Absente by Roux that is sold in the U.S.-What is this crap?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived thru March 2001:Absente by Roux that is sold in the U.S.-What is this crap?
By Tabreaux on Monday, March 12, 2001 - 04:45 am: Edit

Germanandy, I am glad you pointed it out. All the better that others are now forewarned.

By Petermarc on Monday, March 12, 2001 - 12:17 am: Edit

and the test was done in marseille...yikes!

By Germanandy on Sunday, March 11, 2001 - 09:51 pm: Edit

i know that absente is not absinthe, i posted it just because i've received the fax and i thought it was interestening.

By Don_Walsh on Sunday, March 11, 2001 - 08:27 pm: Edit

Babalon, in a supermarket in Thailand, a bottle of Ricard (a much superior pastis to Absente) is about $12 and Pernod, which bears a noble name even if it is too sweet, is $14. I think they are about same where you are.

So if you wanted pastis, you could have saved some money. If you wanted absinthe, you got robbed. It isn't absinthe, and it isn't good pastis, it is overpriced, poor pastis posing as absinthe.

By Tabreaux on Sunday, March 11, 2001 - 06:38 pm: Edit

A few points:

(1) The presence or absence of thujone indicates nothing. There are many liqueurs that will contain traces of thujone. The presence of thujone does not mean a product is absinthe. Absinthe is comprised of a distillation of A. absinthium and other herbs. Absente contains no absinthium, and is not absinthe.

(2) It is my firm belief (soon to be proven) there is not a person on this board or eslewhere who can tell a product with 7mg/kg of thujone (which is basically nothing) from one with 70mg/kg. You can just believe that.

(3) Also, I am finding that most of those test results are bogus. Much testing for thujone everywhere is not conducted correctly, so you can take most results and throw them out the window.

By Babalon on Sunday, March 11, 2001 - 03:53 pm: Edit

Well, I haven't tred it yet, but the $45 shipping charges for Spirits Corner are not seeming too bad. The bottle of Absente I bought was about $40.
I hope it a least tastes decent. I noticed that that bottle says in teeny tiny small print,"Contain's yellow # something and Green # something food dye"
Thanks for your help folks.

By Germanandy on Sunday, March 11, 2001 - 03:18 pm: Edit

i received a fax from a german reseller for absente (thank you sven), it says that absente contains 7mg/kg thuyone.
just for your information.
fax

By Don_Walsh on Sunday, March 11, 2001 - 02:46 pm: Edit

Babalon, they are the smarmiest bunch of con men to ever hit the liquor business.

They use southernwood, not wormwood, and obfuscate about whether it can be called 'petite wormwood' but it's a red herring.

'Absente' is NOT absenta, is NOT absinthe, it is a pastis, an absinthe substitute just like (but inferior to) modern Pernod, Ricard, etc. It is an attempt to ride the coat tails of the absinthe revival in the US market with a US-importable product. The entire Crillon/Roux advertising pitch is to DECEIVE the consumer (and retailer) into believing that Absente is absinthe. It is NOT. Michel Roux is a crook.

Absente is an overpriced, overhyped third tier pastis with pretensions.

By Babalon on Sunday, March 11, 2001 - 12:07 pm: Edit

What do they mean by, "Does not contain wormwood, but instead contains "petit worm wood" which is lowr in thujones.". You can't get that info until after you've bought it and have gone to their website!!!!!

By Don_Walsh on Sunday, March 11, 2001 - 07:42 am: Edit

You will be pleased to hear that there is not nor will there ever be any licorice in our products. Ted hates the black jellybean stuff.

By Heiko on Sunday, March 11, 2001 - 06:47 am: Edit

I tried Absente, it does not taste bad, it is a fairly good pastis - I wouldn't say it tastes flat, but a bit too sweet and with some special taste I liked at first, but now I cannot stand this special overpowering taste (is that licorice?) anymore...the bottle just doesn't get empty...waste of money.
It is definitely not worth the money (here in Germany it's more expensive than Deva).
From a small picture, I thought the bottle looked pretty nice (I couldn't see most of the crap written on the label...), but actually a modern Pernod bottle looks better on the shelf.

By Tabreaux on Sunday, March 11, 2001 - 06:27 am: Edit

Absente is a marketing scam.

By Thegreenimp on Sunday, March 11, 2001 - 01:17 am: Edit

It's just a poor pastis, very flat tasting and overpriced.
If you are going to try the Spanish brands, get some Segarra, it's likely the best of the Spanish Absinthe.
Regards
Jay

By Babalon on Sunday, March 11, 2001 - 12:15 am: Edit

Has Anyone tried it? I bought it in the states which should have been a warning that it wasn't the real thing. Has anyone tried it?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation