Best Secondary effects from???

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived thru March 2001:Best Secondary effects from???
By Ekmass on Wednesday, March 14, 2001 - 02:09 am: Edit

If the shit tastes good and tickles your fancy, drink it.

By Lordhobgoblin on Tuesday, March 13, 2001 - 09:52 am: Edit

Whether you call them "Secondary effects" or some other title. Absinthe does have that little something that gives you that ever so slightly light headed lucid feeling. I don't believe that this is down to the quality of the product. Quality wine gives you the same drunken experience as cheap wine (although the taste experience and the hangover are very different).

There is something other than alcohol in Absinthe that is responsible for it's "2ndry effects", although there is also something other than alcohol in Gin (be it cheap or quality Gin), that gives Gin it's own particular "2ndry effects".

Hobgoblin

By Magnusra on Tuesday, March 13, 2001 - 09:25 am: Edit

Hi all. Please allow me to put my two cents in. I know that the "Secindary effects" were what drew me to absinthe. That said, I got quite involved on reading as much as possible, in this forum and others. And I must say that although I have yet to even sip the stuff, I have a much better appreciation for it. I now look more for taste and quality as opposed to just which one will has higher thujone. I also have a much better appreciation for what the "absinthe effect" is and the subtleties of it. So I guess I was a "junkie" and you guys have shown me the light long before I have even tried any. This forum and it's members are like a guiding light in the world of absinthe. So thank you.

By Don_Walsh on Monday, March 12, 2001 - 05:27 pm: Edit

BTW I didn't move to Thailand to produce absinthe...I moved here almost thirteen years ago, and absinthe was far from my mind.

However, I am glad I did, because living here has allowed me to accumulate and develop the unique set of affiliations that permit Ted and I to go ahead with this project (which for better or worse is absorbing all my attention and all my $$). My house smells like absinthe herbs...I go to sleep and wake up with those aromas even when I am not drinking absinthe...and lately I have not been, because I am far too busy preparing to make it on a largish scale to drink it.

By Don_Walsh on Monday, March 12, 2001 - 05:17 pm: Edit

I agree about the vivid dreaming, and have said so many times before. I believe my comment was "This alone is worth the price of admission."

Yes, absinthe produces a different 'drunk' than other sorts of alcoholic beverages, but then beer produces a different feel than does brandy. So what? I don't think absinthe produces a very different feel than other herbal liqueurs, say Chartreuse or Benedictine which have a lot in common with absinthe in terms of constituents.

By Melinelly on Monday, March 12, 2001 - 05:15 pm: Edit

or flying a thousand miles for a drink ;) ...and be ready to do it again in a hearbeat heh

By Royale on Monday, March 12, 2001 - 04:59 pm: Edit

Maybe fascination, bordering on obsessive behavior is a "secondary effect" of absinthe. I think most of us can claim to have felt that. How else can you explain searching out websites dedicated to absinthe, waiting to have it imported from Spain or even moving to Thailand to produce it? :)

By Heiko on Monday, March 12, 2001 - 04:34 pm: Edit

Here we go again...
I guess I was right that everyone new to Absinthe is very euphoric about it.
I have recognized in only a few weeks of regularly drinking Absinthe that I do not really experience something very special anymore - but I still like Absinthe better than other alcohol (I just do, don't ask me why).
BTW everything I ever experienced from Absinthe had nothing to do with hallucinating - it was just that I found myself in a sudden feeling of joy and a good mood. Feelings can be very subtle, but still make you euphoric (just like my new 21 inch monitor makes me euphoric - a "secondary effect" most people would probably not experience ;-)).

If some poets or painters describe a feeling they had, it sounds very extreme - look at how artists describe the joy of a sunset (without any chemical influence): Most people cannot feel the same - they would just say "oh yeah, I see a sunset, nothing special". A poet describes the same as an extremely emotional sensation. Emotional descriptions are metaphorical and not to be seduced word by word

Royale and Ekmass, I totally agree with what you said.

Aion, not everything is either black or white - there are of course the junkies you mentioned, but these people are certainly not interested in this forum and they would not be fascinated by Absinthe but rather stick to their (much cheaper and a thousand times more "effective") ecstasy which turns them into stupid, depressed maniacs.

Someone who is new to Absinthe is at the beginning of a process to become a connaisseur, so please give him a chance. No one can deny Absinthe has at least one effect: that of alcohol. In my opinion something in Absinthe makes this effect more pleasant than in other alcoholic drinks because it doesn't make you tired so much and gives you a clear-minded drunkenness. This of course only as long as you don't drink too much.

Jeff, I know what you mean, you're fascinated by Absinthe and don't know exactly why - this is what happened to me (and I guess many others). There's something about it, but no one seems to be able to describe what exactly it is - so just enjoy it, and as time goes by, you will also become a connaisseur (me hopefully too, I just made the first steps).

Damn, this - again - became much longer than I had intended...;-)

By Absinthesque on Monday, March 12, 2001 - 04:01 pm: Edit

With regard to secondary effects, I've certainly never experienced anything like those described by the fin de siecle writers, but I do think absinthe has a somewhat different effect from other alcoholic drinks. It tends to produce more vivid dreaming -- not always -- but frequently enough to convince me that this is a valid impression and that there is a causal connection. It also allows me to keep intact a certain clarity of mind that alcohol usually diminishes. . .not that I would drive under the influence, but I don't feel impaired in the same way that I do when I drink a good deal of wine. Oddly enough, on several mornings after drinking Mari Mayans (which purportedly has no Thujone), I have felt a strange wired sensation -- best described as a tremendous amount of energy just under the skin combined with a slightly hyper mental state. This has not happened with other brands. I have no idea what any of this means, but I am pretty well-trained in observing my inner-states, and I doubt this is simply power of suggestion.

By Mr_Rabbit on Monday, March 12, 2001 - 01:39 pm: Edit

It should also be mentioned that there is no clear consensus among the proponents of secondary effects, which brands produce the best or most effects. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason- the thing to do is try lots of different brands and see for yourself.

By Ekmass on Monday, March 12, 2001 - 07:19 am: Edit

Sorry to add my opinion to the hackneyed topic of "secondary effects" but Royale, I think you you said it perfectly. Each drink produces its own effects, not all alcoholic drinks are the same. IMO the effects from a drink are a combination of the taste and the alcohol. Getting drunk on some cheap ass ghetto wine vs.a bottle of Petrus will make you feel different. Not to mention drinking a fine and rare wine can be a more "mystical experience" than any cheap booze has to offer.

By Royale on Monday, March 12, 2001 - 07:02 am: Edit

I can attest that after numerous glasses of Don's product I did see the world as a Van Gogh painting. My abstract impression of the world around me, blurry blobs of lights and figures. This is were the term "blind drunk" comes from. Whether I was feeling secondary effects I couldn't tell you (then again, at the time, I couldn't tell you my name) but I do believe that all drugs (coffee, chocolate, alcohol and nicotine included) produce different feelings and effects. The "high" you get from absinthe is different from the "high" you get from drinking beer which is different from the "high" you get from drinking scotch, etc. If the subtlety is lost on some people so be it. Jeff drink, enjoy, experience and tell us what you feel.

By Joshua on Monday, March 12, 2001 - 05:21 am: Edit

when i first heard of absinthe,i wanted to feel the tulips,and see the transparent walls,i even heard it makes the world look as a van gogh painting,i also heard it does nothing at all,now i love taste,if i could afford it,id drink morning evening and night.that child like bandy flavor is simply heavenly.even if i mangle it with 2 cubes for one glass of deva

By Aion on Monday, March 12, 2001 - 12:07 am: Edit

Don,

Recognize that there are two very different groups of people out there: the connoisseurs and the junkies.
Don´t try to convince the junkies of the importance of flavor.
They just do not understand what you are talking about.
Actually they would drink their cat´s piss if there would be the rumor around this gives them the ultimate effect.

Heh, you seekers for cheep pleasures, throw some pills in a bottle of Hill´s and you´ll have your effects guaranteed!

Maybe I get called a square and boring now,
but for me the ultimate kick is FLAVOR and nothing else.

A.

By Don_Walsh on Sunday, March 11, 2001 - 09:18 pm: Edit

I have stated my reasons for being interested in absinthe previously, so kindly go erad the old threads on this subject rather than retread a discussion that has been talked to death many times over...as have 'secondary effects'.

Josh: if our products don't produce those alleged effects, then neither did premium absinthe in its heydey, because we make it the same way from the same materials.

I have yet to become photosensitive from drinking absinthe. I have yet to experience any color shift in vision, and I have certainly yet to experience even the mildest visual or auditory hallucinations from drinking absinthe. And I have consumed large amounts of bona fide La Bleue, and other absinthes, as well as our own products. I am not prepared to say others haven't. That would be arrogant. I am merely recounting my own observations and recommending to this newby that he not chase this sort of foolishness. The absinthe experience is a rich one and the whole 'effects' thing is a component I regard as somewhere between minor and imaginary.

By Cheese on Sunday, March 11, 2001 - 05:42 pm: Edit

Regardless of what Don says, there are plenty of people on this forum that will attest to secondary effects.

Maybe they are too subtle for him, maybe his new absinthe doesn't produce them, I can't say. Of the few that I've tried, Deva and La Bleue have been the best (as far as secondary effects go). Some people say serpis, but I've yet to see for myself.

Why is absinthe so intriguing? Good question. I can't put it to words, but I've felt the same curiosity/intrigue about absinthe ever since I heard of it too.

Josh

By Fight4urmind on Sunday, March 11, 2001 - 04:48 pm: Edit

Don,
So if you say there are no secondary effect, why are YOU drawn to absinthe? Is it truly the taste or the history, or the fascination with preparing the brew? Since I have learned of this famous apertife, I have not been able to stop thinking about it...I have some on my way...can't wait. Why is this so intriguing???

By Don_Walsh on Sunday, March 11, 2001 - 02:39 pm: Edit

FORGET secondary effects. Concentrate on flavor. Subtlety, nuance, complexity, balance. Secondary effects? You are chasing rainbows.

The first absinthe I ever drank was 4 LITERS of La Bleue, not from USA but direct from Switzerland via a good friend, cost me $30 a liter, and I drank one per week.

If these were rich in 'secondary effects' I must be dense.

Mari Mayans 70? I shared a bottle of it with the worldwide distributor James at my house and in Patpong, never a secondary effect I could notice.

I now MAKE better absinthes than these, totally authentic, no artificial anything, so I KNOW what goes in there, and if there are 'secondary effects' they are lost on me, or too subtle to bother with.

You are new at this, you say. My advice is stick to taste, it will never fail you. Don't be suckered by the Czech lies and liars, they sell gargle.

By Fight4urmind on Sunday, March 11, 2001 - 01:05 pm: Edit

Besides La Bleue, which will produce the best secondary effects?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation