Logan Absinthes - My Review

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archives Thru July 2001: Topics Archived thru March 2001:Logan Absinthes - My Review
By Royale on Friday, March 16, 2001 - 02:42 am: Edit

Heiko and Magnusra touch lightly on a point that has been on my mind for a while please see "Standard Rating System??" Thread and tell me what you think.

By Pikkle on Thursday, March 15, 2001 - 11:16 pm: Edit

Yes, Staroplzenecky is very very bad... unless you like drinking raw sewage mixed with toxic chemicals... La Bleue is very very good but the price isn't for your regular ameteur nights... La Fee in my opinion is a slightly more refined Deva but does not transcend that 'anything special' status and Segarra is something unto it's own, different but not necessarily delicate and precise... I like it a lot though. Can't wait for the Jade products...

By Heiko on Thursday, March 15, 2001 - 09:48 pm: Edit

Magnusra, as Ted mentions similarity to Staroplzenecky and Hills, I would say the scale from 1 to 5 is not a good idea: better make it a scale from 1 to 100 ;-)

I don't know any of the Jade products (yet), but even to compare Deva with Staroplzenecky, a scale from 1 to 5 wouldn't suffice...
Hills is more drinkable than Staroplzenecky - if you like the taste of cheap bubble-gum...

I guess I have never had any liquor that tasted as bad as Staroplzenecky - it is good for totally knocking you off your feet, but I have the fear that this comes from bad alcohol (at least it tastes and smells like this...)

By Magnusra on Thursday, March 15, 2001 - 09:03 pm: Edit

Thanks for the review. I did not notice this brand on that site until now. Wow $140 + s&h. On a scale of 1-5 1 being Hill's, and 5 being soon to be released Jade products, where would you say these fall? Also, has anyone tried the La Bleues form this site? There might have been a review but I must have missed it. Thanks..

By Tabreaux on Thursday, March 15, 2001 - 08:18 pm: Edit

I recently received two different bottles of the Absinthe Logan family of products from the Czech Republic. These products are sold through Logan Distributors, which operate the absinth.e shop (www.absinth.com). This distributor does a very good job of processing orders quicly. The bottles arrived in just a few days and were well packed.

Both bottles are clear glass and are 500mL in volume. The labels feature the head of what looks to be a mythological character and has what looks like shapes of absinthium tops printed around the periphery. The labels are devoid of information other than the volume and alcoholic strength. Also significant is the fact that they abandoned the Czech spelling ("absinth") in favor of the French spelling, perhaps such as to imply that these are intended to be more 'traditional' products than the usual 'reanimator juice' reputation that Czech makers have earned. Naturally, the descriptions propose that both products are derived from centuries old French and Swiss recipes, but as well all know, these descriptions are (improperly) used to describe virtually every product that comes from the Czech Republic.

Absinthe Logan 70%
This bottle has a tiny sketch of someone painting a rainbow across a canvas, which seemingly implies that this is an artists' drink. The aroma of this product is something like a cross between Staroplzenecky and Tunel. It has a medicinal texture with a strong hint of fennel and anise being virtually non-existent. In the bottle, the liqueur appears to have a light green color but with bluish tint. In the glass, the liqueur is Hillís blue. When water is added, there is no louche, but rather density gradient lines. The flavor can be described as having the same medicinal texture as Hillís (but perhaps more subtle), with distinct fennel notes and anise being almost nonexistent. This product is unmistakably Czech, but is easier on the taste buds than Schulz or Starop.

Absinthe Logan '100'
This product differs from the 70% in that it is of a lesser strength (55%), and claims to contain 100mg/kg of thujone. This product is certainly darker in color, and has a forest green tint. The aroma is positively earthy, and smells of absinthium. I tend to believe that the product may contain a lot of thujone, as I detect the dark minty flavor of that compound. I do not know what the threshold of detection for thujone is, but I detect something here. I feel srongly that the dark color and aroma is derived from the deliberate addition of absinthium extract. The flavor of the neat liqueur is positively medicinal mint with just a slight hint of anise, and the flavor not nearly as full as I would have guessed from the aroma. This product gives only the slightest louche when water is added (a la Sebor), and adding water only thins the flavor and makes it watery. As to who will buy this product at $140US for 500mL, I do not know.

By Tabreaux on Thursday, March 15, 2001 - 08:17 pm: Edit

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation