New to the forum

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived thru March 2001:New to the forum
By Tabreaux on Thursday, March 15, 2001 - 10:19 am: Edit

And I can tell you from experience that there is no guarantee that the contents are any good. Some are fine, some have 'putrified' into a stinky, horrible mess.

By Bob_Chong on Thursday, March 15, 2001 - 10:18 am: Edit

From what I've read here, the stuff is never "at auction." To get some vintage absinthe, you have to have amazing connections AND tons of money (i.e., many thousands of dollars U.S.) to get a single bottle.

Otherwise, just chill out and wait for the Jade rollout.

BC

By Chrysippvs on Thursday, March 15, 2001 - 10:15 am: Edit

Assuming you can find one. With full labels, still lead sealed and in overall great shape. Around 2700-3500 dollars. One in not so good shape will go for around 2500 or so.

That is assuming you can find one, french collectors nearly always get first dips on such items when they rear their head, we practically get what they don't want, so vintage bottles don't show up much.

For those lucky enough to have one and taste from it you can begin to understand why they are so much.

By Wolfgang on Thursday, March 15, 2001 - 10:09 am: Edit

Here`s a question for M. Breaux or anybody who may know...

What`s the average price at auction for a vintage full bottle of Perno (or other good brand) absinthe in good condition ?

Wolf.

By Magnusra on Wednesday, March 14, 2001 - 08:32 pm: Edit

Ahh I see. Thank you.

By Absinthesque on Wednesday, March 14, 2001 - 02:32 am: Edit

For my review of Absinthe N.S., see the post entitled Alicante Absinthe. . .Sorry for the misleading title.

Mark

By Melinelly on Tuesday, March 13, 2001 - 09:29 pm: Edit

no, they're not dose marked, PV. and they're smaller than traditional absinthe glasses too (i haven't taken an exact measurement, but i think they hold around 200ml of liquid). they are nice glasses though. they're a pleasant shape and have a nice feel in the hand. on my site of pics from the nola gathering, there's one labelled "the fountain takes a break to pose for this picture" and on the right is one of the spirits corner glasses partially blocked by another glass, but you can get an idea of what it looks like =)

http://www.geocities.com/melinelly/absinthe.html

By Perruche_Verte on Tuesday, March 13, 2001 - 09:03 pm: Edit

Speaking of SC glasses, Melinelly & others, what's the word on those? Are they dose-marked?

I likewise have a few on the way, held up due to a late shipment to SC...

By Tabreaux on Tuesday, March 13, 2001 - 03:40 pm: Edit

It's a Spanish absinthe that just turned up at SC.

By Timk on Tuesday, March 13, 2001 - 03:36 pm: Edit

I must have been away for a bit, but what is absinthe N.S.? lol

By Loucheliver on Tuesday, March 13, 2001 - 02:17 pm: Edit

Welcome, welcome,
To taste a pile of absinthes, you are cordially invited to the AA of Pa shindig this Sat. I sent you an email w/a menu of the good, and mundane, stuff that will be on hand. The "cost effective drip fountain" will be in action as well.

The Liver

By Magnusra on Tuesday, March 13, 2001 - 01:33 pm: Edit

Hi All,
Thanks for the warm welcome. I did read the reviews of the varieties in New Orleans. I was unaware that they were the soon to be Jade products. We should be in for a treat soon! Yea I sent Chrysippvs an email just waiting for a response. I also tried SC but they said it would be a while as they had problems with their last shipment. I also have a bottle of N.S. on the way, I'm quite interested. Thanks for the input!

By Melinelly on Tuesday, March 13, 2001 - 12:46 pm: Edit

welcome to the board, magnusra.

still waiting on more word on the NS meself. as for alternative absintheware, there have been a few good threads here before. just keep your eyes open whenever you go shopping, there's plenty of stuff out there that suits drinking absinthe quite well. mel and i picked up a four pack of glasses at target for under $20 that are great... thick glass stem, bistro type bowl that flares at the top. SC also has nice little glasses, we used those at the tasting in nola.

By Morriganlefey on Tuesday, March 13, 2001 - 09:42 am: Edit

Be sure to read the "Was the forum down or does everyone have a hangover?" thread for many or our (brief) reviews of the 4 varieties of the coming Jade products, as taste-tested at the New Orleans forum gathering on March 3rd!

- Morrigan

By Tabreaux on Tuesday, March 13, 2001 - 09:34 am: Edit

Welcome to the board.

No question is a silly question.

Only one person on this BB has tried Absinthe N.S. I have a bottle on order, and will issue a full comparative report soon.

A good place to get absinthe ware? Chrysippvs and others will chime in on that subject.

The forthcoming Jade products are connoisseur-grade absinthes that will be available soon. They are the most historically accurate absinthes money can buy.

By Magnusra on Tuesday, March 13, 2001 - 09:11 am: Edit

Hello all,
I am a newbie to the forum. Don't worry I have read quite a bit here and on Mike I.'s forum (Which I have been posting on for a little while). So no silly questions from me that most of you are tired of hearing. But I do have a few questions. Has anyone tasted Absinthe N.S. yet? Does anyone know a good place to get absinthe ware (Glasses, spoons, etc.)not so much antiques but more like reproductions or newer products? I would like to get the antiques eventually but the budget isn't letting me just yet. Also could someone elaborate on the forthcoming "Jade" product? Ted, Don, perhaps? Thanks in advance for the help. Oh and I must thank Kallista for this amazing site, it's absolutely the best resource on the net for the modern day Absinthuer!

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation