WIll I be Happy?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived thru March 2001:WIll I be Happy?
By Anatomist1 on Sunday, March 11, 2001 - 07:56 am: Edit

Nah. I haven't tried La Bleue yet. It doesn't seem like it would be worth the expense from where I sit. That's just a black and white photo of Deva. Not exactly riveting subject matter for a Black and White, but I was testing a new camera at the time.

The 2 most annoying things about Opera:

a) If I try to scroll down a page fast with the mouse wheel, the mouse wheel stops working, and won't come back until I close and reopen the program.

b) Can't maintain a maximized window when a popup window shows up - all windows are automatically tiled.

Actually, the most annoying thing about Opera is the way they blackmail you with that annoying permanent advertisement. I tried to pay, but something went wrong, and their customer service was awful. I gave up on it until someone provided me with a crack... I may quit using it again soon.

K.

By Bob_Chong on Sunday, March 11, 2001 - 07:51 am: Edit

Another place to look for glassware is to search for:
water goblet
wine goblet
fountain glass

on eBay. I found a couple of nice, old Fostoria glasses for cheap. Old milkshake glasses are very similar to some absinthe glasses, too.

Like Anatomist said, look for something that suits your desire for size and heft, and go for it.

The sugar ritual is totally unnecessary with Spanish absinthe. I can't imagine sweetening them. But if you're dying to try it, use a fork for now and then have SC throw in a super cheap spoon the next time you order. And get a bottle of Segarra. You won't be sorry.

BC

P.S. I just remembered--it might be good to also search for:
footed water
footed goblet

because you are looking for footed glassware.

By Heiko on Sunday, March 11, 2001 - 04:04 am: Edit

Anatomist,

someone else using Opera :-)
Althoug I'm not as impressed by that browser as I expected - it also crashes from time to time and freezes Win98. Not really better than IE or Netscape. All browsers seem to be about the same shit...

--Is that La Bleue in the glass?

By Anatomist1 on Saturday, March 10, 2001 - 05:46 pm: Edit

Wow. For some reason, things got really weird on me when I tried to add that image from my Opera browser... Had to switch to Explorer to get it done.

K.

By Anatomist1 on Saturday, March 10, 2001 - 05:44 pm: Edit

To start, I recommend buying glasses at a place like CostCutters or Pier 1 Imports. You can choose the exact shape and heft you want and get them for under $4 each. I got 4 of these for $3 each.

glass.gif

If you're looking for secondary effects, Deva 70 will likely give you less than Deva 50: the ratio of secondary effect-giving stuff to alcohol is probably higher in the lower proof beverage. (Also, I'm assuming that Deva is made so cheaply that they just add more alcohol to the 50 to get the 70.)

K.

By Anatomist1 on Saturday, March 10, 2001 - 05:40 pm: Edit

duplicate

By Anatomist1 on Saturday, March 10, 2001 - 05:36 pm: Edit

duplicate

By Anatomist1 on Saturday, March 10, 2001 - 05:35 pm: Edit

duplicate

By Heiko on Saturday, March 10, 2001 - 03:06 pm: Edit

As I have only tried the Deva 50% I cannot really comment on the Deva 70%, but in my opinion the commercially available Absinthes with 50% - 55% taste better and give me more of an "Absinthe feeling" (whatever exactly that is...).
The 70% Absinthes that I have tried were Mari Mayans and Staroplzenecky, and both (even the MM tastes MUCH better!) had this overpowering smell and taste of alcohol and made me drunk pretty quick. Although it was a very relaxed drunkenness, I felt tired pretty quick.
In comparison the Deva 50% (especially when mixed with larger amounts of water - around 1:5) is more uplifting.

For getting really fucked up, I recommend mixing a strong Death in the Afternoon (1 part Absinthe, 5 parts champagne) - after two or three glasses you will just sit and stare at the wall - but it tastes great! :-)

If you want to use a spoon, you might want to exchange the sugar with an ice-cube, as the Spanish brands are sweetened excessively (I usually take 3 heaped full spoons of sugar in a cup of coffee or tea - but especially the Deva 50% is almost too sweet for my taste even without sugar!).
A Martini-glass does pretty well too - the ritual is what you make out of it. As long as you take time to prepare and enjoy watching the louche, the kind of glass is not that important in my opinion.

By Rupert1029 on Saturday, March 10, 2001 - 02:34 pm: Edit

Glasses and spoons depend on how much money you wanna spend. You can get new models of both from SC and Eabsinthe.com. You can also go to the website Absente.com, which is frequently trashed on this board, as it should be, but they do have spoons and glasses available real cheap. There are a couple of vendors on here for high quality antiques. Go into the Absinthe Webring and you will find several of those dealers. Ebay also generally has 40-50 absinthe products (mainly posters). As for me, I have new models and antiques. I most frequently use a reproduction spoon, and an Amoeba Pilsner Glass.....cuz I am a fan of 50's stuff.

If you are totally broke, use a fork and a cup.

P.S. My experience in Glass Ordering is:
Order 4, and at least one will be broken.

By Fight4urmind on Saturday, March 10, 2001 - 02:10 pm: Edit

Thanks Rupert! I want to make sure I have the right tools for drinking when it arrives as I am becoming fascinated with the process, any suggestions on where to buy a few nice glasses and a spoon?

By Rupert1029 on Saturday, March 10, 2001 - 02:05 pm: Edit

Silly me, I just recommended Serpis for getting nicely fucked up. Even though I haven't tried Deva 70, I am sure that anything with 70 in it's name will work nicley in that department too.

By Rupert1029 on Saturday, March 10, 2001 - 01:58 pm: Edit

I have only tried the less potent Deva (55). It is very good, my favorite of all the SC products. 70 would be too potent for me, since I am somewhat of a lightweight. Mari Mayans is abit to licorice tasting for me...but it has a great louch, and nicely shaped bottle. Looks great on the shelf. I like it only ocassionally as a desert drink. SC should take about 8-10 days to arrive.

SInce you have Deva, I'll recommend Segarra next time you order (for taste, much different than others). For getting nicely fucked up, I recommend Serpis, the red stuff.

By Fight4urmind on Saturday, March 10, 2001 - 01:25 pm: Edit

Never tried it, but got some on the way. Deva 70 and Mari Mayans 70, from SC, was this a good decision? How long does it usually take to deliver from SC to the States?
Thank You!

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation