, I THINK Phil actually has the power to change any of the contact info, so he can simply remove these people as the technical contact. I remember doing this when I was administrative contact for my old work. I haven't had any trouble with my own domain, so I can't be sure.

By Don_Walsh on Friday, March 02, 2001 - 06:55 am: Edit

Phil and Blackjack: OK, Phil is the admin contact and his company is the billing contact. HOWEVER in making any change both the administrative and technical contact (the old host) must respond to the automated emails from the registrar. If the technical contact is a crook, they will simply demand money and not respond to registrar before allowing the technical contact information and the server information to be updated.

The registrars are not very interested in arbitrating disputes.

You can well imagine why.

As a real world matter Phil has little option but to pay the $200 and move to a new host.

I know of many such disputes in USA. MAny involve hosting services who used to allow free 'parking' of domain names. Webcom is one such example. A very bad smell in the registration business.

By Frenchman on Thursday, March 01, 2001 - 09:11 pm: Edit

Thank you very much for all friends who helped me in and out the forum.
I think that now all is OK and that i will be able to reborn the frenchmanltd's absinthe this next week.....

With this bad story, i uncovered dishonest practicals of some providers.
If you have a Domain name, be carefull to have the hand on it and don't trust your provider....
We never know what the life will offer you for tomorrow....

I am an happy man to have friends in Silicon Valley !! :-)

PhiL

By _Blackjack on Thursday, March 01, 2001 - 08:26 pm: Edit

According to this, you, Phil, are the administrative contact, and, Frenchman SARL (I assume that is your company name) owns the domain. Since you own the company, you control the domain. Have you already talked to Network Solutions? I know there is a language barrier, but it is clear that you, not your ISP, should control this domain. They should be able to sort this out.

From what I see, your new ISP should be able to initiate the change of hosting and there is nothing your old ISP can do about it. You, as the administrative contact, will get an email asking you to confirm the change.

Registrant:
FrenchMan SARL (FRENCHMANLTD-DOM)
BP 1139
Lyon cedex 01, France 69203
FR
FR

Domain Name: FRENCHMANLTD.COM

Administrative Contact, Billing Contact:
Phil, Fumoux (FPA108) frenchmanltd@AOL.COM
BP 1139
Lyon CEDEX 01, 69203
FR
Technical Contact:
nadine, keibler (KN1062) guyh@ESPACE2001.COM
espace2001
88 route de woippy
metz
FR

Record last updated on 28-Feb-2001.
Record expires on 18-Sep-2001.
Record created on 18-Sep-1999.
Database last updated on 1-Mar-2001 22:51:43 EST.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS.ESPACE2004.COM 66.33.0.107
NS2.ESPACE2004.COM 66.33.1.107

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, March 01, 2001 - 08:10 pm: Edit

Phil, you are the victim of an old abuse of the domain registration process.

YOU need to be the administrative and billing contact. Your host should be the technical contact, but if your host is a croook, you can be technical contact as well. However you need to be set up on someone's DNS (primary and secondary) and you need to provide the correct names and IP addresses of both name servers to Network Solutions or whoever is your registrar.

As things stand you have no 'standing' with Network Solutions at all, you are at the mercy of your host who registered YOUR domain you paid for to HIMSELF. That sucks.

By Mr_Rabbit on Thursday, March 01, 2001 - 07:55 pm: Edit

Damn. Their site is all in French... My own efforts at investigation have revealed only that and the Whois, which doesn't seem promising. Of course, I have been at work 14hrs now and my brain is a little mushy...

Did you pay these guys to register your domain with Network Solutions for you? What were the terms of that?

By Timk on Thursday, March 01, 2001 - 05:11 pm: Edit

Ill give them an e-mail to try to find out what is going on.

Tim

By Frenchman on Thursday, March 01, 2001 - 12:07 pm: Edit

Dear absinthe peoples ,

Perhaps you saw that my web site about antique absinthe stuff is out of line ?

I asked to my provider to transfer my domain name on a other provider after a bad service and an incompetence : It decided to sequestrated my domain name , to break my web site and to ask me $200 for the transfer.....
I thought that "my" domain name was my own ?!
But i have no the hand on the Administrative Contact, Technical Contact, Billing Contact.

IT IS A STEAL !!

Someone could help me to convince hostmaster@networksolutions.com that this domain name is mine ???

Thank you very much for your help and VIVA THE FREE WEB !!

Please, to contact me, use frenchmanltd@aol.com.
Phil@frenchmanltd.com is dead.

PhiL (sorry for my bad english)

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation