Cigar Aficionado Magazine

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived thru March 2001:Cigar Aficionado Magazine
By Melinelly on Sunday, March 18, 2001 - 02:39 pm: Edit

if there was any similarity, i wouldn't be an absinthe drinker. i can only take like a hit or two of pot or else i fall asleep and have REALLY bad flashbacks =P

nope, definitely a different experience partaking of the green fairy

By Heiko on Sunday, March 18, 2001 - 11:01 am: Edit

I wonder who came up with this THC/thujone similarity? Just drink a glass of Absinthe and you know for sure that it's not acting the same way...
A friend of mine first doubted that he would like Absinthe because he absolutely hates the effect of THC (and he had also read something about this) - the first glass convinced him that there is absolutely no such similarity. This is the best proof: he would have killed me if it acted the same way (because I persuaded him to drink a glass) ;-)

By Petermarc on Saturday, March 17, 2001 - 03:40 pm: Edit

wine spectator has had full page adds (and inside and/or back cover, i believe) for absente
and is owned by the same people as cigar aficionado...

By Anatomist1 on Saturday, March 17, 2001 - 12:04 pm: Edit

Zack,

As a hothead who has stepped in it too many times by writing letters to editors, I would advise against such a course. Most here have wisely avoided fanning any such flames. Better to ignore what can be ignored. It has been my experience that even a well-crafted and erudite letter to an editor can easily backfire or have unintended side-effects. It's easy to overestimate the intelligence and emotional resilience of the average periodical reader. Unless you have a well established reputation with the readers, since they probably won't care about how much sense you make, it merely creates a first impression of you is 'negative'. Eeegad! Also, such letters don't matter to the editors, except insofar as they can cut out important bits to make the letters appear more strident and unreasonable and then print them.

K.

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, March 17, 2001 - 01:36 am: Edit

The THC/thujone alleged connection has been thoroughly disproven, there is not a shred of evidence to the contrary. The hypothesis that THC and thujone shared a neurochemical pathway was never more than a thin hypothesis based on alleged structural similarities; the problem is that reality does not always coincide with suspected structural similarities. It turns out that thujone tweaks the GABA system, mildly and transiently, while cannabinoids are involved with an entirely different receptor site.

Apart from the BAD biochemistry, the entire THC/thujone hypothesis was a time bomb waiting to explode and see absinthe end up on a DEA schedule. It was also rooted in wishful thinking by admirers of cannabinoids. it is WRONG and WRONG HEADED.

By Zack on Saturday, March 17, 2001 - 01:25 am: Edit

Yeah the whole article seems to be a marketing ploy for Absente. The article was okay, in my opinion, but it wasn't really saying anything. Then when I went back to read the Absente inset (complete with picture of Michel Roux) I just got mad. It goes as far as saying the Spanish and Portuguese have created "an authentic absinthe." It also implies grain alcohol is the best alcohol for absinthe production. I would like to know if any of the experts here, like Ted, have read the article...perhaps we could be seeing a letter to the editor in the future? Just a thought ;-)
This is my 1st post, by-the-way. So, hello to everyone!

By Tabreaux on Friday, March 16, 2001 - 04:54 pm: Edit

Sugar, thujone, explode? Mr. Roux is as much stupid as he is a buffoon.

By Purplehaze67 on Friday, March 16, 2001 - 03:35 pm: Edit

I picked up the Cigar Aficionado today. Here is what they had to say about Hill's:

"They claim it did very well [in Britain] But, for anyone passionate about about the romance of absinthe, Hill's was pretty thin gruel."

It also states that 'La Fee' was invented as a more palatable substitute for the English market.

Other highlights:

"Absinthe aficionados on the internet have tracked down 30 labels produced by little enterprises from the Iberian Peninsula to the Japanese archipelago."

""...the European Union, which permits 10 mg [of thujone] a liter, or almost three times La Fee's content of 3.4."

A little sidebar about Absente in the US. Michel Roux (of Absolut Vodka and Bombay Gin fame), is behind this push. He says one of the reasons he created Absente is that "...much of the Absinthe being sold dishonors the original product." He goes on to bash the Czech stuff, but then says that the Spanish & Portuguese brands are "authentic".

He is calling Absente a "modern" or "refined" (as opposed to imitation) Absinthe.

On the 'sugar ritual' and Absente "It creates a chemical reaction with the wormwood that makes the thujone content just explode in the drink."

It appears that the Absinthe feature is just there to create curiousity and awareness on the part of the reader, who then will read the Absente 'ad'.

If anyone wants this mag, it's yours. Send an email to purplehaze67@provide.net. First come, first served.

thanks
Rob

By Wormwood on Friday, March 16, 2001 - 04:02 am: Edit

Read some of the past threads here. Someone has already spread both of those rumors, several times.

Even the Absinthe FAQ has a picture of THC and thujone and suggests they are similar in shape so they might act on the body in a similar manner.

People are alway asking if drug tests will spot absinthe (it will not, unless your are tested for alcohol).

By Bjacques on Thursday, March 15, 2001 - 07:59 am: Edit

Absinthe is perfect -- slightly illegal (not DEA Schedule 1) and thus acceptably louche. Cuban cigars no longer provide that frisson of no-risk outlawry.

Wanna have some fun? Spread the rumor that thujone is a chemical cousin to THC so it will show up in a piss test.

By _Blackjack on Wednesday, March 14, 2001 - 08:54 pm: Edit

Consider the godawful pretentions, trendier-than-thou attutude of CA, I bet money it's a rave review of Hill's.

CA is so full of itself as to be unreadible. Even othe cigar magazines make fun of it.

By Bob_Chong on Wednesday, March 14, 2001 - 08:14 pm: Edit

Teaser from the website (but no article):

The Green Goddess: Banned for nearly a century, the shimmering emerald elixir of absinthe, inspiration to countless poets and artists, is making a quiet comeback.

By Melinelly on Wednesday, March 14, 2001 - 05:16 pm: Edit

cool, i was planning on buying this issue for my brother cuz of the cover and article on the Sopranos =)

By Betina on Wednesday, March 14, 2001 - 04:38 pm: Edit

An interesting article on Absinthe is written in the new April 2001 magazine.....

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation