Was the forum down or does everyone have a hangover?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived thru March 2001:Was the forum down or does everyone have a hangover?
 SubtopicPosts Updated
Archive through March 07, 2001  32   03/07 05:02pm

By Marcellin on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 05:19 pm: Edit

Malhomme, thanks for the Austin info. Yes, I would like to plan a trip, as I've heard that it is an entertaining city. I'm not sure when I'll be able to put a trip together though, I've just booked a flight to New York City for my girlfriend and I. I didn't have plans to go to NYC but I got such a great rate I couldn't turn it down. $129 round trip, Detroit to NYC, tax included. I'm pumped, I love NYC!

p.

By Malhomme on Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 08:07 am: Edit

Marcellin,
This month and October are probably the best months. March is the prettiest month as the hills and roadsides are covered with wildflowers. But this doesn't last for very long: blue skies will too soon give way to rain, and rain will soon give way to extreme heat. (The funny thing about wildflowers is that they turn to "stick-a-burrs" and other unpleasant things in the summer. Sounds like a metaphor for something, just don't know what.) In the summer it can get VERY hot. August is the hottest month. Temperatures last year topped-out at 115 degrees, exceeding daily highs for Death Valley. This wasn't some isolated event; these temperatures lasted for some weeks. By October it is nice and cool again. Fall leaves, clear blue skies. Just really nice.

I guess what I'm saying is: don't come for the fine weather! Austin is great for live music, cool people, funky living, bongo playing, good food, and casual nightlife. As I've said before, it's the San Francisco of Texas.

There are quite a few absintheurs here in Austin, and in Texas. If you came down sometime, maybe we could hook-up an AA meeting. We'll be in transition between now and July (wedding stuff, moving-out and moving-in) but we'd both like to see you again. Give us a shout sometime and we'll hook it up.

Jim

By Marcellin on Tuesday, March 20, 2001 - 04:23 pm: Edit

Jim & Alison, Congratulations!! June 21st? - boy you move fast! Yes, it WAS a good thing we didn't hook up that night in NO. Now I feel my absence from that evening has played a small roll in your engagement. And thanks for the invite to Austin. It has always been on my list of places to visit. When is the best weather, what are the hot month down there, I'll try to avoid those?

p.

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, March 20, 2001 - 08:16 am: Edit

No Ted really is in league with the dark ones, I wrote up the contract. You guys think the Thai bureaucracy runs slowly, try the netherworlds....

By Bob_Chong on Tuesday, March 20, 2001 - 12:17 am: Edit

His relative sobriety also plays a part. No one looks good drunk except to other drunk people.

By Don_Walsh on Monday, March 19, 2001 - 08:04 pm: Edit

The no-redeye in pics was part of Ted's deal with the Forces of Darkness, a minor codicil as opposed to the main part, the secret of great Absinthe.

By Melinelly on Monday, March 19, 2001 - 07:14 pm: Edit

ok here we go. posted all of Matt's pictures and the remainder of ours as well.

so there's 14 new pics to look at on the site.

go.

look.

now.

http://www.geocities.com/melinelly/absinthe.html

anyone else noticing how Ted manages to look great in every picture while everyone else at least once becomes victim to varying degrees of pinkishness, redeye, and oh-my-god-what-happened-there? =P ancient chinese secret i s'pose ;)

well, enjoy the pics, that's all of 'em unless someone's holdin' out!

cheers!

emiliano

By Heiko on Monday, March 19, 2001 - 07:31 am: Edit

"What will I do with all that La Bleue???"

-- If you don't want it anymore, I'll take it ;-)

By Malhomme on Monday, March 19, 2001 - 06:58 am: Edit

Thanks, Matt! The date is June 21... Midsummers Night... timed for a night reception.

So far, I'll have some good la bleues (thanks, Eric!!!) and hopefully some of Ted's. Allison told me last night that I shouldn't get anything else as Ted's is the only one she'll drink! What will I do with all that La Bleue??? :)

Jim

By Treeman5 on Sunday, March 18, 2001 - 04:53 pm: Edit

No problem Melinelly, I wasn't sure if anyone had that pic either, hadn't seen it posted..Your site looks great, I love all the pics.

Jim and Alison congratulations! When's the big day? Next question, what will you be serving at the reception, perhaps some Nouvell Orleans??

When can we do it again???????

Thank you Kallisti for getting the pics posted,
when can we do it again? oh did I say that already??
Matt

By Melinelly on Sunday, March 18, 2001 - 02:34 pm: Edit

cool, i was hoping that someone took a pic of the painting behind the bar. thanks, Matt =)

i'll get the pics up on my site probably monday afternoon. mel also scanned in the rest of our pics, but we've been in the city since friday so i haven't been able to update the site yet. all in all, i've got about a dozen new pics for the site (including matt's) =) yay!

aside from me and mel, only other forumite who's seen our pics is morrigan. gave her a hard copy of ted pouring a drink into her ice cream truck =)

By Bob_Chong on Sunday, March 18, 2001 - 01:27 pm: Edit

Do you see the hands on that "green fairy"?

I always thought la fee verte would be an actual woman, not just someone in women's clothing.

BC

By Admin on Sunday, March 18, 2001 - 09:11 am: Edit

Treeman had the kindness of heart to send my his pix of the event as well:

http://www.sepulchritude.com/chapelperilous/absinthe/gathering/treeman/

Melinelly, more fodder for your collection, eh?

By Malhomme on Wednesday, March 14, 2001 - 11:45 am: Edit

Justin,
No hurry. Just verifying that it was a valid email address.

Jim

By Admin on Wednesday, March 14, 2001 - 11:22 am: Edit

no darlin' ... haven't received naught. send email to kallisti@pair.com which is my actual mailbox. I'll let you know if that works ...

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, March 14, 2001 - 11:21 am: Edit

sorry I have been away from my AOL account. I am at a friend house over spring break working on translating a book by Edward Kelly. I may be going back home today and will mail you back then. sorry for the wait!

- J

By Malhomme on Wednesday, March 14, 2001 - 11:02 am: Edit

Justin,
I sent my email address to you (your AOL account) but never got the reply. If you give me a mailing address I can mail the spoon to you.

Jim

By Morriganlefey on Wednesday, March 14, 2001 - 10:28 am: Edit

Ha Ha - Yes, Kallisti and I are indeed "fully-sassed" in that picture (and that was still early in the evening - we weren't even hopped-up on Jade yet!) You can even see my little "Belle Epoche Ice Cream Truck Glass" if you look closely. The whole thing was a blast, as all the pictures pretty clearly show!

- Morrigan

(Side note - Kallisti, I've sent you, Marquis & Melusine a couple emails with nary a reply - did you get them? Thanks!)

By Marcellin on Tuesday, March 13, 2001 - 06:53 pm: Edit

Melinelly, (or Emiliano - hey, I don't know what to call anybody anymore... o.k., I'll just stick with the forum names)

Melinelly, thanks for your photo page. It's almost like being there again - but I must say, we are all so much better looking in person than we are digitized.

p.

By Petermarc on Tuesday, March 13, 2001 - 12:50 pm: Edit

mmmmm....sassssy...

By Melinelly on Tuesday, March 13, 2001 - 12:47 pm: Edit

thanks, hon =) done and posted!

that one with you and morrigan is great!

By Admin on Tuesday, March 13, 2001 - 11:26 am: Edit

Here's some more of the Marquis' pix ...

http://www.sepulchritude.com/chapelperilous/absinthe/gathering/

There's a real sassy one of me and Morrigan that is rather precious.

Melinelly, you are free to grab them for your compendium.

I too am feeling very wistful about the event, and wish that I coulda spent more time with ya'll. Unfortunately I was very sick at the time (I've got my bronchial inhaler now!) that I wouldna been much good to no one.

By _Blackjack on Tuesday, March 13, 2001 - 10:33 am: Edit

Quote:

also, a couple of the pics i put up are of the fountains at the Old Absinthe House Bar... really really sad that the place is just another daquiri bar =/ blech...

The sight of what looks like a Slurpee machine with a "Margarita" sign on it behind that gorgeous fountain nearly makes me weep...

By Melinelly on Monday, March 12, 2001 - 10:19 pm: Edit

ok a few more pics added to the site. still some more to scan, should be done in the next couple days. also, cleaned up some of justin's pics a little although doing that brought out how much red his camera picked up hehe so my apologies if some of y'all look a little more pink than you should =)

also, a couple of the pics i put up are of the fountains at the Old Absinthe House Bar... really really sad that the place is just another daquiri bar =/ blech... and a good thing we didn't actually decide to make a run over and steal them since they're built into the counters LOL. i could just see us trying tho!

cheers!

emiliano

By Melinelly on Monday, March 12, 2001 - 01:49 pm: Edit

thanks, Justin. i went ahead and posted all that you had in the zip file. just text links to the photos to keep the loading time down for anyone with slo comps or connections. mel will hopefully get a bunch more scanned in today, but as is the case i too wish i'd have taken more.

By Marcellin on Sunday, March 11, 2001 - 11:10 am: Edit

Hello Rick, it's good to see that we all made it safely through Saturday night. I had a blast with you and Paige, tell her I said hi.

Hey, did you mention something about playing in Chicago in the near future? If so, let me know and I'll come down for a vist.

patrick.

By Chrysippvs on Sunday, March 11, 2001 - 10:44 am: Edit

emiliano,

No problem use any of them you like..wish i would have taken more...

By Treeman5 on Sunday, March 11, 2001 - 06:33 am: Edit

Hello again, hey I was wondering if anyone that stayed at St. Vincent's had any "spooky" occurances..It seems that in my room, someone(something) had been playing with my change..The night before I had emptied my pockets, leaving my change on the suitcase, upon returning from breakfast Sat morning all the pennies where heads up and touching to form a small triangle..Room service had not been there I am sure of this..Sound like something a kid would do???Weird! Well that's all that happened to me, anyone else have something freaky to share??

By Royale on Sunday, March 11, 2001 - 04:33 am: Edit

"After the first glass you see things as you wish they were. After the second, you see things as they are not. Finally you see things as they really are but then after seven or so you can't see anything."

First I want to say thanks to Ted, Justin and Adam (of the Pirates Ally) for a wonderful evening and most of all, thank you to Kallisti. I'm sure I speak for us all; though you may not have introduced us to absinthe you have introduced the world of absinthe to us.

Never in my mind had I dreamed that a bunch of people who would meet over the Internet on a forum about an anachronistic alcohol be so vibrant, friendly and socially well adjusted. It was a pleasure to meet all that I met and would have loved to have spent much more time with you. If this collection of people is any representation of the rest of the forum, I would be pleased to have any of you over for an absinthe at my home anytime.

As for the drinks
I really enjoyed the Nouvelle-Orleans; it was so fine tasting that sugar I fear might soil the flavour. Paige, my sexier half, loved this one. She is not as big a fan of anise and doesn't carry my sweet tooth, so this was definitely more desirable to her pallate. I personally enjoy the taste and particularly the romance of the sugar ritual so my vote is going to the Edouard. With sugar, the Edouard, is by far the best tasting absinthe I have ever had. Even as I sit here typing after a few glasses of my old beloved Deva I long for the taste of this Jade Liqueur. The Gorgon, with it mild nibble of what I believe is clove, was aptly described as " Gothic" tasting. I would have loved to try more of it but it ran dry early. Unfortunately I was unable to taste the Pontarlier. By the time I got around to that drink it was all gone. I guess I was drinking too slowly. Alas, what I lacked in speed I over compensated in quantity. I lost count half way through the night at 8 glasses and fear to imagine how many I had after that.

Special thanks to
Ted for indulging me in my over indulgence.
Paige and Patrick for helping me stumble blindly through the quarter, keeping me vertical and safe.
And thank God those strip bars stay open until well after sunrise in New Orleans.

Sometime after 8:30am Sunday morning Paige and I fell asleep in each other's arms and missed our checkout by 3 hours. All in all an amazing weekend, we can't wait to do it again.

By Melinelly on Sunday, March 11, 2001 - 03:00 am: Edit

justin, mind if i throw those pics up on one of my pages? i'm making a simple page for people to look at photos we took. i've only got one scanned and posted so far, so it'll be nice to fill out the site. also, it'd be good to have 'em all in one place =)

patrick, if we had the money left over to do it, we'd be there in a flash!

here's the page i'm throwin up:

cheers!

emiliano

By Chrysippvs on Saturday, March 10, 2001 - 08:21 am: Edit

For those interested here is a zip file with around 8 photos from the tasting, not the greatest quality do to poor lighting but I am sure you will get the picture. Enjoy!

http://216.147.36.57/bei/absinthe_tasting.zip

- J

By Marcellin on Saturday, March 10, 2001 - 07:58 am: Edit

Hey, how can we get a JPEG file of that group photo? Can someone e-mail the file? Thanks

p.

By Marcellin on Saturday, March 10, 2001 - 07:33 am: Edit

o.k., I'm just posting now (Sat. Feb. 10), I stayed in Nola until Tuesday, (what a blast). But I too would like to extend all my sincerest gratitudes to Ted, (yeah I know he's good looking), Kalisti (for you, and all you represent), Atremis (for the flask) and everyone I met in Nola. It truly was much more than I ever anticipated!

I WANT TO DO IT AGAIN, NOW! TODAY! (who's up for it?)

patrick

By Domingo on Friday, March 09, 2001 - 05:23 pm: Edit

Finally getting to post. First what a great time it was. Thanks to all the host, you know who you are.

I stayed at the very spooky St. Vincents Childrens Asylum, complete with black and white photos of nuns shaving kids heads. Saturday morning, from the the cafe across the street, was the best visual. Some bad ass thunder storm rolled in and just set the scene as we looked on at the Asylum. I was waiting the Mystery Machine to roll up.
I was hosted very well by the Green Imp, who stayed at the same hotel. That man travels right. He had a little cafe going in his room. My friend and I were treated to some Segara on Friday. The Green Imp had glasses, carafes and spoons all layed out.
Saturday the three of us hit Magazine Streets antique shops. We both picked up carafes there. That led us to lunch in the quarter and Lucullas other shop. Where Ted is a legend by the way. These folks have the most impressive glass collection I have ever seen. They give Ted all the credit for inspiring them.
To describe Saturday nights party is to do it a disservice. Picture your most fantasized absinthe drinking setting and the double it.
The one thing that does stick in my mind was the lighting. I can not tell you what was providing the lighting, but when I walked aroud the corner and saw all the bright green glasses, I knew I was home.

The "some guy" to my right is my friend, Jason.
Domingo

By Domingo on Friday, March 09, 2001 - 05:20 pm: Edit

Finally getting to post. First what agreat time it was. Thanks to all the host, you know who you are.

I stayed at the very spooky St. Vincents Childrens Asylum, complete with black and white photos of nuns shaving kids heads. Saturday morning from the the cafe across the street was the best visual. Some bad ass thunder storm rolled in and just set the seen as we looked on at the Asylum. I was waiting the Mystery Machine to roll up.
I was hosted very well by the Green Imp, who stayed at the same hotel. That man travels right. He had a little cafe going in his room. My friend and I were treated to some Segara on Friday. The Green Imp had glasses, carafes and spoons all layed out.
Saturday the three of us hit Magazine Streets antique shops. We both picked up carafes there. That led us to lunch in the quarter and Lucullas other shop. Where Ted is a legend by the way. These folks have the most ipressive glass collection I have evere seen. They give Ted all the credit for inspiring them.
To describe Saturday nights party is to do it a disservice. Picture your most fantasized absinthe drinking setting and the double it.
The one thing that does stick in my mind was the lighting. I can not tell you what was providing the lighting, but when I walked aroud the corner and saw all the bright green glasses, I knew I was home.

The "some guy" to my right is my friend, Jason.
Domingo

By Malhomme on Friday, March 09, 2001 - 10:54 am: Edit

"kissing that night including other people's girlfriends/boyfriends/wives/husbands"

Whuh??

By Tabreaux on Friday, March 09, 2001 - 09:55 am: Edit

Kisses? I didn't get any of that. All I was able to kiss was the cold condensation on an absinthe fountain. I think I had only one (or maybe two) glasses the whole evening. I just watched you guys get loopy.

By Melinelly on Friday, March 09, 2001 - 09:16 am: Edit

hehe Mel took the photos to work today to scan so i should have a page up soon to show them off... not much nudity i'm afraid. although there was some kissing that night including other people's girlfriends/boyfriends/wives/husbands, i didn't get any of it on film hehe =P

By Midas on Friday, March 09, 2001 - 04:37 am: Edit

"NAKED ABSINTHE ADDICTS", next on Jerry Springer...

By Perruche_Verte on Thursday, March 08, 2001 - 08:52 pm: Edit

Ooh, more of those sexy photos! Couldn't make it to New Orleans, can't drink Ted's absinthe yet -- could we at least see more naked people, please?
The Forum will attract a whole new audience. ;-)

By Chrysippvs on Thursday, March 08, 2001 - 08:02 pm: Edit

I do have one of those...just drop me a line...

By Malhomme on Thursday, March 08, 2001 - 07:57 pm: Edit

Sure. I'll email you my work email address for instructions on where to mail it. If you could find a Gombault les Etoiles #2 in fine condition let me know.

Cheers,
Jim

By Chrysippvs on Thursday, March 08, 2001 - 03:22 pm: Edit

I wish I could, but it is techincally Jen's spoon and she was horribly sad when it turned up missing. If you want one like it I can find you one for pretty cheap. Just let me know...

By Melinelly on Thursday, March 08, 2001 - 01:32 pm: Edit

LOL, i knew there was a reason you weren't letting us hang onto it, jim =P

on another note, congratulations! can't wait to tell Mel. it was a pleasure meeting you and spending time with you and Allison. only wish we'd had longer.

as i was falling asleep last night, i was thinking about saturday night's events, and words filled my head. i hadn't been inspired in such a way in years, and hopefully i'll get out of this four year creative funk i've been!

(untitled as of yet):

here i see you
eye to eye
a thousand miles away

here i feel you
in my arms
a good night's warm embrace

here i taste you
on my tongue
a bitter sweet delight

here i think i've known you
longer than
the stars have graced the sky

these precious things
these mental notes
together sipping time away

to new orleans
to you and i
i raise my glass, la fee verte

cheers!

emiliano

By Malhomme on Thursday, March 08, 2001 - 11:56 am: Edit

Yes it is! Are you willing to sell it? Allison has grown quite attached to it.

Jim

By Chrysippvs on Thursday, March 08, 2001 - 11:35 am: Edit

hey Jim

I lost a Les Etoiles number 2, no publicity just standard old stamped spoon. I think Jen set it down and forgot about it after a few too many glasses....Is that the spoon you speak of?

By Malhomme on Thursday, March 08, 2001 - 11:19 am: Edit

Allison and I got engaged the next night, partly inspired by the wonderful time we had at Ted's party. What a great bunch of people we have here!!! It felt like the meeting of a bunch of long-lost friends. You are some of the nicest, most intelligent, witty, charming folks I have ever met. It was a pleasure to us both to meet all of you. I hope this is something we can find a way to do on a yearly basis.

I'd like to show my gratitude to Mel for finding my glass. And mention that a spoon was found among my things. I'll mail it to its owner if the owner is able to describe it.

Of the varieties of absinthe that we tried, it's hard to pick a clear favorite. They are just all so *good*. Allison was surprised that they taste as scrumptious as they do, not at all like the Spanish, which she finds undrinkable. She kept returning over and over for another glass of Ted's absinthe. I especially liked the Nouvelle Orleans, and the Eduard. All of the four were impeccably well balanced. We are all in for a real treat!

I look forward to more events like this, and can't wait to see more pictures of that night. Special thanks to Ted, Justin, Adam, Kallisti, and Mel. Thanks to all that attended for making this such a very special night.

Jim

By Absinthedrinker on Thursday, March 08, 2001 - 09:02 am: Edit

It's over 12 hours since anyone posted, I suspect mass absinthe poisoning. If I don't hear from someone soon I'm going to start a 'US schoolkids drank absinthe before going on gun rampage' post to kick start things.

By Rupert1029 on Thursday, March 08, 2001 - 07:54 am: Edit

Melinelly, one of the "some guy" in the picture was not me unfortuantely. I was unable to attend, even though I live relatively nearby. However, my semi nude picture can be viewed in my profile. Such an exhibitionist.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation